Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 14, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #2,446 of 5,996
funny, I liked my diana phi thought it was comfortable and transportable

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #2,449 of 5,996
You might be right, although a Closed Headphone is extremely hard to implement. There is so much that can go wrong.
I heard the Stealth yesterday and don't believe any closed headphone comes close to it in sonic performance.
Glad you enjoyed them my dude!
I much enjoyed the experience with your 1266 and the focal clear too!
I'll admit I preffer both the sonics, fit and design of stealth to both the others, but darned if they aren't nice!
Also you sold me hands down on the woo audio dual headphone stand so looking forward to sorting they out soon too!

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #2,450 of 5,996
I hope it is good and innovative. But what I find a little bit irritating is that, a photo of the measurement fixture is there but not the measurement data. Why? Sorry, but “the measurements don’t matter” is a complete BS. If it wasn’t, they would not try to fix the distortion issues. I feel like, some companies cannot properly tune the HPs and then blame the fixture that “the measurement data would anyway not be correct above 3 kHz”.

But still, it looks like a good design and I hope it is technically competitive, too.
Well basically no headphone company posts measurement data on their product Page.
Curious if Jude will get his hands on a pair to measure them

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #2,451 of 5,996
Well basically no headphone company posts measurement data on their product Page.
Curious if Jude will get his hands on a pair to measure them
Ultrasone gave their measurement of Frequency Response inside the box of my Ed 15 Veritas.
That is a good way to do.

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,452 of 5,996
Ultrasone gave their measurement of Frequency Response inside the box of my Ed 15 Veritas.
That is a good way to do.
It certainly is but there are valid reasons for manufacturers not to do this.

I.e if you do only one measurement to ensure nothing is broken it will differ from other examples of the same headphone.

Then you have two customers that know each other and share their measurement sheet who then contact support because the 2 headphones have different measurements, therefore one must be broken...

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,453 of 5,996
It certainly is but there are valid reasons for manufacturers not to do this.

I.e if you do only one measurement to ensure nothing is broken it will differ from other examples of the same headphone.

Then you have two customers that know each other and share their measurement sheet who then contact support because the 2 headphones have different measurements, therefore one must be broken...
Also on top of this it stops "spec wars" as happens in many other industry's.
We don't really care that your headphone can faithfully reproduce up to 60khz, we can't come close to hearing it!
Bigger/smaller numbers as an example aren't always "better"
Same as how measurments aren't always the be all and end all of gear (asr guys can bonk me on the head later)
Yes it all helps consumers make a more informed decision, but overloading us with specs can be a negative too

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,454 of 5,996
We don't really care that your headphone can faithfully reproduce up to 60khz, we can't come close to hearing it!
Same as how measurments aren't always the be all and end all of gear (asr guys can bonk me on the head later)
Yes it all helps consumers make a more informed decision, but overloading us with specs can be a negative too
Standards are important. Just like in networking where you have standards in place that your product meets or exceeds the agreed to standards Audiophiles would benefit greatly from standardization to cut through the BS but this industry is beset on both sides of by a ton of pseudoscience and differences in measurement rigs and style that it likely won’t happen in our lifetime but it would be a win for consumers for sure.

This is why the experience of others who’s posted experience and listening styles aligning with ours is the closest we can get to understanding the sounds of items without hearing them ourselves.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #2,455 of 5,996
Easy, if you don't want to be overloaded, don't read it. :) Everytime I bring out asking for measurements, someone opposes it in some weird way, as if I am forcing them to read them.

Guys, someone asking for and evaluating measurements is not about you. In fact, the asking person does not care if you evaluate this or that way. I am asking it for myself and don't care what you do. I am not asking you to stop listening or reading references. I don't ask for data for you, but for myself! I am not telling you to not use your own experience and methods for decision, but mention my own experience.

