Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 31, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,386 of 5,994
But how does it compare to the ZMF VC in terms of timbre and sound stage?
I own both. Both timbre and soundstage are superior on the Stealth. Timbre and tuning are massively better, and soundstage is somewhat better.

Detail reproduction is somewhat even. The VC's beryllium-coated drivers probably help here. Stealth has cleaner and blacker background.

Stealth is less immediately "exciting" but also much cleaner and more natural. I easily prefer the Stealth.

Stealth has a much better build, which is saying something, because ZMF has excellent build already. Stealth is also transportable.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,389 of 5,994
I own both. Both timbre and soundstage are superior on the Stealth. Timbre and tuning are massively better, and soundstage is somewhat better.

Detail reproduction is somewhat even. The VC's beryllium-coated drivers probably help here. Stealth has cleaner and blacker background.

Stealth is less immediately "exciting" but also much cleaner and more natural. I easily prefer the Stealth.

Stealth has a much better build, which is saying something, because ZMF has excellent build already. Stealth is also transportable.
Thanks so much for that comparison. What about sound leakage? Do they both isolate equally? What about bass reproduction comparing the two? Are they both as detailed in the mids for vocals? What are you driving them with? I have the Susvara and Utopoas but was looking for a closed back when others are near. Will I be terribly disappointed coming from Susvara and Utopias?

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,390 of 5,994
Thanks so much for that comparison. What about sound leakage? Do they both isolate equally? What about bass reproduction comparing the two? Are they both as detailed in the mids for vocals? What are you driving them with? I have the Susvara and Utopoas but was looking for a closed back when others are near. Will I be terribly disappointed coming from Susvara and Utopias?
They both isolate well, but are vented so not suitable for use in an office environment at loud volumes.

Can't comment much on mids for vocals, since I listen to mostly instrumental.

I drive them with an RME ADI-2.

I haven't heard the Susvara. Compared to the Utopia, I'd say it's pretty evenly matched, doing some things better and other things worse. For example, I found the reproduction of acoustic guitar more realistic on the Utopia. I found the overall signature of the Stealth more natural, with a blacker background.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,391 of 5,994
They both isolate well, but are vented so not suitable for use in an office environment at loud volumes.

Can't comment much on mids for vocals, since I listen to mostly instrumental.

I drive them with an RME ADI-2.

I haven't heard the Susvara. Compared to the Utopia, I'd say it's pretty evenly matched, doing some things better and other things worse. For example, I found the reproduction of acoustic guitar more realistic on the Utopia. I found the overall signature of the Stealth more natural, with a blacker background.
I agree with this statement having both the Utopia and the Stealth. I would add that the Stealth is lacking in the low end without EQ where as the Utopia bangs like Joey Votto.

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,392 of 5,994
My thoughts on the stealth FWIIW!!
Let me first say that as far as the TOTL HP’s there seems to be a divide between those who prefer the sound signature of the abyss TC and those who prefer the susvara…I for one love them both depending on mood and music I choose to listen to.
I mention this because I think the stealth will appeal to those who prefer the susvara while those who prefer the abyss may find it too tame and ethereal…personally I like it very much…I sold my Stellia that I liked quite a bit as my closed back travel option for the stealth

I love the form factor of the stealth, I love the size and fit and especially love the way it folds up into its little carry case to transport,Let me state out front this is a tough little devil to drive, it isn’t as tough to drive as the susvara but it is in the class of the abyss in terms of amping needs.
When I mentioned the susvara vs abyss please do not take that to mean I think it is the equal of the susvara…it isn’t but few HP’s are….it is however extremely easy to listen to, extremely detailed and surprisingly spacious for an open back.It does everything well like the susvara but like the abyss vs susvara debate it lacks the slam that some demand.I personally do not need the thump and sub bass that the abyss and LCD-4 provide but many do and this wont be the HP for you…

Give it proper amping and a good source and it will provide an extremely pleasing experience ….

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,393 of 5,994
My thoughts on the stealth FWIIW!!
Let me first say that as far as the TOTL HP’s there seems to be a divide between those who prefer the sound signature of the abyss TC and those who prefer the susvara…I for one love them both depending on mood and music I choose to listen to.
I mention this because I think the stealth will appeal to those who prefer the susvara while those who prefer the abyss may find it too tame and ethereal…personally I like it very much…I sold my Stellia that I liked quite a bit as my closed back travel option for the stealth

I love the form factor of the stealth, I love the size and fit and especially love the way it folds up into its little carry case to transport,Let me state out front this is a tough little devil to drive, it isn’t as tough to drive as the susvara but it is in the class of the abyss in terms of amping needs.
When I mentioned the susvara vs abyss please do not take that to mean I think it is the equal of the susvara…it isn’t but few HP’s are….it is however extremely easy to listen to, extremely detailed and surprisingly spacious for an open back.It does everything well like the susvara but like the abyss vs susvara debate it lacks the slam that some demand.I personally do not need the thump and sub bass that the abyss and LCD-4 provide but many do and this wont be the HP for you…

Give it proper amping and a good source and it will provide an extremely pleasing experience ….
This write up resonates with me. I agree with what you wrote, especially regarding power needs and the even tonality of the Stealth. I also agree completely with you regarding the Susvara and TC, I had the TC for a few weeks on loan and had the opportunity to buy them and passed. They were great on certain genres & tracks but the size, weight, and niche use kept my money in my wallet (which I happily used to buy the LCD5) thankfully. The Susvara are just the best at everything as a whole (kind of like a great movie that has a few lines or scenes that you wish could be more impactful to the film but they don't take away from the overall experience) and I don't find the Stealth on its level but I do find the Stealth very good and similar in presentation.

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #2,394 of 5,994
I hooked up my iFi iDSD to my PC and used the Stealth for a few games and I can say they are better than the Sennheiser Drop Gaming Headset, the LCD-GX, Focal Radiance, and Utopia for gaming. Aural cues are much more clear and ambient noises are great also. Found my new gaming headphones!

How's the immersion (environmental sounds) and bass impact (explosions, guns, etc.) while gaming?

Oct 31, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,396 of 5,994
How's the immersion (environmental sounds) and bass impact (explosions, guns, etc.) while gaming?
Glad you asked, I use a Boosted High EQ in game so I can place footsteps better while tamping down the gun shots and explosions which can give me a headache sometimes or at least make playing unenjoyable most times so I try to keep those noises to a minimum as far as impact goes. Environmental Sounds (wind noises, buildings creaking) still come through and are better than any of the other headphones I tried even with many custom EQ's.

I will give them a try with a game like Cyberpunk some time but for right now with Warzone the Stealth and iFi iDSD RED DAC Amp they are really good, and the $4K overkill isn't lost on me. Gaming PC, TOTL Monitor, DAC/AMP, and Headphones totaling $11K is not real life, but then again it is "gaming"..........

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,398 of 5,994
Glad you asked, I use a Boosted High EQ in game so I can place footsteps better while tamping down the gun shots and explosions which can give me a headache sometimes or at least make playing unenjoyable most times so I try to keep those noises to a minimum as far as impact goes. Environmental Sounds (wind noises, buildings creaking) still come through and are better than any of the other headphones I tried even with many custom EQ's.

I will give them a try with a game like Cyberpunk some time but for right now with Warzone the Stealth and iFi iDSD RED DAC Amp they are really good, and the $4K overkill isn't lost on me. Gaming PC, TOTL Monitor, DAC/AMP, and Headphones totaling $11K is not real life, but then again it is "gaming"..........

I'm in the "overkill" territory myself, lol. I can completely relate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back