Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Nov 16, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,306 of 5,248
I've read the same things about them but I disassembled my old pair completely a couple times and found that all the parts are very robust and durable. I think the people who have had parts break were probably beating the hell out of them. Every part of the headband assembly is a metal of some sort.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4,308 of 5,248
  Anything I should look out for when buying a used pair? Saw some people mention them being quite fragile and some small parts falling off here and there. 

Ive had my D-5000 for a couple years now no lost screws or anything that fell off ,i think its a question of how ruff a person is with them and with all the HP Denon sold  a couple complaints here and there is not the norm imo. When i want more bass those are the ones i use .Mine are Lawton modded with Lawton pads ,wood cups and damping makes for a more control bass i would think .

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #4,310 of 5,248
The screws that hold the cups on are a known issue.  I still think the D2000s are a great phone, I could probably be happy with just those.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #4,311 of 5,248
  The screws that hold the cups on are a known issue.  I still think the D2000s are a great phone, I could probably be happy with just those.

I've never had any problems with my D2000's. BTW, I've owned mine for 5 years now. That being said, I'm very careful with my gear. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #4,312 of 5,248
I'm going to use my D2000 more sparingly from now on.   I used the Denon exclusively for a little more than a month and when I finally tried to use my other headphones, most of them sounded bass-light.   Things are back to normal now -- I can enjoy other models.  It took a week to get me weaned off the D2000.  At one point I thought I would have to sell all my cans and just stick to the Denon (and Fostex) line. 
blink.gif

I thought I had turned into a basshead.
eek.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #4,313 of 5,248
Just a comment on the durability thing, Ive dropped mine twice ever, desk height. I was furious that it happened, but they escaped with no damage at all. These cans are tougher than people give credit, the only issue I'm running into after I think 3 years roughly is the rubber stress reliefs on the cans is about to come off, but some glue will very quickly correct it. 

And mine are Lawton Damped, and have Lawton Pads. Doubt ill ever sell these things, I also did order a long time ago extra swivel kits should the worse come and they break, cost like $25, but I know I can repair them without struggling to find the parts should it ever happen. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #4,314 of 5,248
I think Loctite was recommended for the swivel screw. Apart from that, I think they last well barring pad wear.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,315 of 5,248
   the rubber stress reliefs on the cans is about to come off, but some glue will very quickly correct it. 

if by stress relief you mean the rubber thingies that fit into the metal coloured area, and have the cable coming out of them, then note that i tried "contact cement"/"contact glue" (not sure if theres a translation to english), super glue, and a superglue-baking soda mix but the things still wouldnt stick... i hope you have more luck than i did, please let me know if you find a way

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #4,316 of 5,248
Quote:Originally Posted by adamlr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the rubber stress reliefs on the cans is about to come off, but some glue will very quickly correct it. 

if by stress relief you mean the rubber thingies that fit into the metal coloured area, and have the cable coming out of them, then note that i tried "contact cement"/"contact glue" (not sure if theres a translation to english), super glue, and a superglue-baking soda mix but the things still wouldnt stick... i hope you have more luck than i did, please let me know if you find a way

I don't think those are that important or even needed. When I recabled my D2K, I forgot to insert those pieces from the stock. However I made sure to have the knots just before the wires come out of the cups. The knots prevent the wires from pulling directly the soldered joints inside the cups. I tried to pull the wires and made sure the positioned knots were effective before closing the cups. 

Here is a pic of my recabled D2K. You can see the wires coming out of the cups clean. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #4,317 of 5,248

I don't think those are that important or even needed. When I recabled my D2K, I forgot to insert those pieces from the stock. However I made sure to have the knots just before the wires come out of the cups. The knots prevent the wires from pulling directly the soldered joints inside the cups. I tried to pull the wires and made sure the positioned knots were effective before closing the cups. 

Here is a pic of my recabled D2K. You can see the wires coming out of the cups clean. 

i realize theyre not essential, but theyre there none the less, and one of them has come out, dangling loosely around the wire.. not exactly beautiful =/

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4,318 of 5,248
Agree with both guys. For $250ish they are a steal. I think they are still worth $300 and are so easy to mod with pads, Lawton damping and even custom wood cups, they will stand the test of time.

I agree, I've owned two Lawton Modded Dxxx headphones, and I really love my D5k for gaming as well, the extra bass gives everything a touch more body plus I get a little more isolation over my HE 4, and sonically the sound is still very pleasing and revealing 

Sadly for my music listening it's mostly on the go these days 

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4,319 of 5,248
How much noise do these leak though? Will use them for home use but bit worried since I will at times listen to music at night when I do not want to disturb others around the house. 

If its significant I'm considering just getting the X2 instead since its pretty much at the same price but with arguably better sound. 

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4,320 of 5,248
I put the D7000s up on ebay and someone bought them.  I am a bit sad, but I never use over the ear headphones much at home, sadly.  I've probably made a mistake..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back