Denon AH-D9200 - 2018 Flagship - Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #197 of 4,391
I would make a second opinion on some of the statements in the review.
Yes agreed that review is obviously skewed.

> The AH-D9200 are not yet hammering into the ultra hi-end level. They do not have such uncompromising resolution and dynamics as Focal Utopia. They do not sound as juicy and smooth as the Final Audio Design D8000. They are not as neutral and transparent as Sennheiser HD 820.
This quote you mention from the review, is an utter LIE...

The 9200 are actually a masterful stroke at having a Frequency Response tailored for the sonic impression.
Having treble while not being fatiguing, is usually difficult when producing a "first row" , "live feel" type of sonic impression.

This headphone signature takes on an "involving" approach, not a grand,distant approach of an HD800.
Your basically in the "first row" experiencing the event, as opposed to being in middle or rear of the venue (HD800 & Susvara types)

Resolution & dynamics I would go out on a limb to say these Denons are the most resolving closed cans, and a cleaner compliment to an HD820.

They don't have to sound "juicy". That would be artificial.
This can is highly resolving.
Of particular note is the timbre.
They have a most realistic timbre, of an organic nature.
Probably the choice of wood cup helped here alot.
They "dialed it in" compared to the other woods and even the older design woods (there's so many more with fostex too)
The organic nature Im talking that is traditionally what older Denons & Fostex can show in their exaggerated bass.

I would be cautious saying the D9200 is less dynamic than the Utopia, I'd say there is not that much difference, but for music playback I clearly prefer the D9200 over the Utopia and also over the Final D8000. This is probably a personal preference, but wanted to say it to balance the review
The review is a farce.
Your impressions are 100% valid and more on point.
The Denon is easily more dynamic.
Although it does not show up much in measurements, the headphones are noticably louder than the 7200.
Its is even easier to drive(!) than the 7200. The sensitivity is noticable.

As for Utopia, it stays at a high level of transparency, but does not climb.
The Denon climbs with stronger gear to the point that you will choose it over the Utopia with better gear.
This happened with my own moded 7200 against Utopia at a meet, but the 9200 has more clarity in the mid-range over my own 7200, so it definitely reaches Utopia level.

I agree with most of your comments too. I still have the Utopia. Try and try though I may, through different sources, I still can't hear it resolving more than the D9200 by any distinct margin. I loved the HD820, but also agree the honkiness is a flaw.
Everything you said is on point and correct.
It on par with Utopia & clearer than 820.
The Frequency Response of the Denon I measured is like a work of art, because it has beautifully uniform low end extension and good bass level, while also having an elevated treble for air, but with a slight narrow dip in the sibilance region.

Seems a shame there are next to no reviews nor much talk about these anywhere... I’m curious why...
Most likely because of the slow & limited availability of them in the USA.
Yet I also wouldn't doubt that since the Denon are a huge threat to all cans over $1.6k, thats another possible reason.

Treble is on the brink of being too much for me, but it's less peaky than the TH900 for instance
There is a slight dip in the sibilance range but that area varies with the users inner and outer ear differences.

as a whole, the stock D9200 is currently the best closed headphone in the market and not by a small margin.
Agreed, the D9200 is definitely the best closed headphone as of Feb 2019.
There is no other closed headphone in sight.
A quote from that later review you posted:
Quote:
"Let's say the main thing: the differences between the D7200 and D9200 are significant."
They just cant commit to acknowledge the D9200 is great.

IMHO the reason the D9200 didn't catch hype is the price point.
That is the trend to get rediculously high in price these days..
I spent around $2k on Ultrasone ED5, and way more for abyss Diana, HEKV2, etc.
For a closed headphone to finally reach end-game level of transparency & clarity, it certainly is a better bargan than the others..
The only issue is the sonic presentation is closer than open cans (front row).

IMHO the D9200 quality (cables, connectors, wood etc) is (nearly) the same as the D7200 and definitely not at the Fostex TH900 level
The TH900 attraction is only visual, with those super polished cups.
It doesn't use better quality wire internally, and uses an old tech driver inside.
So while it is very refined looking on outside, it is lowly on inside.

The Denon choice of having the "natural look" of wood cup with little finish, and more shallow reduce weight also looks very quality.

