Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #4,336 of 5,996
I totally agree with Harman Target about the right side of the Freuquency Response....but about the left side...this could be a little less

NOMAX

PS.as european
Left side, I had issues with for months but that all extended and opened up with better cables and psu quality and dedicated mains. Initially I thought I may have to adjust to this but after upgrades, it's a super balanced sound with zero emphasis anywhere.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #4,337 of 5,996
Fair to assume you had the fitting wrong on the Stealth
🤔 worth reconsidering.
I totally agree with Harman Target about the right side of the Freuquency Response....but about the left side...this could be a little less

NOMAX

PS.as european 😎
So to your ears HE1 and Stealth have generally the similar tonality and frequency response?

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4,338 of 5,996
Ironically people are going gaga over a 200usd convolution file that makes the lcd 5 sound closer to the Stealth and slightly towards Harman...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Who said it sounds like Stealth? Did you try it?

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #4,339 of 5,996
I've tried the lcd5 ..you can find my review there. I said lcd5 is like the Stealth on a certain chain but still lacks soundstage, bottom extension and bass quantity. The way ppl are gushing over the 200usd convolution filter sounds like it just went towards Stealth territory. Lol.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #4,340 of 5,996
What I still don't understand is that people still think that a dac or headphone cable will change the sound quality.
These are only very small minimal changes
Ultimately, but also this crazy industry lives on the fact that some still believe in it...the question is how long still 😉
My common sense tells me for over 20 years the same....that ultimately the transducer with its tonality has the last word

NOMAX

PS.and the transducer of my marble stone rule them all and i need not a DCS Lina etc etc for it 🤪

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #4,341 of 5,996
What I still don't understand is that people still think that a dac or headphone cable will change the sound quality.
These are only very small minimal changes
Ultimately, but also this crazy industry lives on the fact that some still believe in it...the question is how long still 😉
My common sense tells me for over 20 years the same....that ultimately the transducer with its tonality has the last word

NOMAX
Yet you had issues on the left side like I did. And I was able to solve it via cable and psu upgrades.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #4,342 of 5,996
I've tried the lcd5 ..you can find my review there. I said lcd5 is like the Stealth on a certain chain but still lacks soundstage, bottom extension and bass quantity. The way ppl are gushing over the 200usd convolution filter sounds like it just went towards Stealth territory. Lol.

Oh, I see. Let me know when you try the filter so what you said makes sense instead of making stuff up. Lol.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #4,343 of 5,996
worth reconsidering
Take into account that not a lot of people fancy the Stealth. And how most heard it in a hifi show. Then add the fact it's a very low distortion HP that exposes the weakness of the chain upstream. I can make it sound like crap just by swapping out my usb chain to a basic one. It sounded harsh when I tried one brand of rca sockets and plugs. But I didn't blame the Stealth, rather I just refined my chain and entered reference bliss.

Jul 5, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #4,344 of 5,996
I have no problems/issues...I just said it could be a little less on the left side...we in Europe have a different preference

NOMAX

PS.and the Stealth fits most of my preferences and also my Utopia in his own way

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #4,345 of 5,996
Oh, I see. Let me know when you try the filter so what you said makes sense instead of making stuff up. Lol.
I wouldn't buy a 200usd filter when it's only tuned to a specific chain....the chain of the one who made it. The lcd5 sounded different in all different chain configurations so how the heck do I know which the filter is closely configured to. Lolzzzz.

Then we go back to the Stealth, where I know it's reference. When I heard sound issues, I fix the chain, I don't criticize the HP.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #4,346 of 5,996
..I just said it could be a little less on the left side...we in Europe have a different preference
Again... initially I found it too much but just went with it coz maybe that's how the albums was intended to sound like and maybe open cans were just leaking those frequencies too much. But further upgrades opened up the lower end and it sounds less boosted and less closed, which is towards the preference you speak of on behalf of your continent.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #4,347 of 5,996
Anyone have both a stealth and Sony Z1R ? My question is how comparable is the isolation of the Z1R compared to the stealth ?

The isolation is definitely one of stealth great strengths, I'm just curious what other closed back is comparable to it in this regard ? TH900 is basically an open back comparatively, IMO.
The Z1R used to be my favourite “closed-back” before the Stealth. But honestly, even the HD820 isolates more than the Z1R. I think it’s mainly due to the materials used in the cups. It definitely acts more like a semi-closed set of cans rather than the Stealth’s acoustic chamber like isolation. Sound wise though, the Z1R is definitely the more “coloured” and more “fun” of the two. I haven’t owned them yet but I’ve spent countless hours listening to them and comparing them. And I want to get the Stealth first when my finances allow for it.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #4,348 of 5,996
I have no problems/issues...I just said it could be a little less on the left side...we in Europe have a different preference

NOMAX

PS.and the Stealth fits most of my preferences and also my Utopia in his own way

Yes, the left side of Harman target sometimes leads to a little too muddy low frequencies. Applying some little PEQ, can help to find a target in between flat and Harman.
As Harman target seems to be more or less the taste of 60% of the people, I would say that this target is not an issue and the Stealth still can be a very good reference to compare with other Headphones or even IEM.

Basically, the strange thing is that when we start an A/B comparison, we frequently prefer first some emphasis on low frequencies (maybe due to the fact we were missing this for decades)... but, after a while of enjoying music, I really prefer a headphone which offers some real details in the low frequency range more than some rumble => I would say the DCA Stealth manage it, and can even with some little PEQ, go further for some more details (50hz to 300hz).

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #4,350 of 5,996
I think the reason you prefer Stealth is it’s scooped out lower mid and upper and mid bass frequency response. This will make the treble more prominent and you get that fake sense of space and resolution - some people may be impressed by this short term but I believe Stealth is ultimately a one night stand and not something you can br married to for a decade.

This just isn't correct and not representative in any measurement or reflected by most other impressions. The frequency response of the headphone follows what statistically most people will prefer or can easily do minor EQ adjustments to for desired preferences in some frequencies.

(NB: The italicised section above is a quote from chesebert.)

I think that there is some confusion as to what is "flat" in typical headphone measurements. It's worth watching that CanJam presentation Dan did, as he clarifies it well. With headphones, what is typically "flat" through from 20 Hz to 1 kHz, would come across as having a mid-bass hump if it were from speakers. What is typically "flat" with speakers, which is what Harman tries to emulate, sounds a bit mid-bass sucked-out from headphones.

I don’t like the Harmon curve - modified Harmon perhaps but not as is. Could be the reason.

I reckon so. I prefer an FR more in the direction of the LCD-X/-R/-4 for preference myself. I don't like EQ'ing though, because I can hear the loss of detail too easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back