DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jun 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #496 of 2,125
  Regardless, let me point out some things that are important about measurements (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

1. Measurements without comprehensive details about what was used to make the measurements and how it was set up, along with control tests, need to be treated with a huge grain of salt.
2. Even measurements using high-grade analysers require very carefully repeated tests and analysis to mean anything, as the analysers have many settings which can change the results. Even something as simple as a wire crossing nearby a power source or cable can change the results. Likewise, just changing the weighting of a measurement (eg: to A-weighting) will change the results considerably. A single spurious tone at one point in the entire frequency range will change a measurement, even if all it affects is one frequency to a degree that is effectively inaudible.
3. Measurements from RMAA are made using frequency sweeps. IMD distortion is measured using a pre-set pair of tones. Music does not consist of frequency sweeps or a single pair of pre-set tones and very likely the device will be used with components that have very different electrical characteristics than an analyser or sound card. That is: An amp's performance into an analyser with sweeps is often different to how it will perform with headphones with music playing, which provide a completely different load.
4. Negative feedback in circuits gives you better numbers, but increases distortion in the time domain, which required extremely expensive equipment to measure. It does impressive-looking numbers though.
5. Manufacturers don't provide more than basic (and essentially useless) measurements because the numbers can be misleading for the above reasons and don't relate to our experience when listening. Sometimes they provide the most impressive numbers in the most impressive weighting at the most impressive frequency to promote their products (and don't put the less impressive ones).
6. Unless measurements can be connected back to our listening experience, they don't tell us anything very useful. They are more useful in the reverse, when trying to track down the reasons for our experiences when listening with a product, such as why certain music sounds better on some headphones than others because of differences in the frequency response.

beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #497 of 2,125
Ok, today I had a little while so I compared the Calyx M to my iPhone 5 with the same tracks, mostly binaural volume-matched. Listening was done with ca-cabled UERMs. Music through the Calyx M was distinctly more clear than through my iPhone 5 (which isn't bad at all). 

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #498 of 2,125
Ok, today I had a little while so I compared the Calyx M to my iPhone 5 with the same tracks, mostly binaural volume-matched. Listening was done with ca-cabled UERMs. Music through the Calyx M was distinctly more clear than through my iPhone 5 (which isn't bad at all). 

Yes, it is much clearer than one would expect with such a rich layered sig. :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #503 of 2,125
Sorry for my silly question,but i wonder which dap/portable device has a decent coax out to feat hugo??
How is the fiio x5 feated to hugo by coax out,anyone experience it??

I have not tried the X5 coax out but the UI is quite mature at this point. I can think of no obvious reason why it would not be an excellent source for the Hugo.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #504 of 2,125
Sorry for my silly question,but i wonder which dap/portable device has a decent coax out to feat hugo??
How is the fiio x5 feated to hugo by coax out,anyone experience it??

The x5 works well with the Hugo.  In fact, I regularly plug it into the Hugo.  Although I find the X5 to be great without an amp, the hugo does give it that richness of the H.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #506 of 2,125
I'm trying to decide between the fiio x5 and the AK 100 Mk 2... is there a significant amount of difference in the sound quality between these two???

I've tried the ak120 and x5 and I like both for different reasons. Had a quick listen to the x5 and found that it had good bass impact with good clarity in the highs/mids with wide soundstage. Unfortunately the size of the x5 is much larger than the ak and its interface takes a while to get used to so it depends on whether design is important to you.

The ak120 has a warmer sound signature which I think makes it sound less clear with slight veil and perceived narrower soundstage although I've been trying different ak firmware versions with listrid which I think improves the sound and clarity of the ak. I imagine the same can be done with the ak100mkii.

Listening to high res dsd I'm sure both players will shine. If small form factor is important than go for the ak but if sound quality and clarity is important and you don't mind the size of the x5 go for that. I prefer the ak because I'm a sucker for good looks.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #507 of 2,125
I've tried the ak120 and x5 and I like both for different reasons. Had a quick listen to the x5 and found that it had good bass impact with good clarity in the highs/mids with wide soundstage. Unfortunately the size of the x5 is much larger than the ak and its interface takes a while to get used to so it depends on whether design is important to you.

The ak120 has a warmer sound signature which I think makes it sound less clear with slight veil and perceived narrower soundstage although I've been trying different ak firmware versions with listrid which I think improves the sound and clarity of the ak. I imagine the same can be done with the ak100mkii.

Listening to high res dsd I'm sure both players will shine. If small form factor is important than go for the ak but if sound quality and clarity is important and you don't mind the size of the x5 go for that. I prefer the ak because I'm a sucker for good looks.

I think is no harm to get both as the X5 is comparably inexpensive

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #508 of 2,125

The x5 works well with the Hugo.  In fact, I regularly plug it into the Hugo.  Although I find the X5 to be great without an amp, the hugo does give it that richness of the H.

How do you find the size of the stack when on the go?

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #509 of 2,125
I'm trying to decide between the fiio x5 and the AK 100 Mk 2... is there a significant amount of difference in the sound quality between these two???

Not much. The AK does have balanced out, though, and is unbelievably well-built. Its UI is much better, too. Just going on sound is a toss up between the two imho. One would think there'd be a big difference between the two, but the X5 is on par, making it a very good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back