Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Sep 3, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #4,037 of 5,248
No bite at work yet. I've put them up on a Swedish techgeek site for sale, for about $275. I'll give it a week, and if no one buys there, I'll let them go for the same price at head-fi (275) and you pay postage. I will send them anywhere, in any kind of protective packaging, tracking and whatnot, but you will have to pay for it.

Sounds like a fair deal?

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #4,039 of 5,248
I'd like to point to the relevant discussion that is going on in the Fostex TH-900 thread, about activated carbon and other modding materials: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/7815#post_10851249

Personally, changing the original foam in the Denon earpads for activated carbon might have been the final mod to my D2000!

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4,040 of 5,248
  @ Coq de combat: Any idea what the shipping w/ tracking would be from Sweden (it's where you are, right?) to Montreal, Canada, H2X 3J7? Do you have a link to this ad you placed for-sale ? Thanks.

It seems to be somewhere around $50 (+ extra for additional stuff like insurance, tracking, etc.) for shipping, with little to no options to choose. This does leave some haggle room for you IMO.

I have to say though, one guy at my workplace approached me yesterday that he started feeling a bit more warm to the idea of buying them so I'll give him 'til next friday or so. Also, I will formulate a little more detailed ad over here at head-fi as well. All in all, I wouldn't want you to pay more than $300, shipping included and so on and so forth. There's still time for haggling and dealing with that later on though.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #4,041 of 5,248
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of D5000s recently. They're fine otherwise but unfortunately the left cup does not swivel like the right one because of some bootleg fix. It's no big deal since it does not affect the sound quality in any way whatsoever. However I'd like to have these in the best condition as possible because I absolutely love them and will have them for a long time.
Does anyone here have any ideas where I could get it fixed? What sort of shops deal with stuff like this? I read that the mechanism behind these swivels is a complex one and difficult to get at so I'd rather not try fixing it myself especially when I have the money to spare to get it fixed by more competent people.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4,042 of 5,248
  I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of D5000s recently. They're fine otherwise but unfortunately the left cup does not swivel like the right one because of some bootleg fix. It's no big deal since it does not affect the sound quality in any way whatsoever. However I'd like to have these in the best condition as possible because I absolutely love them and will have them for a long time.
Does anyone here have any ideas where I could get it fixed? What sort of shops deal with stuff like this? I read that the mechanism behind these swivels is a complex one and difficult to get at so I'd rather not try fixing it myself especially when I have the money to spare to get it fixed by more competent people.

I would check out the Lawton Audio website 

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #4,043 of 5,248
Heads up guys - Martin from Martin Custom Audio is moving into a new house and says he is way behind on emails so if you have designs on getting work done by him............be patient. 

The man is an artist but this is a hobby business to him and he recently had a child (well, his wife did) so nothing happens fast with his work.  It is worth the wait tho.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #4,044 of 5,248
Martin does amazing work, he's a true artist.  His prices are also fairly reasonable.  He's gonna have to setup the shop again at the new place...

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #4,045 of 5,248
  Heads up guys - Martin from Martin Custom Audio is moving into a new house and says he is way behind on emails so if you have designs on getting work done by him............be patient. 

The man is an artist but this is a hobby business to him and he recently had a child (well, his wife did) so nothing happens fast with his work.  It is worth the wait tho.

Martin does amazing work, he's a true artist.  His prices are also fairly reasonable.  He's gonna have to setup the shop again at the new place...

+2 a tru artist, but yea there's some time involved. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #4,047 of 5,248
Nice sewing skills, that looks comfortable.  

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4,049 of 5,248
My blacked out D2000 is up for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. I'm not trying to spam, I'm just posting this here in case someone really liked them blacked out and might not want to miss the sale.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #4,050 of 5,248
Has anyone using the 2000s noticed any sort of issue with a metallic sound in the cups?

I've had a pair AH-D2000s for a while now, and really not ever used them much as something has always bothered me with them. When hitting certain notes or just in general, I can hear a tinny sort of reverb or echo from each cup.

In this song for instance, listen to the first 5 seconds. On every low thump I get a quick sort of "tink" sound, sort of like if you have the cans on and lightly tap a pen on the outside of the cups.

http://youtu.be/mJ5yVJi8Crk

I've noticed that if I press the cups against my ears, this sound goes away. Also found that removing the ear pads eliminates the metallic sound when the headphones are actually on my head. However, If I slightly pull one or both cups away from my ears, the noise returns.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back