Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 8, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #4,411 of 6,001
I could be wrong, but if you can't clip on cradle to the grave and you don't destroy your driver's your doing it wrong dude

It takes a huge amount of oooompf to drive the stealth up to 100% volume on this track (if stealth even has a limit tbh)

If your not clipping, your likely doing it wrong dude.
You keep getting louder until it clips or distorts. If it dosent clip or distort and your amp is on MAX volume then it's another story mabey.

Listen only for DISTORTION or clipping.

less on the quality of the audio eg the blacks and so on.
Listen only for DISTORTION or clipping.
Turn the volume pots till it clips or distorts or until you run out of volume/gain.

Don't try again at the same volume. Go LOUDER. As loud as you can.

The objective is to see if you can cause the dac or amp to distort or clip.
It's basically loading your gear up to it's maximum possible output.

But most headphone amps have protection so you shouldn't fry anything. And you are listening for the distortion or clip. Once you hit it, you back off.
Lolz. Right back at u, bro.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #4,412 of 6,001
So you aren't even doing the full unfolding?
From what I understand according to the dev (Jussi), HQP upscales better than a full unfold as long as Roon core is enabled to do the first unfold.

I am no expert, still learning.. but I read HQP should always be -3db for intersample overs so Evan is already introducing them by not implementing that for whatever reason.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #4,413 of 6,001
From what I understand according to the dev (Jussi), HQP upscales better than a full unfold as long as Roon core is enabled to do the first unfold.

I am no expert, still learning.. but I read HQP should always be -3db for intersample overs so Evan is already introducing them by not implementing that for whatever reason.
Regardless, you will never understand the minds of the ultimate golden ears and his ultra optimized chains

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #4,414 of 6,001

Clipping on intersample overs are easy to detect. It'll simply clip. So we can just disregard those areas. Many tracks won't clip. Anyways on the tracks I've been using, 0dbfs has the most transparency, -3dBfs is very veiled in comparison. It's enough to not deal with that whole system on top of the off timbre and flat soundstage of HQplayer. Other people in my circle has verified this veiled sound as well and opted for no filter when using HQplayer.

As for hqplayer and it's mqa filter...eh, it's okay but I was using a m500 at the time which wasnt developed properly since it doesn't disable it's filters after mqa decoding. These factors led to having poor mqa SQ performance. But I revisted it again ofc and did the pre-render approach and....no. with that said, there is an issue on mqa dac implementation. I can only trust IFI and it's BB chips in mqa decoding in the budget dac realm. Smsl, topping had really poor implementation. Other DACs with ESS + MQA doesn't sound great either. I haven't heard the pro ESS that has mqa built in the chip yet. Chord Hugo 2 and Dave does a much better job than them. So waiting for a new flagship Singxer that will have mqa to revisit it.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #4,415 of 6,001
You ever notice that when we talk about music, no arguing ever happens?

It's almost as if our opinions on what we like are *gasp* treated with respect and as a matter of taste
Also you can't judge as well(not you just in general). If someone doesn't like how a violin sounds and gives it bad rating well that says nothing as I don't know how much a instrument should actually sound. Bass heads don't listen the same more does the headphone or speakers tickle my ear. I stopped caring about reviews and listen for myself. Same thing for people who say they can not hear a difference with DACs.
Myself can not hear cables being better than aftermarket.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #4,416 of 6,001
Also you can't judge as well(not you just in general). If someone doesn't like how a violin sounds and gives it bad rating well that says nothing as I don't know how much a instrument should actually sound. Bass heads don't listen the same more does the headphone or speakers tickle my ear. I stopped caring about reviews and listen for myself. Same thing for people who say they can not hear a difference with DACs.
Myself can not hear cables being better than aftermarket.
I read opinions and reviews of multiple people to get a general overview. Not because person x says it's good so I will like it by default.

Amps n DACs I'm too poor to have multiples. I just like a clear sound with nothing added or removed. If I wanted changes I'd add eq, not another $$$ amp.

As for cables I don't listen for a difference, I FEEL for a difference.

