DarkVoice 332 and 336i, which one matches better with Senn HD650?
Jan 19, 2008 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm considering between DarkVoice 332 and its little brother, 336i. Which one matches better with my Senn HD650?

Now I'm using this headphones with phone-out of NAD C372. You know what... it sounds terrible. Despite that C372 is one of very good integrated amps (in its price range, of course), and it drives my Rainmaker wonderfully without any problem, when it comes to driving my new headphones it's a different story. Dull, lifeless, and cogested sound is what I experience.
frown.gif
Even my father's homemade monitor headphone amp (made purely for studio monitor) sounds way... way better.

DV 332 costs 50% more than 336i where I live, so if the difference is not that great, I may consider picking the 336i and save some money for cable upgrade for my headphones.

Some says 332 has a bright and open sound which can brighten Senn's dark signature, while 336i comes with darker tone, which may not go so well with my Senn.

I have yet to audition both of them, but would like to know if the above statement is correct.

P.s. I'll use them for Jazz, Blues, Raggie, POP and Vocal.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 19
I quite like the 332 although they're not really in the same class.

Look into Little Dot amps as well, they came out with some higher end models and seem to be quite popular around here lately. The Little Dot MkIII and MkIV series of amps use the same tubes as the 332, so if you're concerned about tube rolling options in the long term the 332 and Little Dots are equal in that regard.

Jan 19, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 19
Don't know about the DV336i... but the DV332 is outstanding with the HD650s. Depending on your source and tubes, you may not even need another cable.

And... the DV332 does use much less expensive tubes than the DV336i - probably equalizes the difference in price between the two.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I'm considering between DarkVoice 332 and its little brother, 336i. Which one matches better with my Senn HD650?

Now I'm using this headphones with phone-out of NAD C372. You know what... it sounds terrible. Despite that C372 is one of very good integrated amps (in its price range, of course), and it drives my Rainmaker wonderfully without any problem, when it comes to driving my new headphones it's a different story. Dull, lifeless, and cogested sound is what I experience.
frown.gif
Even my father's homemade monitor headphone amp (made purely for studio monitor) sounds way... way better.

DV 332 costs 50% more than 336i where I live, so if the difference is not that great, I may consider picking the 336i and save some money for cable upgrade for my headphones.

Some says 332 has a bright and open sound which can brighten Senn's dark signature, while 336i comes with darker tone, which may not go so well with my Senn.

I have yet to audition both of them, but would like to know if the above statement is correct.

P.s. I'll use them for Jazz, Blues, Raggie, POP and Vocal.

Thanks

How much time do you have on those HD-650s?

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 19
I have both HD650s and a 336i and I can tell you that the synergy between the two is excellent. I am using NOS RCA tubes. I do have a Little Dot MKIII on order for another room and I plan to use both my HD650s and HD580s with it. I understand that the MKIII shines with both Sennheiser models. I don't think you can go wrong with either model DV or the MKIII and MKIV Little Dots.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 19
Based on your replies here and information I gathered while browsing the forum, maybe going straight to 332 is my best bet.

About Little Dot, unfortunately, the model you mentioned is difficult to find here. Only model available is MT model, which costs (when converted to USD) ~$220 (quite expensive here, isn't it?).

Around next month I may be able to audition 332 and 336i. By that time the phones should be fully broken-in and I will bring it with me to see if they can really make a difference. By now I'm quite disappointed with its sound, especially a boomy bass (I think it's not the phones itself, but it's because my NAD's phones-out sucks hard and I'm also sure my father's dedicated headphone amp is not good enough, for it wasn't made for music in the first place).

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Based on your replies here and information I gathered while browsing the forum, maybe going straight to 332 is my best bet.

About Little Dot, unfortunately, the model you mentioned is difficult to find here. Only model available is MT model, which costs (when converted to USD) ~$220 (quite expensive here, isn't it?).

Around next month I may be able to audition 332 and 336i. By that time the phones should be fully broken-in and I will bring it with me to see if they can really make a difference. By now I'm quite disappointed with its sound, especially a boomy bass (I think it's not the phones itself, but it's because my NAD's phones-out sucks hard and I'm also sure my father's dedicated headphone amp is not good enough, for it wasn't made for music in the first place).

Can't you do eBay from your location? This seems to work well for most areas.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 19
E-bay seems to be an interesting option, but considering the cost of shipping, custom duty (around 20-35% of the declared value) and vat (7% based on the goods + customs duty value), possibility of delayed shipment, and on top of everything, not being able to have an audition before I buy, I think I'd better buy from a shop here, knowing that I can get the amp I like most.

It is not that I don't believe you that Little Dot is an interesting alternative, but it is that I'm not sure if I'll like its sound since there is no shop I know selling it here, which is not the case for DarkVoice.

However, if I happen to see it anywhere, I won't be hesitate to give it a try (in case you might ask, I'm in Thailand).

Anyway, I have another question I really like to know.

How is Lisa3 compared to Darkvoice 332 or 336i?
I ask because while I bought the 650, I had a chance to try this phones with Lisa3, Tomahawk, and Hornet.

Though all of them priced at the same level as DarkVoice 332 and 336i, I don't think they can push the 650 to its maximum potential. I felt bass, dynamic, and sound stage were not as good as they should be.

