Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 3, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,416 of 6,033
So, been listening with the Stealth for couple days now. Not looking to do any extensive write-up as of yet but ready to share some initial impressions.

Build and packaging appear to be topnotch. As others have mentioned, very light-weight and sturdy. I dig the looks and the compact profile when stowed away in its case is cool. Overall, a well thought-out design. My only criticism is that while the Stealth is more comfortable than most headphones, I have a slight hot spot up top. But I attribute that to my egg-shaped dome. For me, these are only second to either my Meze Elite or Empyrean in terms of comfort.

How about the sound? Well, the Stealth presents a very unique listening experience for my ears. These are the best closed-backs I've ever heard. Granted, I have not listened to any of the flagship CBs. Feel like posting which ones I have listened to in the past would be a disservice. Some of the things that stand out are its staging and separation capabilities. Are these better than the Meze Elite in staging? No. But man, when it hits on certain tracks, it's pretty magical. Vocals sound honest. Really impressed with background vocals. Wild at times. The music is stretched out and fine details come through. Resolution sounds quite strong. There's enough weight and body with the lower frequencies. There are a few times where I wish they would present a tad more, but others where it sounds exceptionally right. So recordings pretty much drive it. And I haven't even tried EQ'ing which I'm a n00b to anyways. Definitely digging it as a whole thus far.

Some questions to the experts in the room. . .

1. Driving these currently with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. The Stealth certainly draws more power than other phones I listen to. I have it in 'Hi-Power' mode currently. If there is sufficient volume in 'Lo-Power', should I use that? Is there a penalty (outside of hearing damage) in using one over the other?

2. Same question above but in regards to higher gain levels on a THX AAA 789.

3. Supplied cable is better than most stock cables I've seen. Are there any others out there you think may provide a better listening experience?

Gonna continue to burn these in and see if/how they evolve further. . .

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #2,417 of 6,033
1. Driving these currently with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. The Stealth certainly draws more power than other phones I listen to. I have it in 'Hi-Power' mode currently. If there is sufficient volume in 'Lo-Power', should I use that? Is there a penalty (outside of hearing damage) in using one over the other?

3. Supplied cable is better than most stock cables I've seen. Are there any others out there you think may provide a better listening experience?

Cheers for your impressions

1. Yes, you should make use of the ADI2's gain stages
3. Mechanically maybe, but the DCA cables I've seen were pretty decent in comparison to most competitors

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,419 of 6,033
I’ve been exploring my music catalog pretty extensively every night now that I have the DCA Stealth’s. I continue to be amazed at how much new information these seem to extract. Soundstage is great, instrument layering is amazing. Decay is great and the low end is just about right. I’m more a purest than a bass head so for me the balance these present top to bottom is great.

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,421 of 6,033
Someone recommended here but such a terrible experience ordering WyWires for my Stealth.
I basically have to chase them down to get any info on my order placed almost month ago.
No estimated shipping date. Not even sure if they made it yet.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #2,422 of 6,033
Someone recommended here but such a terrible experience ordering WyWires for my Stealth.
I basically have to chase them down to get any info on my order placed almost month ago.
No estimated shipping date. Not even sure if they made it yet.
As to Alex at Wywires, I had initial amazing experience with him, but he has run into (as far as I can extract from e-mail and calls on my own recent order issues) personal issues in the last month. He told me one day he was shipping my order, no word for a week then finally tracked him down and got order this week, so unfortunately he is having a hard time currently that I cannot explain away.

Nov 6, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #2,423 of 6,033
So, been listening with the Stealth for couple days now. Not looking to do any extensive write-up as of yet but ready to share some initial impressions.

Build and packaging appear to be topnotch. As others have mentioned, very light-weight and sturdy. I dig the looks and the compact profile when stowed away in its case is cool. Overall, a well thought-out design. My only criticism is that while the Stealth is more comfortable than most headphones, I have a slight hot spot up top. But I attribute that to my egg-shaped dome. For me, these are only second to either my Meze Elite or Empyrean in terms of comfort.