I also have the fostex purpleheart, which has a similar glossy finish like the TH900, and yes its beautiful & glossy, but thats where it ends. Think fingerprint city.
I would choose Denon cup any day, but a slightly larger cup would have also been nice.
The current size looks very portable.

It also has much less treble than the TH-600 - generally D9200 is just very neutral/flat and smoother sounding by comparison
I agree, when I had the th600, that was a treble nightmare, but less so than the TH900.

Soundstage/imaging: The HD800 is the clear winner here.
That's basically perspective and choice of design.
Denon seem to embrace the "first row" perspective, which is very lively, engaging, and immersive on this headphone. It has a very satisfying natural timbre, which I was worried about considering they changed the driver material.
I would compliment the D9200 with an open can for larger soundstage.

Anyways, they obviously weren't going for immense soundstage.
The Fostex and Sony cans do attempt to provide large soundstage.
With the Denon taking the lead now, it makes me wonder if Fostex will ever come out with a new headphone.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #199 of 4,391
While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, Ithink part of the problem is often reviewers assume a headphone (or really, any product) needs to have some sort of fancy new technology or breakthrough. The D9200 simply achieve their sound through impeccable tuning and refinement.

so so true, especially when it comes to TOTL and high-end stuff, it's insane amounts of marketing (new tech breakthroughs, content, white papers, etc.). I used to work in the cycling/bicycle industry....so much marketing spent on wind tunnel, white papers, carbon fiber spec, etc. since consumers who buy TOTL/high-end stuff eat that type of content up.

btw, so it seems the headband itself is unchanged on the 9200 to previous models, what was the issue with the headband in the first place?

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #200 of 4,391
btw, so it seems the headband itself is unchanged on the 9200 to previous models, what was the issue with the headband in the first place?

It's a little hard, with not a ton of padding (although it looks nice enough), so it can form a hotspot for some people. Especially since the contact area isn't that big to begin with since the headband doesn't conform to the curve of the top of the head so much. I found it bothersome at first but it's broken in just enough so I no longer find it to be a nuisance.

Feb 7, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #201 of 4,391

It's a little hard, with not a ton of padding (although it looks nice enough), so it can form a hotspot for some people. Especially since the contact area isn't that big to begin with since the headband doesn't conform to the curve of the top of the head so much. I found it bothersome at first but it's broken in just enough so I no longer find it to be a nuisance.
Agreed.
Although the 7200 pad exterior felt initially softer, it also "compresses in" the center easier.
The 9200 different, thicker or stiffer leather, although looks identical, does not "sink in" as easy, so I do feel it is a "slight" improvement, and so it will depend on user.

On another note, remember to be careful with "unauthorized" dealers, as Denon will practically abandon you unless you have proper warranty from authorized dealers.

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #202 of 4,391
Anyone seen the 9200 somewhere online or in store in Canada?
I used to have the 7200 then sold them in anticipation of picking up the 9200 but I can't seem to source them locally. What sort of prices are people getting these for and from where?

Cheers,

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #203 of 4,391
Anyone seen the 9200 somewhere online or in store in Canada?
I used to have the 7200 then sold them in anticipation of picking up the 9200 but I can't seem to source them locally. What sort of prices are people getting these for and from where?

Cheers,
Seen them at every Audio shop in Hong Kong.

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #205 of 4,391
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #206 of 4,391
Screen-5106956.jpg

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #208 of 4,391
You have seen them but have you heard them yet and would you buy them?
Good question. I can and will. I have seven TH900s so Im on no hurry, but I will A/B them.

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #209 of 4,391
Good question. I can and will. I have seven TH900s so Im on no hurry, but I will A/B them.

Only Seven! :darthsmile:

Man, I thought that I was becoming a bit of a hoarder when I have kept both the Beyer T70P and T70 (250ohm) versions and have a variation of different pads, only because I could not decide which I prefer! :ksc75smile:

Feb 13, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #210 of 4,391
Only Seven! :darthsmile:

Man, I thought that I was becoming a bit of a hoarder when I have kept both the Beyer T70P and T70 (250ohm) versions and have a variation of different pads, only because I could not decide which I prefer! :ksc75smile:
Yeah, a guilty pleasure. I do have different cables on some and two have 4.4 balance connectors. So not seven perfect clones. I did put the 9200 on my head, its comfy and well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back