Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 5, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #4,353 of 5,994
we in Europe have a different preference
Wait until the next G7/NATO summit where the incompetent EU politicians will happily accept to impose US president's listening preferences to the European citizens. Especially in case of Biden that will not work so well. :p

Political joke but just couldn't hold myself. I am not a European, though.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #4,359 of 5,994
You got it the other way around....
He said it correctly. Headphones which measure flat and speakers which measure flat don't sound the same because headphones are coupled to your head.

Even though the line may look flat, the lower-mids in speakers sound de-emphasized while the lower-mids in headphones sound emphasized.
Conversely, the upper-mids in speakers sound emphasized whereas the upper-mids in headphones sound de-emphasized.

This is why headphones need to have a boost in the upper-mids and a suckout in the lower-mids to sound like a pair of flat-measuring speakers.

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #4,360 of 5,994
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #4,362 of 5,994

I was the one who shared that here...

And wow on this talk by Dan!!! What a gift this talk is
I have nothing to explain to Dan as he is correct while you are wrong.

which is what Harman tries to emulate, sounds a bit mid-bass sucked-out from headphones.
Screenshot_20220705-182930.jpgScreenshot_20220705-182802.jpg
The mid-bass is not as suck out as you claimed, but a bump.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #4,364 of 5,994
I was the one who shared that here...

I have nothing to explain to Dan as he is correct while you are wrong.

Screenshot_20220705-182930.jpgScreenshot_20220705-182802.jpg
The mid-bass is not as suck out as you claimed, but a bump.
That graph from ASR is not an industry standard. It's just something nice to look at. 60hz and down is usually referred to as sub-bass. 60hz to 200hz is usually referred to as mid-bass. 200hz to 500hz is usually referred to as the lower-midrange. Crinacle's labels are much more in line with the common usage of the terms.

Actually, if you watch the entire video Dan will explain that the reason he added that bump in the bottom end of the Stealth was because he found the stock Harman curve to be a bit lacking in body and slam. He then goes into which areas of the frequency response he found to be associated with body and slam.

When you look at the Harman curve on its own it seems like the mid-bass is boosted over the lower-mids. However, when you compare the Harman Curve to the straight line that most planar headphones are aiming for you will see that the mid-bass actually isn't boosted over them. It dips down beneath them between 100hz and 150hz.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back