Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 6, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #4,381 of 5,994
at canjam with the setup you describe for susvara you literally wouldnt be able to hear the music
Not with our chains but with his it appears we could. You would think the manufacturers would employ that technology to get the best out of their headphones with the minimal power required. It is the day of the New Green Deal.

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #4,382 of 5,994
lets hope it aint as effective as the green new deal lol

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #4,383 of 5,994
No incongruence. I said basically the same thing Dan did. Thanks for verifying that.

What is typically "flat" with speakers, which is what Harman tries to emulate, sounds a bit mid-bass sucked-out from headphones.
Screenshot_20220707-144159.jpgScreenshot_20220707-143709.jpg

Mid bass bump right there...not suck out.

Jul 7, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #4,384 of 5,994
Screenshot_20220707-144159.jpgScreenshot_20220707-143709.jpg

Mid bass bump right there...not suck out.
Once again, you're wrong but you cannot just admit it and move on. The bass hump you mention is what Dan added to make the Stealth seem more pleasing and familiar in the bass region. It's not what @Currawong is talking about. He's just saying when you try to reproduce a speaker flat sound on headphones, it could seem like there's a bass suck out. That's why Dan added the bass bump.

In typical fashion, instead of just admitting you misunderstood or anything like that you are going out of your way to prove you were right, but it's not working. This is what people find annoying about your posts.

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #4,385 of 5,994
Important to note is that Dan's conjecture is related to distortion in the ~100Hz region and not only the frequency response.
The bump in that region on the Stealth is a replacement for the missing distortion that would otherwise create the impression of a more "dynamic" bass.

I think Dan's guess is correct, but it's difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #4,386 of 5,994
The bass hump you mention is what Dan added to make the Stealth seem more pleasing and familiar in the bass region.
Wrong
The bump in that region on the Stealth is a replacement for the missing distortion that would otherwise create the impression of a more "dynamic" bass.
Someguy is correct. Dan mentioned that this area has a particularly low distortion that they needed to add a bump to make it sound more 'correct' and this can be seen on ASR's absolute distortion levels where there is a drop on exactly this area. So the correlation is there.

So the bump is there as a counter move and not as an emulation of Harman...

He's just saying when you try to reproduce a speaker flat sound on headphones, it could seem like there's a bass suck out. That's why Dan added the bass bump.
Well your statement is quite incomplete. A speaker 'flat' sound in a room or in an anechoic chamber? What's practical and accessible to find this statement relatable would be a speaker in room scenario and how someone claims it sounds flat. So now that statement will make people think a speaker that's flat sounding in a room will actually have a mid bass suck out and that's what Harman is trying to emulate as per Curra....and you.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #4,387 of 5,994
I love the sound of the Stealth I just heard it at my customers house he just happen to be in to headphones. I listened to it on the Naim headphone server dac amp. Very surprised I enjoyed it. I must have one.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #4,388 of 5,994
Wrong

Someguy is correct. Dan mentioned that this area has a particularly low distortion that they needed to add a bump to make it sound more 'correct' and this can be seen on ASR's absolute distortion levels where there is a drop on exactly this area. So the correlation is there.

So the bump is there as a counter move and not as an emulation of Harman...

Well your statement is quite incomplete. A speaker 'flat' sound in a room or in an anechoic chamber? What's practical and accessible to find this statement relatable would be a speaker in room scenario and how someone claims it sounds flat. So now that statement will make people think a speaker that's flat sounding in a room will actually have a mid bass suck out and that's what Harman is trying to emulate as per Curra....and you.
Just read what Dan said again. Stop twisting words and moving goalposts just to prove yourself right.

Jul 7, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,389 of 5,994
Important to note is that Dan's conjecture is related to distortion in the ~100Hz region and not only the frequency response.

I think Dan's guess is correct, but it's difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
You are right. I was speaking in terms of bass perception. The bump in distortion in that region adds a bit of that bass punch/tactile feeling that users tend to find pleasing and familiar. While that bump may not show on the frequency response but does show on the distortion plot, the effect on the user is an increase in bass perception.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #4,390 of 5,994
I don't want to stir the waters here but I just tried M17 low gain with Susvara. I have to hit nearly the max volume for some enjoyable volume level, but at least I didn't hear any clipping in the sound with 'Cradle to the Grave' and 'Breeze / Meta & Cornerstones'. That said, I am still a cheapo that doesn't invest in any cables, sources etc. and trust my technical background as much as my ears. 😛

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #4,391 of 5,994
Wow! An unexpected follow up to the legendary 'Friday Night in San Francisco' album. I always thought 'Zyryab' was inspired from the Mahavishnu Orchestra's 'Meeting of the Spirits'...

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #4,392 of 5,994
I can understand your idea - certainly sounds like a Mahavishnu arrangement!!! They must have exchanged some ideas back in the 90s🤔

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #4,393 of 5,994
I can understand your idea - certainly sounds like a Mahavishnu arrangement!!! They must have exchanged some ideas back in the 90s🤔
Especially live recordings of the Zyryab. You can hear Paco playing pieces of the MotS recording above. This one below is still my favorite Zyryab version. Interestingly a few days ago my wife was playing it on the piano, and I heard it while working, and I was thinking about the Zyryab, the Paco concert I saw in Istanbul before he passed away and also the MotS. I know what I will be listening to tomorrow...

Jul 7, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #4,394 of 5,994
Me too, thx for the suggestion!
Sad day for me when he passed, a bit too young imo...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,395 of 5,994
You ever notice that when we talk about music, no arguing ever happens?

It's almost as if our opinions on what we like are *gasp* treated with respect and as a matter of taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back