Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 23, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #406 of 6,033
Just tell them what everyone else is saying here “ They’re just gaming headphones”. The issue is self-resolving.
Much easier with Abyss 1266. I tell people those are extensions on my braces.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #407 of 6,033
Tbh, its kind of annoying cause flashy = I have to explain and give demos to coworkers who I then lie about cost to. Not a single person asked a single question about diana v2. I genuinely almost kept them specificaly because no one asked questions
Nobody wanted to insult your taste by asking why your headphones are so ugly.:grimacing:
Sorry, really don't mean to be rude, I just really don't like how they look, especially the coffee version. If a coworker was wearing these, I'd talk to them only because they are probably one of us dorks.

Ironically the latest GPU I bought from EVGA changed some of the red trimming to black after people complaining about it.
They even offered to ship a replacement for free, did that work out?

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #408 of 6,033
Just tell them what everyone else is saying here “ They’re just gaming headphones”. The issue is self-resolving.

And then Covid is your buddy here, tell them keep their germ-ridden paws off lol.

That seals already been broken. People now know any new HP on my desk = something fancy. They just think they cap out at $600....

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #409 of 6,033
Nobody wanted to insult your taste by asking why your headphones are so ugly.:grimacing:
Sorry, really don't mean to be rude, I just really don't like how they look, especially the coffee version. If a coworker was wearing these, I'd talk to them only because they are probably one of us dorks.

I never thought the diana looked good, until I saw them in person. I think they are awsome, just waaay over priced.

Yes, in fact I switched out my red trimming for black since they offered a replacement.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #410 of 6,033
I had held mum on this note, because I am almost certainly an outlier here, but I have a very nice fully decked out, fully reclinable XL “gaming” chair in the office that is red and black, with a PC built with the pinnacle of nvidia gaming tech, lit in red, with a pc monitor that also tops the charts Under lit with red. Red backlit keyboard as well. Now this GORGEOUS headphone comes out with what I will call subtle (compared to my personal office flare) red and black and I’m all in lol.

It will indeed be used primarily for gaming, but with more than a few strategy games that get their sound turned off, with the PC tidal feeding my hifi rig and in sonic Nirvana the whole time. Currently floating on the ether CX cloud (basically the Apogee of possible gaming headsets) awaiting this stealth masterpiece to elevate even that.

when people say it looks like a gaming headset I just smile inside because to me that’s EXACTLY what it looks like and I’m drooling.

**On an important side note, just how problematic is the red stitching when it’s touching your head and you are laid back fully in your chair, with your eyes shut in audible bliss?
I mean, I suppose it's possible that you - and people with your shared interests and background - would be the intended market for this headphone....would certainly explain the design language.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #411 of 6,033

ROFL

I mean, they look normal and non-descript on someone's head. They stand out no more than a hyper X a bunch of coworkers use for calls. Any antenna headband stuff = comments. Wood = demos. Raals may mean I dont get to work for 2 days while people demo.....

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #412 of 6,033
I did extensive listening between Diana’s both versions and the 1266 phi tc and even though the TC is way different, the Diana’s ear cups feel just…. Wrong. Like odd shaped misfitting cups with plastic shopping bag insides.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #413 of 6,033
So I have been asking my wife to guesstimate how "good" headphones are, based on their design. I noticed that she mainly looks at how premium the headphone looks, and with that judges the price. I asked her what she thinks about the stitched pads, and for her, it definitely reduces the price. She said it looks like "one of those gaming chairs".

hahaha... yes, it really kind of does... it is a strange choice for "stealth" branding, that's for sure.. nothing subtle about it :smirk:

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #414 of 6,033
Image from iOS (10).jpg

Stealth demo just arrived at the office! The leather box is gorgeous and a nice step up on the packaging.

Right out of the box these are definitely contenders for the comfiest closed-back flagship.

@Resolve should have first impressions up tomorrow hopefully!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 23, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #415 of 6,033
So I have been asking my wife to guesstimate how "good" headphones are, based on their design. I noticed that she mainly looks at how premium the headphone looks, and with that judges the price. I asked her what she thinks about the stitched pads, and for her, it definitely reduces the price. She said it looks like "one of those gaming chairs".
Time to buy her a real car like Audi RS... than she will have better associations.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #416 of 6,033
That can be gamed, too. You could use a debit card with just enough money on it for the price minus the discount, and then when DCA tries to charge the discount, they can't.
But along those line I think he could charge the full amount, and automatically credit back the discount once the return period for the initiating headphone has expired unused. One would hope that most people buying a $4000 pair of headphones would be able to deal with having to wait to get the discount back.

But I think it's totally fine this way, this is meant for existing customers anyway, so 30 days shouldn't matter for most of the intended audience.
DCA wouldn't be actively charging the customer anything. They would simply not be giving as much (or any) credit back for the returned headphone. If someone buys a $700 headphone in order to save $600 on a Stealth, upon returning the $700 cans, they'd be credited $100. If they buy $500 cans, then DCA could theoretically be out $100, but it seems unlikely the customer would (potentially) sever their relationship with DCA over that amount of money.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #417 of 6,033
I did extensive listening between Diana’s both versions and the 1266 phi tc and even though the TC is way different, the Diana’s ear cups feel just…. Wrong. Like odd shaped misfitting cups with plastic shopping bag insides.

It took dms pads to fix fit fot me. Quite uncomfortable without but 8 hour days were no issues with

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #419 of 6,033
I mean, I suppose it's possible that you - and people with your shared interests and background - would be the intended market for this headphone....would certainly explain the design language.
Not sure, but as a stand-alone headphone the drop ether cX for the money is considered S tier for gaming based on imaging and technicality in clarity. SS is much less sought and closed cans are heavily dominant in gaming.

as it seems the Stealth may improve all of these while reducing in cup resonance and improving SS…. Definitely a winner but I guarantee you gamers won’t buy this price point just for gaming. Even I would stick with my CX if I wasn’t free falling down the on ear audiophile rabbit hole.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #420 of 6,033
That seals already been broken. People now know any new HP on my desk = something fancy. They just think they cap out at $600....
Good thing they don't care enough to fire up the Google machine.. not exactly hard to find pricing for "Abyss headphones" lol.. or for any of these non-mass market headphones, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back