Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #4,366 of 5,996
However, when you compare the Harman Curve to the straight line that most planar headphones are aiming for you will see that the mid-bass actually isn't boosted over them. It dips down beneath them between 100hz and 150hz.
What is typically "flat" with speakers, which is what Harman tries to emulate, sounds a bit mid-bass sucked-out from headphones.
You can see both of you are talking different things. Pande is talking comparison between 2 different headphones FR vs Curra saying Harman vs speakers. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #4,367 of 5,996
That came from Dan's presentation if you watched it.

He also added the bump on 100hz to counter the low distortion of his design.
The graph is not Dan's, it is just something that he pulled from ASR. Also, here is a comparison of the Susvara to the Stealth.

Note how the Susvara is 2-3 db above the stealth from 150hz to 300hz. The stock Harman curve doesn't have that bump that Dan added so it's even lower in that general area and below.

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    350.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #4,368 of 5,996
The graph is not Dan's, it is just something that he pulled from ASR. Also, here is a comparison of the Susvara to the Stealth.

Note how the Susvara is 2-3 db above the stealth from 150hz to 300hz. The stock Harman curve doesn't have that bump that Dan added so it's even lower in that general area and below.
Again... I didn't say Dan created the graph. I said he used it in the presentation if your talking about the multi-colored one. If you are talking about the ASR graph itself, it still tracks closely to Harman enough to be relevant visual representation to how Dan said the Stealth tracks closely to it.

I have nothing to argue with you between different HP curves. My comment is just based on what curra said...

What is typically "flat" with speakers, which is what Harman tries to emulate, sounds a bit mid-bass sucked-out from headphones.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #4,370 of 5,996
Yup, and not so elevated subbas region that's why it sounds very different to what Stealth has in bass region.
(but not only Susvara, generally speaking almost every planar has that kind of response in bass/lower midrange region)

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,372 of 5,996
I’d think a go fund me is in order to get @801evan to a can-jam where he can present his Diablo and Susvara/Stealth on low gain versus a few of the more normally recognized amps that power them with aplomb (over power them of course). I got a donation for it.

It could put all of this to rest to actually get other experienced members here to get their ears on his “chain” and hear what he’s been believing.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #4,373 of 5,996
I’d think a go fund me is in order to get @801evan to a can-jam where he can present his Diablo and Susvara/Stealth on low gain versus a few of the more normally recognized amps that power them with aplomb (over power them according to him). I got a donation for it.

It could put all of this to rest to actually get other experienced members here to get their ears on his “chain” and hear what he’s been believing.
The only thing I would fund is sending him to a remote island with no Internet. :darthsmile:

Surely, you must be joking about "putting this all to rest". He'd simply tell you that his chain is "correct" and your brain is wrong!

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #4,374 of 5,996
I’d think a go fund me is in order to get @801evan to a can-jam where he can present his Diablo and Susvara/Stealth on low gain versus a few of the more normally recognized amps that power them with aplomb (over power them according to him). I got a donation for it.

The only thing I would fund is sending him to a remote island with no Internet. :darthsmile:

Surely, you must be joking about "putting this all to rest". He'd simply tell you that his chain is "correct" and your brain is wrong!
I believe the sarcasm speaks for itself. I used the ignore button and half the thread disappeared! 😁

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #4,375 of 5,996
I have nothing to explain to Dan as he is correct while you are wrong.

Screenshot_20220705-182930.jpgScreenshot_20220705-182802.jpg
The mid-bass is not as suck out as you claimed, but a bump.
I wrote what Dan said from 13:35 onwards in my own words. You just mis-understood what I wrote. I was talking about what people perceive, versus what they are used to. In summary, "speaker flat" sounds like the mid-bass has been sucked out to a lot of people. Ditto in a "perfect" high-end speaker room.

Jul 6, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #4,376 of 5,996
I wrote what Dan said from 13:35 onwards in my own words. You just mis-understood what I wrote.

I think that there is some confusion as to what is "flat" in typical headphone measurements. It's worth watching that CanJam presentation Dan did, as he clarifies it well. With headphones, what is typically "flat" through from 20 Hz to 1 kHz, would come across as having a mid-bass hump if it were from speakers. What is typically "flat" with speakers, which is what Harman tries to emulate, sounds a bit mid-bass sucked-out from headphones.
Screenshot_20220705-181832.jpg

Screenshot_20220705-181836.jpgScreenshot_20220705-181846.jpg

Your attempt to put it in your own words is where the incongruence lies.

Anyways, friendly reminder to let me know of the Hugo 2 color where it clips.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-181836.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-181836.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #4,377 of 5,996
No incongruence. I said basically the same thing Dan did. Thanks for verifying that.

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #4,380 of 5,996
I’d think a go fund me is in order to get @801evan to a can-jam where he can present his Diablo and Susvara/Stealth on low gain versus a few of the more normally recognized amps that power them with aplomb (over power them of course). I got a donation for it.

at canjam with the setup you describe for susvara you literally wouldnt be able to hear the music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back