Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 14, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #3,992 of 5,248
Oops sorry from Martin Custom audio

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,993 of 5,248
Same here for the same deep coco cups. Martins pricing is fair and the workmanship is amazing.

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3,994 of 5,248
Mine were from Martin as well. Great pricing and beautiful work.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #3,995 of 5,248
  Was just checking out new Lawton Audio web site especially his wood cups for Denons and Fostex HP very nice wood essences he's using but the prices  from $479.00 to $679.00 for cups and i tought $289.00 i paid a couple years ago was expensive . http://www.lawtonaudio.com/

the new site looks just as disorganized and overwhelming as the old one...

i bought the d2k quite a while back, intending on getting the mod kit from lawton and getting into some fisrt time DIY, however alot of things have changed - mostly for the better, but the bad side is that i am now really poor :p one day though... one day...

ANYWAY, has anyone here fitted a stock d2k with lawton/martin wooden cups - without any damping material? i was thinking maybe id just get wooden cups and tune it later on - any experiences to share?

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3,996 of 5,248

i bought the d2k quite a while back, intending on getting the mod kit from lawton and getting into some fisrt time DIY, however alot of things have changed - mostly for the better, but the bad side is that i am now really poor :p one day though... one day...

ANYWAY, has anyone here fitted a stock d2k with lawton/martin wooden cups - without any damping material? i was thinking maybe id just get wooden cups and tune it later on - any experiences to share?

I just ordered my Lawton cups yesterday, so I can't comment specifically on their cups, but my old D2000s years ago had D7000 wood cups and J$ pads. I would expect them to be similar to Lawton's/Martin's cups. I didn't do the Markl mod, never felt I needed it. 

-The D7000 cups tightened the bass (lessening some of the distortion), widened the soundstage a bit, and removed the resonance/plasticy sound of the stock cups (which made the treble overall sound smoother).
-The J$ pads made the soundstage even wider, and I've heard of similar results with Lawton's angled pads. 

Those two mods (even with no damping) turned my D2000s into a new headphone, and its why I ordered new pads and wood cups within a week of owning my 2nd pair of D2000s. Once you hear it its hard to go back to the stock D2000s. Overall these mods smooth the highs, increase the soundstage, and control the bass while still allowing it to retain its cavernous reach.

Its definitely worth it even without the damping, and moreover, if you decide you want further tightening of the bass, the Markl mod really is not difficult at all to do yourself. Get some fiberloft, dynamat, and paxmate and if you know how to use a screwdriver and pair of scissors you're good to go.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #3,997 of 5,248

I just ordered my Lawton cups yesterday, so I can't comment specifically on their cups, but my old D2000s years ago had D7000 wood cups and J$ pads. I would expect them to be similar to Lawton's/Martin's cups. I didn't do the Markl mod, never felt I needed it. 

-The D7000 cups tightened the bass (lessening some of the distortion), widened the soundstage a bit, and removed the resonance/plasticy sound of the stock cups (which made the treble overall sound smoother).
-The J$ pads made the soundstage even wider, and I've heard of similar results with Lawton's angled pads. 

Those two mods (even with no damping) turned my D2000s into a new headphone, and its why I ordered new pads and wood cups within a week of owning my 2nd pair of D2000s. Once you hear it its hard to go back to the stock D2000s. Overall these mods smooth the highs, increase the soundstage, and control the bass while still allowing it to retain its cavernous reach.

Its definitely worth it even without the damping, and moreover, if you decide you want further tightening of the bass, the Markl mod really is not difficult at all to do yourself. Get some fiberloft, dynamat, and paxmate and if you know how to use a screwdriver and pair of scissors you're good to go.

cheers - ive been thinking of doing this for a while... maybe during the weekend ill summon up the decisiveness

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,998 of 5,248

When I first had Martin fit the coco cups on my D2000 it had no damping in the cup. Driver had the Lawton damping tho at that point. The extra deep cups with no Dynamat or Hollofill was a bit boomy after a while listening to it, so I got the Dynamat and a bit of Hollofill and started the process. The cups were done a la Lawton but I played with the amount of Hollofill and ended up very happy with the final results. To the point that the bass on the D2000 is very much in the league of my D7000 which has full Lawton mods.

