Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #4,022 of 5,248
Basshead club worthy?

100%.  It won't flutter paper like is being done on another thread but it is the most visceral powerful bass I've heard.   And that is saying something coming from a person who is a Denon fan and owned a TH900. 

It's truly an incredible top level headphone when fed right.  Speaker taps with plenty of power (in my case a 310wpc Pioneer Spec power amp). 

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #4,023 of 5,248
OTOH, pushing papers like that doesn't mean a whole lot more than your headphone being good at pushing papers.

If you really want to make it more "real", as in "quasi scientific", try giving the paper the same seal you get with skin (any and all gaps will kill any and all reliability of paper tests), make the pads slightly pressed in because your head does it and it effects the air pressure, and go out of your way to find a standard set of paper to use on all your tests -- it doesn't have to be skin like; replicability is more important here in order to claim something and using the same exact paper is a step in the right direction.

What I'm saying is that fluttering paper is all fun and games, but do not take anything from it. It's not a serious test.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #4,024 of 5,248

100%.  It won't flutter paper like is being done on another thread but it is the most visceral powerful bass I've heard.   And that is saying something coming from a person who is a Denon fan and owned a TH900. 

It's truly an incredible top level headphone when fed right.  Speaker taps with plenty of power (in my case a 310wpc Pioneer Spec power amp). 

I mean, what does that power translate down to for both ears in watts at visceral bass kicking levels ?
Edit : 5 watts per ear of overhead with resistors or something like that ?

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #4,025 of 5,248
I mean, what does that power translate down to for both ears in watts at visceral bass kicking levels ?
Edit : 5 watts per ear of overhead with resistors or something like that ?

I'm going straight out of the speaker connections directly into the headphones. No resistors in the path. I tried the HE-6 out of the headphone out and through the HiFiMan speaker tap box (which has resistors) and it required a lot of power pumped into it to get to listening levels. With the speaker connection method my volume control is only a bit higher cranked than when listening to my D7000. Used to be if I wanted to switch from my HE-6 to the D7000 I had to turn the volume way down just to volume match.

To answer your question, I don't know how much is being pumped into them but I wouldn't go back to using the HFM box again. The sound is so much better and cleaner with that bass.

Coq- I agree with you - the paper test has no value in my world as well.

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4,026 of 5,248
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #4,027 of 5,248
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #4,028 of 5,248
I'm on an iPad and the flash doesn't work so I can't tell what this thing is or what it does.

Could you explain it to us please?

This is the description for the device:

HD800 hi-end headphone APPJ hi-end Headphone Device Black
Black color

Free shipping to Worldwide 

Descriptions:
This matching is widely used, can be used in 6F3 EL84 6V6 6P3 EL34 KT66 KT88 2A3 300B or the equivalent power of the single ended, combined into a headphone amplifier, strong drive ability good special effects, can drive HD800 and other high-end headphones.

Technical Specifications:
Input: 4.0mm Banana Jacks
Output:High;in;low-impedanceheadphones,3.5mmand6.35mmstereo headphones,support:8ohms-600ohms all headsets
Processing power of8W +8 W
Support: 6F3 EL84 6V6 6P3 EL34 KT66 KT88 2A3 300BGewith the same power single-ended tube amp

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #4,030 of 5,248
I'm on an iPad and the flash doesn't work so I can't tell what this thing is or what it does.

Could you explain it to us please?

Sure.

It has three levels of resistance, it is made for the Miniwatt tube amp(originally why I purchased) to run headphones out, but I hated that noisy mess and now I tap my vintage receivers with it.

Three levels out, one is almost a straight out, the middle one is great for <100 ohm cans (HD650, HD800, etc.) the 3.5 out does well with headphones lower impedance  headphones (D7K, W1000x etc.)

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #4,031 of 5,248
I'm thinking of selling my D2000's (non modded, fair amount of wear and tear, no audible amount of wear and tear on the drivers though). I'll ask a few friends over at work at first, but seeing as they probably don't know a whole lot about headphones and their worth, they will want to get a friend price.

What should be my lower limit before I turn to head-fi to sell them, you think? I prefer trying to give my friends some awesome headphones and audio experience, however, I'm not willing to give them away for free either.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #4,033 of 5,248
Thanks, yeah, I'll limit my price somewhere there. 
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #4,034 of 5,248
Sure.

It has three levels of resistance, it is made for the Miniwatt tube amp(originally why I purchased) to run headphones out, but I hated that noisy mess and now I tap my vintage receivers with it.

Three levels out, one is almost a straight out, the middle one is great for <100 ohm cans (HD650, HD800, etc.) the 3.5 out does well with headphones lower impedance  headphones (D7K, W1000x etc.)

Thanks bud. Interesting.

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #4,035 of 5,248
Would it not be better to just get balanced cables with an appropriate matched resistor on the taps....separate '-ve' connectors = no supposed crosstalk vs this SE to taps box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back