Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #2,371 of 5,994
Dare you post that comment in the LCD5 thread 🤪
is it? look at the breakdown, for sound lcd-5 get a decimal higher than stealth and one decimal less than susvara...if this matters ; ) want both though.....

Oct 30, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,372 of 5,994
NOMAX:
Thats not a surprice...everybody knows and hear it easily why Stealth is above the LCD5 when you compare it 😉

NOMAX

Deuter:
Dare you post that comment in the LCD5 thread 🤪
No need I can comment owning both, I will likely be selling my Stealth (The only way I keep them is if they become my Warzone headset). They do not compare to the LCD5 for my tastes and hearing. They are great for a closed back but they are a closed back which doesn't compare in soundstage and the Stealth do not have anywhere near the impact of the LCD5 to me, even without my glasses the Stealth are thin in the low end. I have EQ'd and I also upgraded the cable to my Norne Cables (which made a good impact over the stock for certain) and still do not get the presentation of the LCD5. The are DIFFERENT headphones, they sound DIFFERENT - that's the truth.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #2,373 of 5,994
The one sounds bright (not sharp or sibilant)....the other dark....to dark

NOMAX

PS.for me an audiophile tonality should have enough brightness to show you what is really on the recording 😉

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,374 of 5,994
No need I can comment owning both, I will likely be selling my Stealth (The only way I keep them is if they become my Warzone headset). They do not compare to the LCD5 for my tastes and hearing. They are great for a closed back but they are a closed back which doesn't compare in soundstage and the Stealth do not have anywhere near the impact of the LCD5 to me, even without my glasses the Stealth are thin in the low end. I have EQ'd and I also upgraded the cable to my Norne Cables (which made a good impact over the stock for certain) and still do not get the presentation of the LCD5. The are DIFFERENT headphones, they sound DIFFERENT - that's the truth.
That's a pretty fair assessment, but I would add, is that the stealth does have quite a bit more going for it than the LCD 5 outside of sound quality. The better comfort, being $500 to $1100 cheaper, and the isolation is pretty easy to miss on the lCD 5. I actually ever so slightly prefer the sound of the LCD 5 to the stealth while not using eq, but I have to sacrifice quite a bit for something that's just "Different" and objectively better.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #2,375 of 5,994
That's a pretty fair assessment, but I would add, is that the stealth does have quite a bit more going for it than the LCD 5 outside of sound quality. The better comfort, being $500 to $1100 cheaper, and the isolation is pretty easy to miss on the lCD 5. I actually ever so slightly prefer the sound of the LCD 5 to the stealth while not using eq, but I have to sacrifice quite a bit for something that's just "Different" and objectively better.
Fair from you also, thanks. Comfort wise for me the LCD5 are a notch or two above. Not being able to actually adjust the Stealth headband is less than ideal, I find the elastic pieces on the side to be too loose and they allow the weight of the Stealth to hang them down and they rest on top of my ears too much and/or feel a bit loose. I edited this, I would not say they are uncomfortable to me as much as they do not feel necessarily secure and slide down to the top of my ears. I have big ears YEMBS.

The $500 difference at retail is a bill I am able to absorb for the fit and the impact & soundstage difference I am hearing right now. As I mentioned I might keep them for Warzone and unload my Utopia since I am getting very very similar slam out of the LCD5 for electronic music that the Utopia give me.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #2,376 of 5,994
Anyone compare to the Susvara?

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,377 of 5,994
Anyone compare to the Susvara?
Yes, I have had them side by side for a few weeks. The Susvara do everything with vocals and strings BETTER. I have had the Stellia and I think the Stealth are better than the Stellia for me. If I had to have a closed back I would take the Stealth over the Susvara but that is Mr. Obvious stuff. The Susvara are not really comparable to the Stealth for me. I am listening to the same tracks back and forth now on the Stealth, the Susvara, and the LCD5. I made a previous post comparing the Stealth, Susvara, and the Utopia and I think the Stealth has likely replaced the Utopia as my 3rd favorite at this point. I'd say overall Susvara/LCD5/Stealth/Utopia in that order for my tastes as a GROUP, but if I didn't have the LCD5 in my stable I would have the Utopia above the Stealth for impact and dynamics. I am focusing on the Susvara vs the LCD5 now to see if there can truly be ONE. I think at this point the LCD5 or Stealth can be a Great #2 to the Susvara overall since they offer different benefits.