**I'm a bit perplexed and maybe some of you can comment. Assuming the different "Tonewoods" are intended to be good for audio responsiveness and they say the different woods in fact give a slightly different sound, when we put the Dynamat in the cups in reality aren't we defeating the purpose of using wood at all? Aside from the external beauty of course.

That said, I experienced my D7000 from bone stock to post-Lawton mods and I'm a 100% converted disciple of his work. Huge change and worth it to me. Had him work his magic on my TH900 as well.

Interested in your input, folks.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,999 of 5,248
When I first had Martin fit the coco cups on my D2000 it had no damping in the cup. Driver had the Lawton damping tho at that point. The extra deep cups with no Dynamat or Hollofill was a bit boomy after a while listening to it, so I got the Dynamat and a bit of Hollofill and started the process. The cups were done a la Lawton but I played with the amount of Hollofill and ended up very happy with the final results. To the point that the bass on the D2000 is very much in the league of my D7000 which has full Lawton mods.

**I'm a bit perplexed and maybe some of you can comment. Assuming the different "Tonewoods" are intended to be good for audio responsiveness and they say the different woods in fact give a slightly different sound, when we put the Dynamat in the cups in reality aren't we defeating the purpose of using wood at all? Aside from the external beauty of course.

That said, I experienced my D7000 from bone stock to post-Lawton mods and I'm a 100% converted disciple of his work. Huge change and worth it to me. Had him work his magic on my TH900 as well.

Interested in your input, folks.

yea come to think about it, the stock d5k come with wooden cups and no damping, seeing as they have the same driver, i imagine i should be alright, thanks

and yea, i do believe theres some marketing nonsense behind all that tonewood stuff but hey - gotta make a living i guess. nothing wrong with some marketing, especially if your product is actually popular (atleast in some circles).

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4,000 of 5,248
so i contacted lawton and discovered that they no longer handle d2ks - at all. theyll tune them if you like, but they dont install or create wooden cups anymore. d5/7k and fostex cans only. thought id share... dont suppose anyone has any wooden cups that fit the d2k lying around for sale? (yes, check the classifieds, i know...)

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #4,001 of 5,248
  so i contacted lawton and discovered that they no longer handle d2ks - at all. theyll tune them if you like, but they dont install or create wooden cups anymore. d5/7k and fostex cans only. thought id share... dont suppose anyone has any wooden cups that fit the d2k lying around for sale? (yes, check the classifieds, i know...)

What I thought after lookin' on the site. That's too bad! The D2ks are the one's that need the wood the most!

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #4,002 of 5,248

Martin Custom does them and has better pricing than Lawton.  About $250 for a nice extra deep set of Cocobolo.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #4,003 of 5,248
I was wondering the same thing to be honest Oregonian which was why I was hesitant to damp my extra deep cocobolos.

I've got the Lawton mods done to just the driver side and it tightens everything up very nicely. I was worried about doing the other side bc I thought it might tame the bass too much. I'm very happy with the result, and it's pretty close to the d7000 IMHO, even tho d7000 is better overall.

Martins made me a few things and his prices and craftsmanship are top notch.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #4,004 of 5,248
Well there are two ways to fit D5K/D7K cups onto the D2000s. Mod the wood cups (drill new holes) or mod the driver (cut off the screw posts).  I'm too impatient to wait for Martin to get back so I went with Lawton. Ill be permanently modding my D2Ks just like I did with my last pair. No one in their right mind would go back to the plastic cups anyway (imo).

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #4,005 of 5,248
I was wondering the same thing to be honest Oregonian which was why I was hesitant to damp my extra deep cocobolos.

I've got the Lawton mods done to just the driver side and it tightens everything up very nicely. I was worried about doing the other side bc I thought it might tame the bass too much. I'm very happy with the result, and it's pretty close to the d7000 IMHO, even tho d7000 is better overall.

Martins made me a few things and his prices and craftsmanship are top notch.

I really tried to love the deep bass without the Dynamat but to my preferences the boominess was just not tight enough. Nice to have the options we have.........first world problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back