$Defunct Thread$
Jun 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Meetite

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a new pair of headphones around $200. I've been researching for a while and have been having trouble deciding with all these different options for great headphones in this price bracket.
I'm hoping to get an open-backed pair of headphones with a warmer sound signature (I know, open-backed and warm don't really go together).

I've mainly been looking at the AKG K7xx, Sennheiser HD 598sr, and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x but suggestions are welcomed (assuming they stay in my price range).

I'm mainly intending on using these for gaming, meaning comfort is very important, though I will also be using them a lot for music (most of my music has a hard beat and brass instruments, so sound reproduction in those areas is really important. "Feel it Still" by 'Portugal. The Man', the instrumental version of "Until Heaven Stops the Rain" by 'Wax Tailor', and "Devotion" by 'Coleman Hell' are perfect examples).

I'd prefer if an amp we're mostly unnecessary, so as long as they don't basically require an amp it's fine (I don't currently have the funds necessary to invest in an amp and/or DAC, though I do plan on investing in one within the next few years).

Input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 12
Look into the DT770, DT880 or DT990. Great soundstage, comfortable if you can stand the clamping, nice bass, and depending on which version, you dont need an amp (though a tube amp would help). Just look for the lower impedance models.

Also worth noting the DT880 and 990 have larger soundstages than the 770 as the 770 is closed, but boasts more bass.

Jun 8, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Look into the DT770, DT880 or DT990. Great soundstage, comfortable if you can stand the clamping, nice bass, and depending on which version, you dont need an amp (though a tube amp would help). Just look for the lower impedance models.

Also worth noting the DT880 and 990 have larger soundstages than the 770 as the 770 is closed, but boasts more bass.
Will do. They look promising so I'll add the DT990/880 to my list of options.

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Sorry if this is a bit soon, but bump ;^)

Oh and actually, as an update. I forgot to mention that a removable cable is pretty important for me (my last pair of headphones died due to a broken cable and the cost in time and money of replacing the cable is more than a new pair of headphones, especially considering I really wanted a new pair anyways).
It's probably okay if the cable is attached if the headphones have a decent included warranty, but removable is preferred.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Update: I'm taking the AKG K7xx off the list as massdrop now longer has them in stock and they won't ship until august, by which point if I didn't buy a pair of headphones until then I could get a better pair with the money I would have saved by then (that and I'm impatient ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I'm also taking the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x off the list as they don't quite have the sound signature I'm looking for and from what I can tell from reviews is that they're kind of a hassle to get on comfortably which I don't want to worry about.

This means it basically comes down to a choice between the Sennheiser HD598sr, the Beyerdynamic DT880 and DT990 (32 ohm versions).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm currently leaning toward the HD598sr as they seem like the safest of my options, on the other hand the DT880 is very appealing as it is semi-open (which for me means wide soundstage and a bit of noise bleed but I won't be irritating others in the household) and is pretty similar to my last pair of headphones.
Either way in having a lot of trouble deciding.

Input from others would be greatly appreciated though.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 12
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO (250 OHM).
No detachable cable, but very solid built. 250 OHM but easy to drive even from a laptop.
Addictive bass and marvelous highs. I own them 3 years, highly recommended.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 12
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO (250 OHM).
No detachable cable, but very solid built. 250 OHM but easy to drive even from a laptop.
Addictive bass and marvelous highs. I own them 3 years, highly recommended.
That's great to know! Do you use them with an amp now? Because if these can run okay without an amp but get serious improvement with one I may get one of these and get an amp sooner

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the 32ohm version of the 990 and I actually like them unamped personally. They sound great from my phone but they tend to sound really bright to me through my LD MK2. Again, this is a personal preference and a different models, but thought Id pass this along

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 12
That's great to know! Do you use them with an amp now? Because if these can run okay without an amp but get serious improvement with one I may get one of these and get an amp sooner
Right now I've been using them without any amp or any special DAC, it's happened that I've been far away from my collection of mid-fy cans and amp/DAC for a month or so.
So straight from the laptop. And I am just shocked how good they sound anyway.
But answering your question Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO (250 OHM) do scale with the amp/DAC, but not dramatically.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Archeer AH07. Cheaper with great bass and decent soundstage. Bluetooth and detachable cord. Sounds fantastic via cable or wireless. Tons of great reviews on headfi.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 12
I've decided to end this thread and start over with a reassessment of my options (im not so sure anymore that i really want an open-ear pair, though they may be nice.) I'm instead starting a new thread that's more general.
Here's the new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back