Important note, I find the Stealth damn near as hard to drive as the Susvara - Example: Holo Audio Spring 3 with AHB2 driving both sets - Susvara are at 80 on the volume dial and the Stealth are at 75.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #2,378 of 5,994
Yes, I have had them side by side for a few weeks. The Susvara do everything with vocals and strings BETTER. I have had the Stellia and I think the Stealth are better than the Stellia for me. If I had to have a closed back I would take the Stealth over the Susvara but that is Mr. Obvious stuff. The Susvara are not really comparable to the Stealth for me. I am listening to the same tracks back and forth now on the Stealth, the Susvara, and the LCD5. I made a previous post comparing the Stealth, Susvara, and the Utopia and I think the Stealth has likely replaced the Utopia as my 3rd favorite at this point. I'd say overall Susvara/LCD5/Stealth/Utopia in that order for my tastes as a GROUP, but if I didn't have the LCD5 in my stable I would have the Utopia above the Stealth for impact and dynamics. I am focusing on the Susvara vs the LCD5 now to see if there can truly be ONE. I think at this point the LCD5 or Stealth can be a Great #2 to the Susvara overall since they offer different benefits.

Important note, I find the Stealth damn near as hard to drive as the Susvara - Example: Holo Audio Spring 3 with AHB2 driving both sets - Susvara are at 80 on the volume dial and the Stealth are at 75.
Wow and thanks for the quick evaluation, if the lcd-5 can be even close to the susvara its worthwhile consideration as not have to buy a extra headphone amp to match…. That said I will be looking for an upgrade to my trusty HD800( used for 7 years now) as a christmas present to my self, totl headphones, amp and streamer so in for a treat if I can narrow it down and go for a listening session somwhere in Sweden… not so easy though…bartok/mscaler/dave and susvara/lcd5/stealth…?

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2,379 of 5,994
Wow and thanks for the quick evaluation, if the lcd-5 can be even close to the susvara its worthwhile consideration as not have to buy a extra headphone amp to match…. That said I will be looking for an upgrade to my trusty HD800( used for 7 years now) as a christmas present to my self, totl headphones, amp and streamer so in for a treat if I can narrow it down and go for a listening session somwhere in Sweden… not so easy though…bartok/mscaler/dave and susvara/lcd5/stealth…?
I am using the Holo Audio Spring 3 w/Preamp combined with the Benchmark AHB2 (I own) in one setup and The Dave/Mscaler powered by the Woo WA33 (this setup is on loan to me) in another. I haven't been able to A/B all 4 headphones I have yet between both setups but will do that tomorrow while I take some notes on what I am hearing. I honestly think all 4 of these headphones are really really good, and the Chain is top tier also so we are talking about the 1% game for sure here in comparisons.

Oct 30, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,380 of 5,994
Fair from you also, thanks. Comfort wise for me the LCD5 are a notch or two above. Not being able to actually adjust the Stealth headband is less than ideal, I find the elastic pieces on the side to be too loose and they allow the weight of the Stealth to hang them down and they rest on top of my ears too much and/or feel a bit loose. I edited this, I would not say they are uncomfortable to me as much as they do not feel necessarily secure and slide down to the top of my ears. I have big ears YEMBS.

The $500 difference at retail is a bill I am able to absorb for the fit and the impact & soundstage difference I am hearing right now. As I mentioned I might keep them for Warzone and unload my Utopia since I am getting very very similar slam out of the LCD5 for electronic music that the Utopia give me.
Ah, the comfort issue makes sense, but was told by someone it is possible to tighten the elastic on other dca cans, not sure how, but I'd check to see if it's possible with the stealth before selling.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #2,381 of 5,994
Ah, the comfort issue makes sense, but was told by someone it is possible to tighten the elastic on other dca cans, not sure how, but I'd check to see if it's possible with the stealth before selling.
Thanks, I will. Maybe it is possible to unscrew the attachment piece and trim the elastic a bit. Likely an â…› or so.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,382 of 5,994
I am using the Holo Audio Spring 3 w/Preamp combined with the Benchmark AHB2 (I own) in one setup and The Dave/Mscaler powered by the Woo WA33 (this setup is on loan to me) in another. I haven't been able to A/B all 4 headphones I have yet between both setups but will do that tomorrow while I take some notes on what I am hearing. I honestly think all 4 of these headphones are really really good, and the Chain is top tier also so we are talking about the 1% game for sure here in comparisons.
Pleased to hear your feedback, looking forward to you feedback, have the ahb2 as my amp for my esl2905 so familiar with their full transparancy! Salivating and looking at a Bartok as end game( next 10 year) thing for headphone amd pre amp and then headphones…but maybe HMS/Dave is better + streamer…any how a discussion for a diffrent thread, that said lcd-5 on the list and any feedback is appreciated…

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #2,384 of 5,994
How well does the Stealth pair with OTC tube amps? Or are they best with Class A solid states?

Any further comparisons with the Stealth vs. VC and Rognir?
I think they respond pretty poorly to tubing them as they're already a little too soft on the low end, the highs are already as non fatiguing as you can get, and they generally appreciate large amounts of overhead power similar to susvara, albeit to a lesser degree, which is not easy to get on a tube amp. SS amps imo is really the only way to get these to perform really well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back