But to each their own. Some of the more wild people can give us some amazing entertainment 😜

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #4,417 of 6,001
Amp is tone of tubes that catch my attention but listening on the Naim(model?) I was surprised at how quickly the Stealth grabbed me. I was hesitant to ever think of buying them so now I need to rob a bank lol.

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #4,418 of 6,001
Lolz. Right back at u, bro.
That's a difficult thing to try I've yet to hit that on my Susvara or my DCAS and that's on a Oor. It's hard to hit that on some headphones without down right destroying them (I'm looking at you Susvara and the people running multiple speaker amps into a single source.) The DCAS is close to this as well. I've still yet to discern which of the two I prefer more their both incredible headphones that are very close to one another in signature the biggest differences being the bass and sound stage which still aren't worlds apart from one another. I can pick things a part easier on the DCAS, I'm still surprised how spatially accurate this thing is for a closed back. At times it scares me how much it reminds me of my Arya V2 before I sold it terms of spatial accuracy.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #4,419 of 6,001
That's a difficult thing to try I've yet to hit that on my Susvara or my DCAS and that's on a Oor. It's hard to hit that on some headphones without down right destroying them (I'm looking at you Susvara and the people running multiple speaker amps into a single source.) The DCAS is close to this as well. I've still yet to discern which of the two I prefer more their both incredible headphones that are very close to one another in signature the biggest differences being the bass and sound stage which still aren't worlds apart from one another. I can pick things a part easier on the DCAS, I'm still surprised how spatially accurate this thing is for a closed back. At times it scares me how much it reminds me of my Arya V2 before I sold it terms of spatial accuracy.
That is correct. This is related to a very protracted discussion where my point is these seemingly 'hard to drive' HP and 'early clipping' of amp is mostly due to a poor digital chain. Poor blacks makes for a seemingly hard HP to drive. Early clipping is due to poor digital chain that has poor transients...not a lack of power. That's why Curra's claims of clipping on the tt2 but not on the audio -gd is not correct. And this proof of concept where you have to crank till distortion hits by coffee guy is even worse. Imagine the headroom that speaker amps give and having a transient be played back fully. Instead of clipping, the HP will receive the full signal...and ppl complain about Susvara's QC.

My amp is 400mw and it doesn't clip at all. Lolz.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #4,420 of 6,001
The last pages seem like this 🤣

645F2E0B-0C66-4699-A715-81A3CA17EBE0.gif

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #4,421 of 6,001
That is correct. This is related to a very protracted discussion where my point is these seemingly 'hard to drive' HP and 'early clipping' of amp is mostly due to a poor digital chain. Poor blacks makes for a seemingly hard HP to drive. Early clipping is due to poor digital chain that has poor transients...not a lack of power. That's why Curra's claims of clipping on the tt2 but not on the audio -gd is not correct. And this proof of concept where you have to crank till distortion hits by coffee guy is even worse. Imagine the headroom that speaker amps give and having a transient be played back fully. Instead of clipping, the HP will receive the full signal...and ppl complain about Susvara's QC.

My amp is 400mw and it doesn't clip at all. Lolz.

Lol don't drag me back into your fantasy land dude.

Go enjoy your superior quality BT in peace please

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4,422 of 6,001
Oh, OK. You were asking about the Stealth vs Susvara some time ago. So you went for the Stealth (I guess you already had the Susvara).

Jul 10, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #4,423 of 6,001
Amp is tone of tubes that catch my attention but listening on the Naim(model?) I was surprised at how quickly the Stealth grabbed me. I was hesitant to ever think of buying them so now I need to rob a bank lol.
And that is coming from a bass head?

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #4,424 of 6,001
@Currawong

What I'd be interested to know....when you listen to the Stealth on the M17 in DC mode...where are you approximately on the volume scale?

NOMAX

PS.i am most of the time at 90.....Some tracks if not many at 95

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #4,425 of 6,001
@Currawong

What I'd be interested to know....when you listen to the Stealth on the M17 in DC mode...where are you approximately on the volume scale?

NOMAX

PS.i am most of the time at 90.....Some tracks if not many at 95
I just put on Glen Hansard - Roll On Slow and I'm listening at 74. Brad Mehldau's Jacob's Ladder album at 85.
90-95 would be too loud for me, unless I'm listening to something like a quieter classical album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back