Denon D2000/D5000, MD2000/MD5000 Thread!
Apr 23, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #76 of 5,248
My D2000's are on the way from Headroom.... Looking forward to first listen.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #79 of 5,248
I'm a big fan of Denon.

The 2000's are fantastic, the 7000's are a dream come true.

I feel as though I should get the 5000's, just so I can have the whole family. lol

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #80 of 5,248
Thinking about picking up one of the D2000 or D5000...I was wondering which one is better? Stock D5000 vs APS v3 recabled D2000?

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #81 of 5,248
I bought some D2000's from the For Sale forum here and got them yesterday.
Must say.... they blow everything I've listened to out of the water!
To be fair, beyond Grados and Senn HD600, I've not had a whole lot of experience with full sized cans but wow! I loved Grado because.... well I'm sure you know because it's the same reason everyone loves Grado... but I was amazed at the soundstage and accuracy of the CLOSED Denon. Absolutely lovely!

I'm an ADD, college kid so music while studying is a must but most other people look at me when they can hear through my various Grados or HD600 so being able to have a closed headphone with the sound signature so close to what I already loved.... it was perfect! Hopefully a full review coming soon

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #82 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about picking up one of the D2000 or D5000...I was wondering which one is better? Stock D5000 vs APS v3 recabled D2000?

I've read that the re-cabled D2000 might get you 90-95% of the way toward the stock D5000, but don't know from firsthand experience. I've owned both the D2000 and the D5000, stock, and have noted that the D5000, while not as pleasantly forward as the D2000, have better bass definition and instrumental timbres (IMHO). Just how much the re-cable can close the timbral gap between the two headphones is of more concern to me, I guess. Always wanted to hear the D2000 re-cabled; they're definitely the more exciting listen of the two.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #83 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugrhigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an ADD, college kid so music while studying is a must but most other people look at me when they can hear through my various Grados or HD600 so being able to have a closed headphone with the sound signature so close to what I already loved.... it was perfect! Hopefully a full review coming soon

looking forward to your review..i am especially interested in the performance of the D2000 + Nuforce Icon Mobile (was told that they have good synergy)

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #84 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that the re-cabled D2000 might get you 90-95% of the way toward the stock D5000, but don't know from firsthand experience. I've owned both the D2000 and the D5000, stock, and have noted that the D5000, while not as pleasantly forward as the D2000, have better bass definition and instrumental timbres (IMHO). Just how much the re-cable can close the timbral gap between the two headphones is of more concern to me, I guess. Always wanted to hear the D2000 re-cabled; they're definitely the more exciting listen of the two.

why u think the recabled D2000 would be more exciting? just curious
regular_smile .gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #86 of 5,248
denon d2000's r on sale on amazon for $212, new. should i go for it ?. i've heard good things about them. bass monsters. but will i lose the clarity and detail of the grado's. also seeing that one is open and the other closed.
i love bass and as-u-know, grado is bass nuetral. but i'm starting to love the clarity, seperation of instruments and musicality of the grado's.
my source will always be ipod and laptop and i guess some high end stuff needs a good amp. thnks

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #87 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frylock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
denon d2000's r on sale on amazon for $212, new. should i go for it ?. i've heard good things about them. bass monsters. but will i lose the clarity and detail of the grado's. also seeing that one is open and the other closed.
i love bass and as-u-know, grado is bass nuetral. but i'm starting to love the clarity, seperation of instruments and musicality of the grado's.
my source will always be ipod and laptop and i guess some high end stuff needs a good amp. thnks

The D2000 need to be amped correctly, but that doesn't mean you need to shell out money for an expensive amp. I tried them on my macbook and iphone and the bass was missing (surprisingly it sounded slightly better from my iphone vs my macbook), but they sound great and bassy from my Little Dot I+ hybrid amp ($150). People claim great synergistic results by pairing them with the NuForce Icon Mobile ($99) and I'm going to test it when I get chance. Other portable amps should be fine and some people claim it sounds great from a nice stereo receiver.

I just know from personal experience that you'll be cheating yourself if you don't give it some decent power.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #88 of 5,248
thnks. any other opinions. need to push the button fast. i got mixed signals last time i researched them here. some people say they sound great un-amped also. but amping does help although not as amp dependent as say , senn 650.
i got an onkyo amp + infinity speakers. but i honestly dont listen to headphones on them. in fact, my grado's sounded even more shrill on the amp.
another thing i need to ask. some googling has pointed to even lower prices, but the merchants dont seem too well known and people who ordered from amazon reported getting a newer upgraded cable. does that still hold true ?

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #89 of 5,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frylock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some people say they sound great un-amped also. but amping does help although not as amp dependent as say , senn 650.

They need a good amp. Trust me. I've tried listening to them unamped and they'll give you volume, but you'll be missing some detail and more importantly, bass. Saying they're not amp dependent is a bit misleading being that people purchasing these expect nice bass. I bet that onkyo amp will do them better than your computer. I think you should buy a decent sub-$100 amp (Little Dot I+!) and you'll be happy.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #90 of 5,248
The D5000 is currently $407 w/free shipping sold directly from Amazon...wonder if it'll go lower than $400 during the holiday shopping season.

Anyway, great price if you're thinking of getting it - from an authorized seller no less!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back