Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Dec 3, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #4,756 of 5,248

frown.gif

I will definitely be comparing against my D2K. And if that's the case, still a V-shape, I'm not a fan of the Fostex "house" sound. Denon was certainly ahead in that regard.

+1

My D2000 ain't going nowhere for now...unless the THX00 proves to be much better.   There can be only one, so one of them has to go (I'm kinda hoping the D2000 stays 'cause it's cheaper...but that Fostex is sooooo good looking).

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #4,757 of 5,248

+1

My D2000 ain't going nowhere for now...unless the THX00 proves to be much better.   There can be only one, so one of them has to go (I'm kinda hoping the D2000 stays 'cause it's cheaper...but that Fostex is sooooo good looking).

hhh I wish I had that mind set, in my mind it's "I can only have 3... ok maybe four is ok!"

Though my Poor Banana hangars while they offer great support look like crap xD I need to find a more classy way to hang my headphones on something soft! I Don't like putting the head bands right onto Metal, 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #4,759 of 5,248
welp guys the TH X00 SE out with Alpha Pads sounds a HELLUVA lot like my LA D5k [which is balanced mind you] point being, it's worth the money if your a D5k fan 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,760 of 5,248
  I am inclined to sell mine, for about $400. The D2000. Think anyone is interested?

US market for the stock D2000 ranges from $250-300 if that helps. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,761 of 5,248
  I am inclined to sell mine, for about $400. The D2000. Think anyone is interested?

US market for the stock D2000 ranges from $250-300 if that helps. 

I'll mention I paid around $550 ish for my first Modded D2k, it was nice. Lvl 2 Mods by mark, so Dampened Drivers an Lawton Pads

if yours is modded then $500 ish may be alright, if it's stock though $300 would be the upper limit I'd think. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,762 of 5,248
I have been renovating a pair of D2K painting the frame piano black and changed the cable to a Forza audio works Claire HPC mk2.
I'm still playing with mods so the extra deep monkey pod cups from member lohb is just put on with tape for now.

ke9P30B.jpg

X8woX4k.jpg

At the moment I'm using alpha pads but I'm finding the sound to be really dark so I might order a pair of Lawton pads
o7GpdW0.jpg

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,763 of 5,248
Dec 8, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #4,764 of 5,248
So I am wondering if a modded D2K with wood cups, it has only been dampened and the Alpha pads, would be simular to the new Massdrop Fostex. Hearing that the Massdrop Fostex is similar to the D5K makes me wonder if this would be a significant upgrade from my modded D2k, any thoughts or comparisons as of yet?

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #4,765 of 5,248
So I am wondering if a modded D2K with wood cups, it has only been dampened and the Alpha pads, would be simular to the new Massdrop Fostex. Hearing that the Massdrop Fostex is similar to the D5K makes me wonder if this would be a significant upgrade from my modded D2k, any thoughts or comparisons as of yet?

Well I own both a Modded D5k an the Fostex TH X00, an honestly if you like the Dark sound of the Alpha Pads, I recommend you move to the TH X00 an put the Alphas on that headphone

I did a real quick comparison today before I sent my Alphas to Mark to be Lawton Padded, an I found them to be very very simmilar sounding. I even Swapped the Stock pads of the TH X00 [which are disgustingly simmilar to the old Stock Denon Pads] onto my D5k an the Alphas onto my TH X00, in the end I really found them to have a very simmilar bass quality an quanity! I do think how ever even with the Alpha Pads the TH X00 has a touch more central an upper mid preseance

Point being, I think you would really enjoy the TH X00 as an upgrade to a Modded D2k, though it's hard to say exactly as you have extra Deep Cups, while my D5k an TH X00 have the same cup depth [more or less] 

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,766 of 5,248
Msheny, thanks for the comparison. As long as I have has my D2K, I have been hoping to get the D5K as it seems like a significant upgrade, I wish I have the opportunity to hear the difference between my modded D2K and the reasonable Massdrop Fostex, the D5k has always been out of my reach as they have such a high sale price, but it appears as it won't be long until we have an onset of "buyers remorse" or "not quite the sound I wanted" sales of the Fostex, I see them already coming up.

James

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,767 of 5,248
Msheny, thanks for the comparison. As long as I have has my D2K, I have been hoping to get the D5K as it seems like a significant upgrade, I wish I have the opportunity to hear the difference between my modded D2K and the reasonable Massdrop Fostex, the D5k has always been out of my reach as they have such a high sale price, but it appears as it won't be long until we have an onset of "buyers remorse" or "not quite the sound I wanted" sales of the Fostex, I see them already coming up.

James

Right, I think you'll have a chance to get a pair at an even lower price! 

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4,768 of 5,248

James

I've not heard the new Fostex but have the D2K, D5K, D7K, had the TH600 and TH900 and maybe it's my 54 year old ears, but there is so little difference between them all that selling one to buy another (especially at the lower end as this situation is) expecting much difference seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment.  A  modded D2K like yours is awfully good on it's own. 

Just my experience.  

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,769 of 5,248
I've not heard the new Fostex but have the D2K, D5K, D7K, had the TH600 and TH900 and maybe it's my 54 year old ears, but there is so little difference between them all that selling one to buy another (especially at the lower end as this situation is) expecting much difference seems to be setting yourself up for disappointment.  A  modded D2K like yours is awfully good on it's own. 

Just my experience.  

That is exactly what I want to know, if that's the case, I would stick with my D2K, I refinished the wood cups myself, so they are hard to part with. Wish the Massdrop version was on something like Amazon, where I could try for a couple of weeks and if I'm not happy, return at only the cost of shipping back! My local resources are slim and I have done this before. This damn hobby though makes me constantly wanting to "upgrade" . Need to slow down and enjoy what I have.

James

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #4,770 of 5,248
  Well I own both a Modded D5k an the Fostex TH X00, an honestly if you like the Dark sound of the Alpha Pads, I recommend you move to the TH X00 an put the Alphas on that headphone

I did a real quick comparison today before I sent my Alphas to Mark to be Lawton Padded, an I found them to be very very simmilar sounding. I even Swapped the Stock pads of the TH X00 [which are disgustingly simmilar to the old Stock Denon Pads] onto my D5k an the Alphas onto my TH X00, in the end I really found them to have a very simmilar bass quality an quanity! I do think how ever even with the Alpha Pads the TH X00 has a touch more central an upper mid preseance

Point being, I think you would really enjoy the TH X00 as an upgrade to a Modded D2k, though it's hard to say exactly as you have extra Deep Cups, while my D5k an TH X00 have the same cup depth [more or less] 

Mshenay,

Are those the pads we traded?  What is Mark gonna do to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back