How about the sound? Well, the Stealth presents a very unique listening experience for my ears. These are the best closed-backs I've ever heard. Granted, I have not listened to any of the flagship CBs. Feel like posting which ones I have listened to in the past would be a disservice. Some of the things that stand out are its staging and separation capabilities. Are these better than the Meze Elite in staging? No. But man, when it hits on certain tracks, it's pretty magical. Vocals sound honest. Really impressed with background vocals. Wild at times. The music is stretched out and fine details come through. Resolution sounds quite strong. There's enough weight and body with the lower frequencies. There are a few times where I wish they would present a tad more, but others where it sounds exceptionally right. So recordings pretty much drive it. And I haven't even tried EQ'ing which I'm a n00b to anyways. Definitely digging it as a whole thus far.

Some questions to the experts in the room. . .

Gonna continue to burn these in and see if/how they evolve further. . .
As to THX 789 or even RME as final amps for these cans still leave a LOT on the table supply chain wise. The amp and also to lesser degree the dac will most certainly be there limiting reagent in this magic reaction.

Give them a spin on some others to hear what I’m saying. Some obvious options are XI Broadway, Chord TT2, Wells audio, Woo amps, violectric etc…

Pertaining to the headphone cable, I still will recommend Wywires pairing with these, maybe get in touch with Alex there and see what is impacting his process currently before purchasing though.

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,425 of 6,033
+1 on the chord tt2, I haven't listened to too many high-end amps on the stealth, but it's really hard to believe it could get much better than on the tt2.
Running most tube amps out or wells gear after TT2 is an improvement. I run pc-TT2-wells Milo and it’s much better than TT2 direct

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,426 of 6,033
Received my pair of Stealth tonight and trying out some test tracks via TT2 dual XLR3 and Formula S. I am very impressed so far. There is a sense of correctness that I really like about these cans. Vocals are natural and positioned well in the mix, without shout. The treble is just about perfect and never sibilant. I put on the track Ambar Lucid - Get Lost in the Music which I usually find a little harsh in the lower treble due to the vocal distortion effect (at least on the Verite and TC) and couldn't believe how the Stealth made this song consistently more palatable.

Ambar Lucid - Get Lost In The Music
Really effortless.

Initially, I put them on my head and was so bummed that the bass was "nonexistent." THEN I took my glasses off, and HOLY CRAP the bass and life was injected back into the music. I stand with the others here who feel the Stealth bass is tight and tastefully executed. It is balanced very nicely relative to the rest of the FR. I get slam and oh boy do I get rumble. I can't believe how exaggerated whole bass-light issue became.

The following track I've heard countless times but not until now did I realize it has layer of thick sub-bass. The sense of holography that Stealth gives the drum kit in this track is also brand new to me. Well done.

Jordan Rakei - Talk to Me

SO TAKE THOSE GLASSES OFF, BOYS AND GIRLS.

I hate not having my glasses on since my eyes are these cartoonishly tiny black dots that go bink-bink, but really, who needs vision given the way these headphones are straight up sexing on my ears. Not bombastic like a try-hard kid on prom night, and not all brutish like it just got out of prison, but with finesse.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions. More to come later

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #2,427 of 6,033
SO TAKE THOSE GLASSES OFF, BOYS AND GIRLS.

I hate not having my glasses on since my eyes are these cartoonishly tiny black dots that go bink-bink, but really, who needs vision given the way these headphones are straight up sexing on my ears. Not bombastic like a try-hard kid on prom night, and not all brutish like it just got out of prison, but with finesse.

Anyway, those are my initial impressions. More to come later
Contact lenses, baby!

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #2,428 of 6,033
And thin those muttonchops!

Nov 10, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,429 of 6,033
The following track I've heard countless times but not until now did I realize it has layer of thick sub-bass. The sense of holography that Stealth gives the drum kit in this track is also brand new to me. Well done.
Are you saying you listened a bass layer that you didn't hear with the Abyss?!?

Nov 10, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,430 of 6,033
Are you saying you listened a bass layer that you didn't hear with the Abyss?!?
That happened to me with the Susvara a lot and I concluded that there were better headphones when it came to bass accuracy than the Abyss. The Abyss has unbeatable bass impact, but that's not the same as being accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back