Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Aug 28, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #61 of 5,248
Heh, yeah same here, can't wait for the 400+ hours on them, 150 hrs of burn-in will be done tonight, so I'll get to review my D2000's sound again, I'm doing a burn-in diary ^^

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #62 of 5,248
Given all the over-excitement that's happening in the DX1000 thread atm, I thought I'd post here and mention how I preferred the MD2000 to the JVCs. Okay, so it's not as lush, but the sound is much more balanced throughout the whole range and the bass reaches just a little further. They also look less silly on your head, the JVCs are huge
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #63 of 5,248
I agree with onocentaur specially with Pop/Rock music. IMO The D5000/D2000 moded are a lot more balance than the DX1000. The bass in the DX1000 is overpowering the rest of the sound somewhat and the highs are nice and there but a little bit recessed.
If you focus on soundstage and midrange the DX1000 excels over the Denons.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 21, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #65 of 5,248
I was lucky to be able to try a pair of D5000's in a shop - at the time I had ALO K701's and wasn't satisfied. I was quite impressed to hear the detail I wanted with the bass I felt was lacking in the 701's. When I saw the Markl mod I just had to get a pair and sold my 701's.

Though the mids are somewhat recessed, possibly giving a slightly false sense of roominess in the sound, I think they are fantastic. They allow the bass to give the music enough depth to make it enjoyable for me. I've got the original modded version with the fibreloft in the cups, which holds the bass in check more, bringing out the mids and treble more. I'd love a set of deep-cup woodies for them to see what it does to the sound though.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #70 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the bass of the D2000 is amazing, well defined, but a bit too much sometimes for my taste. Im gonna get a pair of AKG701 which seem more suitable to my ears. sold the D2000 today on ebay

My experience with the D2000 was that their bass presentation was source/recording-specific. On some cuts the bass came across as excessive and ill-defined; on other tracks the bass sounded wonderfully balanced, tight and articulate. My conclusion was that the D2000 were simply conveying the bass information resident in the recording, and this taught me to better appreciate well-recorded bass tracks.

In my albeit brief comparison of the stock D2000 and stock D5000, using the Darkvoice 337, which, admittedly, is not an adequate match for either of the Denon, I found the D5000 more "easy" and laid back in their presentation, with better bass definition--and possibly deeper extension, more full/rounded in the midrange and tonally/timbrally more developed and accurate. In general, I found the D5000 the more smooth, detailed and "musical" of the two.

I attribute the advantage in conveying detail to the D5000's superior cable; the tonal/timbral advantage to the D5000's ebony ear cup housing.

My only complaint with the D2000 or D5000 is their curtailing/premature dampening of transient information, e.g. crash cymbals don't have carry and finish. But that is more a function of their closed design, I think. For closed cans, the Denon are among the finest I've tried; but for critical listening, I tend to prefer an open or semi-open design, like the K501 or DT880/2003.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #71 of 5,248
I've found my new amp has gotten a good hold of my MD5000s, from the top to the very bowels of the bass.

Pataburd: My current set-up renders cymbols very nicely, so it could be a synergy thing. Markl reckoned they go best with solid state amps.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #73 of 5,248
Ok, I'll chime in now.

I've had my D2000s for about 6 months now, I guess, and as much as I loved my HD600s, I do not miss them in the least.

I was fortunate to be able to pick up an APS V2 recabled pair, which exhibit none of the recessed mids that some people speak about.

Right now, my D2000s are out of commission, as I await my wood turning friend to complete my custom cocobolo wood cups (he's got the plastic cups for reference).

Should get my new wood cups back in the next day or so, and I'm really excited to listen to them again. Keep an eye out for my thread with pics of my "new" cans.

So far, I've only done the markl pad mods, as I listen at relatively low volume and think the overall sound sig is fantastic for my style of listening.

Rob

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #74 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found my new amp has gotten a good hold of my MD5000s, from the top to the very bowels of the bass.

Pataburd: My current set-up renders cymbols very nicely, so it could be a synergy thing. Markl reckoned they go best with solid state amps.

Currawong,
Compared to the open presentation of the K501, for example, the closed presentation of cymbals from the D5000 lacks finish, not detail per se. The D5000 do not have the absolute levels of high frequency extension as the DT880/2003, either. But again, I attribute that to closed vs. open design rather than to inherent shortcomings in the Denons themselves.

The Bada drives the D5000 very well, especially given the (hybrid) Bada's solid state (MOSFET) outputs. The tube stage(s) impart a liquidity, smoothness and musicality that are quite special to this amp.
PAB

EDIT: per say--ha!--should be per se. : )

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #75 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currawong,
Compared to the open presentation of the K501, for example, the closed presentation of cymbals from the D5000 lacks finish, not detail per say. The D5000 do not have the absolute levels of high frequency extension as the DT880/2003, either. But again, I attribute that to closed vs. open design rather than to inherent shortcomings in the Denons themselves.

This is interesting, as I've been contemplating some AKGs again, either K501s or K601s, since my set-up has improved appreciably since I owned 701s.

There's a local shop here with the new Luxman P200 head amp, so I've been thinking of taking my D5000s and HD650s in there for a listen. They have a set of demo K701s, so I'll keep your comments in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back