Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 15, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #4,711 of 5,248
Don't mind if it's desktop or portable if it can run connected to the power supply (no battery-only amp). Budget is around $150 for amp only and $250 ~ 300 if it's an amp/dac.

PS.: Don't live in the USA so a place that ships internationally would be nice 
regular_smile%20.gif

Thanks!

The aune x1s DAC/AMP combo is awesome value for money
http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-x1s-32bit-384khz-dsd-dac-headphone-amplifier

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #4,712 of 5,248
  Don't mind if it's desktop or portable if it can run connected to the power supply (no battery-only amp). Budget is around $150 for amp only and $250 ~ 300 if it's an amp/dac.

PS.: Don't live in the USA so a place that ships internationally would be nice 
regular_smile .gif

Thanks!

Bushmaster Mk2 / Caiman Mk 2 spring to mind -DAC/Amp combos.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #4,713 of 5,248
The aune x1s DAC/AMP combo is awesome value for money
http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-x1s-32bit-384khz-dsd-dac-headphone-amplifier

I forgot about the Aune... Yeah, I agree that the Aune is probably a superb choice. But now that I think about it, maybe we should recommend a slightly warmer sounding amp/dac or amp since the Denon's are slightly bright sounding? The Aune is generally a bit clinical and bright sounding and the same could be said of the Objective. 

Maybe a tube amp? I own the Geek Out 1000 and the D5K, and they both work well. So maybe the Geek Out V2 would be a good bet. Nice tube like sound from the Class A amplifier. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #4,714 of 5,248
I forgot about the Aune... Yeah, I agree that the Aune is probably a superb choice. But now that I think about it, maybe we should recommend a slightly warmer sounding amp/dac or amp since the Denon's are slightly bright sounding? The Aune is generally a bit clinical and bright sounding and the same could be said of the Objective. 

Maybe a tube amp? I own the Geek Out 1000 and the D5K, and they both work well. So maybe the Geek Out V2 would be a good bet. Nice tube like sound from the Class A amplifier. 
I agree that aune can me a tad bright in its sound, but the x1s is less bright than the aune s16 and the aune x1s gets more smooth in the top end when it has some good burn in.

I use the x1s as a DAC and have the project ember II with a Shuguang CV181 tube its superb amp.

I could live without the project ember and that's the reason I'm selling it as I'm moving for a portable setup :)

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #4,718 of 5,248
Nov 15, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #4,719 of 5,248
I have an original caiman, its quite bright. How does the mk2 differ?

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4,720 of 5,248
I have an original caiman, its quite bright. How does the mk2 differ?

I think it is a ground up rebuild on the Mk 2 model, and recently he advanced the firmware for glitches and improved upper-end SQ.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #4,721 of 5,248

I think it is a ground up rebuild on the Mk 2 model, and recently he advanced the firmware for glitches and improved upper-end SQ.

I've been happy with mine for the most part, Its been good with my other headphones but there is something that doesnt gel with my D2000's.

This could be a fault with just mine but I have mine connected to a stereo amp for speakers and if I use any input apart from USB it clips my amp. For these reasons I have just got a Chord MOJO, and the Denons sound real good with that, no sibilance anymore. The mojo is out of the original posters price range which is a shame as it is a cracking pair. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,722 of 5,248
So let me ask you guys this, how do I get a replacment headband assembly for the D5k

I noticed the sound is a little uneven on my D5k, I think it's from either the pads or the headband

Today I'm going to swap out my pads from one to the other side an see if it's a pad issue, maybe try to recondition them

Sadly I had my D5K in storage in a box with lot's of padding, but it was in my car during that nasty rain storm we had here in SC, I found one of the Pads in a damp part of the box an I think it's shrunk a little as if I press in a little the bass levels sound even again, or if I pull the upper part of the pad away from my head then once again the sound is rbalanced again

I've confimred it's not an issue with the Track or my amplifier or my own ears

I might take this as an oppertunity to grab a pair of lawton pad too maybe. I Had them on my D2k, I do like how Dark the Alpha Pads are though so we'll see

I actually asked mark what it would cost to get the headphone recondition, I've got a missing screw in the driver assembly as well, an I'd prefer a few of the headband screws to be tightened 

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4,723 of 5,248
So let me ask you guys this, how do I get a replacment headband assembly for the D5k

I noticed the sound is a little uneven on my D5k, I think it's from either the pads or the headband

Today I'm going to swap out my pads from one to the other side an see if it's a pad issue, maybe try to recondition them

Sadly I had my D5K in storage in a box with lot's of padding, but it was in my car during that nasty rain storm we had here in SC, I found one of the Pads in a damp part of the box an I think it's shrunk a little as if I press in a little the bass levels sound even again, or if I pull the upper part of the pad away from my head then once again the sound is rbalanced again

I might take this as an oppertunity to grab a pair of lawton pad too maybe. I Had them on my D2k, I do like how Dark the Alpha Pads are though so we'll see

I actually asked mark what it would cost to get the headphone recondition, I've got a missing screw in the driver assembly as well, an I'd prefer a few of the headband screws to be tightened 

What is it exactly you need ? Is the headband pleather ruined ??

If so I replied a page back with this

inally Posted by leobigfield View Post

Hi guys. I was looking for a way to repair my D2000 headband since it's falling apart. Any suggestions on where to buy something that can replace it? International shipping please biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Unfortunately there is no spare parts for this or anyone making something you can buy and put on yourself to my knowledge.

I know martins custom do headbands if you send in your headphone.

An easy fix you can do yourself is get some thin thin lamp skin. ( it's important it's thin )

Disassemble the headband from the rest of the structure it's 2 screw to the suspension lid and 2 screws holding the metal band.

Now cut the leather so it reached around the original headband with some to spare.

Now get yourself some textile glue and on the underside of the headband you glue one side of the leather make sure it's nice and plain let it dry.

Now you wrap the leather around the headband work with the leather to get it smooth and nice then mark off any excess leather and cut it off now glue the underside again and wrap the leather make sure not to touch the glue until you have it nice and level with the headband and then glue it in place

Time to reassemble the headband this is where it's important that it was thin leather or you will not be able to close the lid to the suspension.

Depending on time and skill invested the underside of the headband may or may not look acceptable if not get yourself a sennheiser hd650 head cushion and glue it on the underside to hide the joint where you glued the leather.

Hope I make sense smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #4,724 of 5,248

I actually asked mark what it would cost to get the headphone reconditioned
, I've got a missing screw in the driver assembly as well, an I'd prefer a few of the headband screws to be tightened 

This alone could be causing your sound to be uneven. One cup is breathing more than the other, which will decrease the bass with these headphones. I am willing to bet that if you put a screw in there the sound will even out.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,725 of 5,248
This alone could be causing your sound to be uneven. One cup is breathing more than the other, which will decrease the bass with these headphones. I am willing to bet that if you put a screw in there the sound will even out.

well today it doesn't sound as bad so :/ It's a tough call. What I'm going to do is send these to Mark an have him replace the screw, he already confirmed that he has a spare. Additionally I'm going to grab the Lawton Pads again, so I can use these Alphas with my Fostex X00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back