December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Dec 31, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #843 of 1,331
  I have gone with my other idea and I'm now using the Benchmark as a pre-amp, at least for a couple of days until I box it up and return it.  I already have an RAN for it, and had printed out the shipping label when the Niles switch crapped out on me.  The Benchmark has two analog inputs, which means I can A/B 2 other units at the same time.  I assume that it is treating both exactly the same, and initial tests with the Yulong and DM Source hooked up seem fine.  Just a heads up, so far, through 1.5 songs, I hear more differences by changing the Yulong filters than I do between the Yulong with sharp filtering and the DM Source... but there's still lots of testing to do. 

Happy New Year folks!

Happy New Year, Gary!  Sorry about that switch!  Good switchgear is apparently not cheap...

Gungnir home safe and sound.  Thanks for giving it a go.  Sorry it was temperamental while it was there.  Good to know it competes with other DACs in the category :)

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #844 of 1,331
  I have gone with my other idea and I'm now using the Benchmark as a pre-amp, at least for a couple of days until I box it up and return it.  I already have an RAN for it, and had printed out the shipping label when the Niles switch crapped out on me.  The Benchmark has two analog inputs, which means I can A/B 2 other units at the same time.  I assume that it is treating both exactly the same, and initial tests with the Yulong and DM Source hooked up seem fine.  Just a heads up, so far, through 1.5 songs, I hear more differences by changing the Yulong filters than I do between the Yulong with sharp filtering and the DM Source... but there's still lots of testing to do. 

Happy New Year folks!

Cheers,       Thanks for the courage, effort, and subjective approach.     Happy New Year Gary!

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #845 of 1,331
Happy New Year, Gary!  

I must say, I admire you courage in reporting "indistinguishable" results.  I really respect that. 

With the Chordette joining the indistinguishable, you've saved me a pile of money!

n

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #847 of 1,331
Somehow this does not surprise me. Years ago there were a handful of companies that could produce decent DACs nowadays it's everyone and their grandmother. The features and capabilities of latest chipsets is a boon to the price/performance ratio. Good it means we have everyone coming out with decent Dacs and prices are dropping - bad is that they will sound more and more alike.

It's like restaurants buying intermediate products and slapping it together versus made from a scratch...

Happy 2014 folks

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #850 of 1,331
  I'm about one beer from pulling the trigger on the Emotiva.  Anyone know when the sale ends?

I pulled the trigger after Gary's first testing day post. Seemed like a forgone conclusion. Arrives tomorrow and I can test it against my $150 Topping d20 DAC.  If they sound alike I'm going back to vinyl

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #851 of 1,331
  I pulled the trigger after Gary's first testing day post. Seemed like a forgone conclusion. Arrives tomorrow and I can test it against my $150 Topping d20 DAC.  If they sound alike I'm going back to vinyl

+1 on the vinyl, atleast money spent there brings big improvements.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #852 of 1,331
  +1 on the vinyl, atleast money spent there brings big improvements.

I would make the comment that it's perhaps not so much "improvement" as it is making art.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #854 of 1,331
I am of the opinion that with the physical limitations of the medium, beyond a certain point of technical proficiency it's all just painting with different strokes.

It's 5am. Why haven't I gone to bed yet? Gonna pass out soon.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #855 of 1,331
I am of the opinion that with the physical limitations of the medium, beyond a certain point of technical proficiency it's all just painting with different strokes.

It's 5am. Why haven't I gone to bed yet? Gonna pass out soon.
Weighty questions need answering and you are a team player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back