Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 5, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #4,621 of 5,248
Thank you all for your reply but I'm thinking about saying goodbye to my D5000. They gave me much joy for more than 8 years (sniff, the memories). I think it is time for something else :)

Quote:
  most certainly the cable. could be where it connects inside the headphone, or it could be at the stereo plug. I have now taken apart a couple Denons and recabled them, so I could help you out if you're in San Diego. If you don't want to learn how to solder, you'll probably need to take them or send them to someone who can repair them.

I'm from Belgium, Europe. I think San Diego would be a bit too far for me. :-D Thanx for the offer anyway!

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #4,623 of 5,248
  And now that I got the attention of fellow owners of the D5000, in your honest opinion: is the D7100 (music maniac) a true successor?? They are on my maybe-list.

Not really sure about the D7100. I suppose if you really want something that actually sounds and looks different, you can go for it.

If you just want an improved D5000, then the Fostex Th600/900 phones are no-brainers.

Just depends how much of a departure you want to take from your D5000; you want to take a chance or play it safe?​

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #4,624 of 5,248
  And now that I got the attention of fellow owners of the D5000, in your honest opinion: is the D7100 (music maniac) a true successor?? They are on my maybe-list.

Having owned the D7100, D600, D2000/5000 and 7000, the 7100 is not in the same class IMO.  Very comfy, great bass but just not the same quality sound. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #4,626 of 5,248
  ​
Not sure I am reading this right, but are you implying that the 7100 is not even on the same class as its cheaper brother, the D600?

Sorry I wasn't clear.  From memory, the D600 and 7100 were basically equals. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #4,627 of 5,248
Still like my Lawton modded D5000 along with my HD800 ,they make a great combo and when i feel like thumping they deliver                                                                           

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #4,628 of 5,248
Hmmmm, thank you all for the feedback. I've read it also elsewhere that the quality is not the same. Such a shame :-/ But I also listened to the new MM400 and they are definitey not the same class. :-/

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #4,633 of 5,248
Ok thanks...

What sought of headphones would you recommend?

Source
Astro mix amp
Silent cinema

If you want actual surround sound instead of virtual surround sound, then obviously any stereo headphone would not make sense. They do, or atleast did, make actual surround headphones though with multiple drivers inside the earcups. I remember Zalman had one that has since been discontinued. There's not much to choose from and from what I read, the sound quality doesn't match that of dedicated stereo headphones.

If you're okay with virtual/simulated surround sound, then any good pair of headphones will fit the bill. Headphones with good seperation and soundstage will tend to excel in this field. The D2000 has both these qualities. The effectiveness of the surround will largely depend on the device that's processing the surround sound, whether it is from your receiver, soundcard, or external dsp device.

If you prefer an all-in-one solution and your playback device is a computer, look into the higher end USB gaming headphones from Turtle Beach, RAZER, and Tritton. These have DSP's builtin to them to process surround sound material for headphone usage. Some of these headphones even have dolby digital or dts certification. I don't know how good these headphones sounds, but I doubt they will sound as good as the D2000 since they are aimed at gamers.

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #4,634 of 5,248
FYI guys - selling a pair of Denon D7000 cups - direct replacement for a D5000.

Here's a couple of pics that may interest you as well................

Audeze Vegan pads vs Lawton angles on my D5000.  Can't mount them right now due to them being double sided taped to the HFM rings as I have them mounted on my HE-400. 

Aug 10, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,635 of 5,248
Oh boy, I'd be tempted if you'd ship to NZ :xf_eek:

BTW, which pads do you reckon you prefer for the D5000? Mine came with some modded stock pads but they're fairly deteriorated and a bit uncomfortable. I bought the Alpha pads which are super comfortable but I feel the distance between the driver and my ear degrades the sound somewhat - I prefer the way they sound with the stock pads... unsure if I can justify the cost of those Lawton pads, as tempting as they are. Might just need to find a new pair of stock pads (though the pads for the TH600/900 interest me)

Also need to figure a way to repair the headband so they don't look so untidy :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back