December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #136 of 1,331
Well, you mentioned you are doing SE only. The best output from the Hilo is balanced as it uses two DACs for a quieter output. I'll have to get some XLR to RCA adapters. I do have some TRS to RCA adapters for the monitor out but that's a single DAC output.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #137 of 1,331
Well, you mentioned you are doing SE only. The best output from the Hilo is balanced as it uses two DACs for a quieter output. I'll have to get some XLR to RCA adapters. I do have some TRS to RCA adapters for the monitor out but that's a single DAC output.

You might want to check with the manufacturer to make sure that's safe. It's generally always okay to use an adapter to go from a single ended gear to balanced gear. (For example an adapter to plug a balanced headphone into a single ended amplifier)

Going from balanced to single ended is a roll of the dice, as the separate negative signals from the DAC will bridge into one when it hits that single ended amplifier. Maybe okay, but maybe a risk of damage. Especially that there's no SE out on the Hilo other than monitor. That raises concern?

Best to check and be safe... and not have Gary in the position of frying loaner equipment.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #138 of 1,331

Maybe the "XLR to RCA adaptor" just takes the non-inverting output and ground from the XLR to the RCA?
Even that's dicey........where does the XLR "ground" come from?
Balanced outputs often use the chassis ground, or enclosure ground, which isn't necessary the same as "signal ground" or "signal common".

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #141 of 1,331
I agree.
Depending on how the XLR outputs are wired to something called "ground", an XLR to RCA adaptor might make you think "the balanced output sounds far better than the SE output!"

I may not be a problem with Lynx, best to ask Lynx.

Edit:
Yikes!
I looked in the High! Low! manual.

I wouldn't use their XLR to RCA adaptor with other manufacturer's equipment.
The manual shows the inverting output tied to ground at the RCA end.
You may void another companies warranty.

Edit #2:
Hmmm.
That is confusing.......
What I was trying to say, (very badly), the HiLo XLR to RCA adaptor should be OK to use with the Hilo to any SE amp.
But won't use the Hilo adaptor on another DAC with balanced outputs.

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #142 of 1,331
Someone alert the media!
The Lynx manual actually states compliance with FCC Class B EMI!

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #143 of 1,331
You might want to check with the manufacturer to make sure that's safe. It's generally always okay to use an adapter to go from a single ended gear to balanced gear. (For example an adapter to plug a balanced headphone into a single ended amplifier)

Going from balanced to single ended is a roll of the dice, as the separate negative signals from the DAC will bridge into one when it hits that single ended amplifier. Maybe okay, but maybe a risk of damage. Especially that there's no SE out on the Hilo other than monitor. That raises concern?

Best to check and be safe... and not have Gary in the position of frying loaner equipment.

Sorry about the third post in a row, folks.

Thegrobe is very wise. Listen to him.

BTW folks, don't try to solve hum problems by cutting the ground pin off your AC power cords.
Why do you think they call it SAFETY GROUND?
I'm serious

In closing:
stay in school
do your homework
clean up your room
listen to your mother

(I may be kidding about the stuff after "in closing", though)

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #145 of 1,331
In closing:
stay in school
do your homework
clean up your room
listen to your mother

(I may be kidding about the stuff after "in closing", though)

Hey... I do all of those things! 

Nov 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #146 of 1,331
Well there's that new Meridian Prime that Jude's mentioned. That might make an interesting addition based on name and exposure.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #147 of 1,331
HC:

I would much rather be safe than sorry.  Unless Lynx says it is perfectly safe (preferably in writing... email is fine) I won't take the chance of frying your DAC or my amp. 
We will avoid the issue and I'll send the TRS-RCA adapters. There are no issues with that.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #149 of 1,331

Is it available?  Quick search didn't locate any place to buy it...

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/Meridian_Prime_Headphone_Amplifier_p/mer0000004.htmhttp://www.ttvjaudio.com/Meridian_Prime_Headphone_Amplifier_p/mer0000004.htm

return policy:
How do I return an item?

Please contact customer service for more information on returning an item. You can contact us at 866-444-3910 toll free or 406-285-3910 to discuss a return or email us at todd@ttvjaudio.com. 

Our 30 day guarantee is to insure that you are entirely happy with you purchase from TTVJ Audio. We refund in full minus shipping costs. Product must be in like new condition or a portion of the refund will be kept to cover the loss.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #150 of 1,331
We will avoid the issue and I'll send the TRS-RCA adapters. There are no issues with that.

Ouch,
my earlier post was confusing.
What I was trying to say (very badly, BTW) is that the Hilo XLR to RCA cable should be OK for using the Hilo DAC into an SE input power amp.

But I wouldn't want to use the Hilo XLR to RCA cable on another DAC's XLR outputs.
Another brand of DAC may not like having an output shorted to ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back