Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Jan 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,226 of 5,248
Oh that's weird. The rods come off completely, the screws holding mine in were EXTREMELY tight. I didn't want to keep trying to loosen them and end up stripping the screws. Just sand them down really well, and I wouldn't put many coats of paint on them.Also, allow plenty of time for the paint to harden, there are little ball mechanisms inside the headband that press against the rods and would probably scratch the paint straight off if it isn't hardened.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,227 of 5,248
  Oh that's weird. The rods come off completely, the screws holding mine in were EXTREMELY tight. I didn't want to keep trying to loosen them and end up stripping the screws. Just sand them down really well, and I wouldn't put many coats of paint on them.Also, allow plenty of time for the paint to harden, there are little ball mechanisms inside the headband that press against the rods and would probably scratch the paint straight off if it isn't hardened.

I'll try my best. How many coats of paint for the cups and frame? 

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3,229 of 5,248
Oh I forget to put the pics of my D2k up... it looks GOOD :D

but I had some issues with the reCable so It's being repaired atm. but they look NICE with my W1000x <3 

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,230 of 5,248
Scored a set of d2ks with d7k cups, J$ pads (stock pads pictured below), beyer headwrap (not shown) and possibly d5k cable.  I say possibly because it looks different than the cable that was on my stock (I think) d2ks.  
From the picture, can you guys tell me if they are d5k cables?  I have some theory the cables are different because of the knob where the cable splits in two is different. Any help is appreciated.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #3,232 of 5,248
  Scored a set of d2ks with d7k cups, J$ pads (stock pads pictured below), beyer headwrap (not shown) and possibly d5k cable.  I say possibly because it looks different than the cable that was on my stock (I think) d2ks.  
From the picture, can you guys tell me if they are d5k cables?  I have some theory the cables are different because of the knob where the cable splits in two is different. Any help is appreciated.

Maybe... maybe not: http://www.head-fi.org/t/479639/d2000-now-same-cable-as-d5000-7000 the only way to to be sure is by cutting the cable 

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #3,233 of 5,248

First, congrats on getting a great headphone. The cables on my D7000 are definitely different than my D2000's.

Does the phone have Lawton mods?

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,234 of 5,248
I am not sure if it was Lawton modded.  Previous owner could never answer that question for me.  However, the cups are in almost pristine condition and it was what I wanted my stock d2000 to be, but already completed, so I had to take a stab at it.  I haven't got around to opening them up just yet, I just received them this morning.

As far as the cable goes, the previous d2000s I had definately had a different cable.  It was much more prone to tangles, it was stiffer and it had a different knob (? - rubber grommet where the cable split).

Can anyone post up pictures of their d2000/d5000 cables, specifically focusing on the plastic knob where the cable splits?

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,235 of 5,248
  I am not sure if it was Lawton modded.  Previous owner could never answer that question for me.  However, the cups are in almost pristine condition and it was what I wanted my stock d2000 to be, but already completed, so I had to take a stab at it.  I haven't got around to opening them up just yet, I just received them this morning.

As far as the cable goes, the previous d2000s I had definately had a different cable.  It was much more prone to tangles, it was stiffer and it had a different knob (? - rubber grommet where the cable split).

Can anyone post up pictures of their d2000/d5000 cables, specifically focusing on the plastic knob where the cable splits?

From d-5000                                                                                                                                                        

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #3,236 of 5,248
Looks the same as the one on my D2000, but perhaps the cables after the plastic knob on mine are a bit thinner. Or maybe not because it really looks to be the same.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgt6e05s6icxrja/P7040032.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hzqmn43bhhkoyl/P7040033.JPG

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #3,237 of 5,248

Grats, and me jelly q.q

I still need to buy and Mod my D2k... I'm half tempted to get Mark L to do it out of sheer Laziness :/ not sure if he would do a DRIVER ONLY MOD [I'd have no way of checking him] still *sigh* I'm sure one day I'll take mine apart and mod the darn thing my self :/

for those who don't know... this is week 12... and I've still yet to hear my D2k <.< 

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #3,238 of 5,248
I just received my Denon D5000 (first time Denon owner) and I must say they are pretty amazing. I prefer open cans but I needed closed cans so I don't annoy people with my great taste in music. These sound really open and overall just great. They do leak however. Would the J$ (money) pads make a difference in isolation and SQ?

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,239 of 5,248
  I just received my Denon D5000 (first time Denon owner) and I must say they are pretty amazing. I prefer open cans but I needed closed cans so I don't annoy people with my great taste in music. These sound really open and overall just great. They do leak however. Would the J$ (money) pads make a difference in isolation and SQ?

Not likely.  I've tried both J$ pads and Alpha pads and ended up with Alpha's on one headphone and Lawton angles on my D7000.  They leak at an area they call (and I'm winging it here) the sound optimization chamber (basically an opening along the cup line leading up to the pads).  Some have taped or siliconed this off but it hurts the sound quality. 

Regarding sound quality - I like both the Alpha's and Lawton angles over stock for SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back