But review here tells a different story, for Lisa3 was ranked 1st in the said review. In fact, Lisa3 costs even more than DarkVoice 332, so it should sound better. I don't know why I don't find it works well with the 650.

With Tomahawk and Hornet, bass was a bit deeper and less boom, but mid wasn't as full as those produced by Lisa3. All in all, I don't think any of them are a perfect match for the senn.

One thing should be mentioned is that all amps I listened to were powered by batteries. I'm new in the headphones world, so I don't know if there is any difference, in term of sound quality, between using battery and power adaptor/transformer. Does any of the amps above sound better using power adaptor?

And can DarkVoice give me more dynamic and punch because it is desktop amp (though it is cheaper)?

Thank you for the enlightenment
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

E-bay seems to be an interesting option, but considering the cost of shipping, custom duty (around 20-35% of the declared value) and vat (7% based on the goods + customs duty value), possibility of delayed shipment, and on top of everything, not being able to have an audition before I buy, I think I'd better buy from a shop here, knowing that I can get the amp I like most.

It is not that I don't believe you that Little Dot is an interesting alternative, but it is that I'm not sure if I'll like its sound since there is no shop I know selling it here, which is not the case for DarkVoice.

However, if I happen to see it anywhere, I won't be hesitate to give it a try (in case you might ask, I'm in Thailand).

Anyway, I have another question I really like to know.

How is Lisa3 compared to Darkvoice 332 or 336i?
I ask because while I bought the 650, I had a chance to try this phones with Lisa3, Tomahawk, and Hornet.

Though all of them priced at the same level as DarkVoice 332 and 336i, I don't think they can push the 650 to its maximum potential. I felt bass, dynamic, and sound stage were not as good as they should be.

But review here tells a different story, for Lisa3 was ranked 1st in the said review. In fact, Lisa3 costs even more than DarkVoice 332, so it should sound better. I don't know way I don't find it works well with the 650.

With Tomahawk and Hornet, bass is a bit deeper and less boom, but mid wasn't as full as those produced by Lisa3. All in all, I don't think any of them are a perfect match for the senn.

One thing should be mentioned is that all amps I listened to were powered by batteries. I'm new in the headphones world, so I don't know if there is any difference, in term of sound quality, between using battery and power adaptor/transformer. Does any of the amps above sound better using power adaptor?

And is DarkVoice can give me more dynamic and punch because of it is desktop amplifier (though it is cheaper)?

Thank you for the enlightenment
smily_headphones1.gif

Ow, ok. eBay could be a problem then for sure!
smily_headphones1.gif
You should go down and listen to some different makes and models. Tube headphone amplifiers sound different than solid state headphone amplifiers. Many people like the "tube" sound, and the rest would rather not have their music "flavored" by a tube sound. The best way to understand it, is to go listen to it. See ya!
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Go to the DV332 thead... as I recall there are some comments regarding how the DV332 compares to the DV336 - I think they report the DV332 is better. And... of course... tubes for the DV332 are far less costly.

But... actually, I doubt it makes much difference (more than 5%, which is almost impossible to discern for most folks). As I recall, the DV336 sounds a bit more "tubey," and the DV332... a bit more SS - but, both sound like tube amps.

The DV332 is compared favorably with amps costing 2 or 3 times as much... especially with the HD650s.

While I haven't heard the Lisa... I wouldn't expect it would sound anywhere near as good as the DV332 (the technology is so different) with the HD650s, which must have a great amp with a lot of power to sound their best. Of course... meaning "anywhere near like a tube amp" with its analog, organic, lush coloration - which to me just sounds more like real, live sound. If... on the other hand... you're seeking a more neutral, analytical, sterile sound... forget tube amps.

Moreover... the DV332 is not a portable amp - if you want a portable amp... get one... but not for the HD650s - they're neither portable phones, nor will they sound up to their potential with any portable amp.

Don't make your decision more difficult than it actually is.

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 19
I owned the LisaIII and the 336i at the same time for a while, and both are excellent, although I have since sold both. The LisaIII is definitely a solid state amp - extremely neutral. The 336i is definetely a tube amp - warm, lush, inviting on the plus side, with sweet but slightly rolled off highs, and plump but slightly loose bass. No doubt it does "flavor" the sound as Penchum said.

I have not owned HD650's in a long time, and I did not have any tube amps when I did own the, so I cannot help you there. But for me personally, I love tube sound, and I always encourage people to try it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for your recommendations.

Finally I picked DarkVoice 332.
Even though bundled tubes suck, the amp sounds very nice with my 650 right now.

I'm wondering what tube rolling would bring
biggrin.gif

Here is my HD650 and its soul mate.
dv2hm4.jpg

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 19
Seriously, you can't take pictures of a tube-amp WITH the flash on!
wink.gif

I'm ordering the very same combination as you within a few weeks, can't wait!

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 19
Can I expect that the price of the 332 will go down with the introduction of the 3322?

Not meaning that I will low-ball the Ebay vendors, but can I expect to get, say, $375 (or lower) shipped (vs. current going rate of $400)?

Or is the 3322 still a good time away from release and pricing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back