Why are you guys acting like measurement police?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2,456 of 5,996
Standards are important. Just like in networking where you have standards in place that your product meets or exceeds Audiophiles would benefit greatly from standardization to cut through the BS but this industry is beset on both sides of by a ton of pseudoscience and differences in measurement rigs and style that it likely won’t happen in our lifetime but it would be a win for consumers for sure.

This is why the experience of others who’s posted experience and listening styles aligning with ours is the closest we can get to understanding the sounds of items without hearing them ourselves.
Agree 100%
I'd take it a step furthur and say RELEVANT standards are important.
The biggest issue aside inconsistency in specs listed is when marketing gets involved. But that's another rant for another day.
In my humblest of opinions, of course.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,457 of 5,996
Easy, if you don't want to be overloaded, don't read it. :) Everytime I bring out asking for measurements, someone opposes it in some weird way, as if I am forcing them to read them.

Guys, someone asking and evaluating measurements is not about you. In fact, the asking person does not care if you evaluate this or that way. I am asking it for myself and don't care what you do. I am not asking you to stop listening or reading references. I don't care about what you do. I don't ask for data for you, but for myself!

Why are you guys acting like measurement police?
Sorry, I may have come across wrong. I'm not measurement police. I believe measurments are a valuable addition to the field.
I was more referencing manufacturer specs/measurments.

On the flip side I don't base my judgments soley on measurments, but do value them and take that data into account of a bigger picture.
I wouldn't have gotten the stealth if it didn't sound AND measure amazingly among other factors :)

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #2,458 of 5,996
Sorry, I may have come across wrong. I'm not measurement police. I believe measurments are a valuable addition to the field.
I was more referencing manufacturer specs/measurments.

On the flip side I don't base my judgments soley on measurments, but do value them and take that data into account of a bigger picture.
I wouldn't have gotten the stealth if it didn't sound AND measure amazingly among other factors :)
Sorry, half of HF is measurement police. Some are even worse, ready to hunt you down and shoot you for "overwhelming" them. Everytime I mention or evaluate something, someone comes and explains what the bigger picture is, why someone should listen, and what he thinks and bla. As if the person cares about it or has failed to read the same comments 999 times and it has to be repeated and thought a 1000th time. As if after spending tens of thousands on this hobby, the person that comments about measurements failed to "give it a listen". Can you see how ridiculous it gets?

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,459 of 5,996
Sorry, half of HF is measurement police. Some are even worse, ready to hunt you down and shoot you for "overwhelming" them. Everytime I mention or evaluate something, someone comes and explains what the bigger picture is, why someone should listen, and what he thinks and bla. As if the person cares about it or has failed to read the same comments 999 times and it has to be repeated and thought a 1000th time. As if after spending tens of thousands on this hobby, the person that comments about measurements failed to "give it a listen". Can you see how ridiculous it gets?
Of course.
Personally I like measurments as well as opinions and experiences.

As my name hints I work in the coffee industry and after years of professional experience and learning different parts of it I can say it's part science/measurments/specs, part art and lastly partly individual experiences. It draw parallels with the audio world.

There is a place for all of these aspects and all are relevent - even if we can't all agree on something at the end of the day.

My annoyance with spec wars (to be clear not data/graphs you or other community members worked hard to generate and record) etc from manufacturers is on par with gut feeling/give it a listen people too. (Same with "this coffee is best" or people that say expresso - don't get me started)

But take all of this community info, shake it up in a can and evaluate what you end up with and you'll get the best all around picture imo

The more info we have from as many sources as possible gives us the best chance of evaluating something accurately.

Especially as a newbie I appreciate, value and respect your(and everyone else's) data AND opinions here.

Much love to everyone ❤️

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,460 of 5,996
"As my name hints I work in the coffee industry and after years of professional experience and learning different parts of it I can say it's part science/measurments/specs, part art and lastly partly individual experiences. It draw parallels with the audio world.

Much love to everyone ❤️"
GREAT ANALOGY and Salutation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back