Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Apr 7, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #3,647 of 6,033
One thing I noticed is that the Stealth sounds very different from my memory of the AEON, which was more muffled. The Stealth is completely unlike that.

I think it comes down to how we perceive treble being different, sometimes radically so. Also how much clamping force is exerted, affecting the bass. Likewise, if you're used to a very bass-strong headphone, you will initially find the Stealth to be thin-sounding.

My good ol' non-audiophile friend came around and I videoed his impressions over 2 hours of listening and chatting, and it was apparent how much better the M17 was than the N8ii with the Stealth. Of course, we mustn't forget that this was in DC mode, so it wasn't really a comparison of DAPs in the purest sense. More so though is how the Stealth reveals everything about upstream components, so you're really hearing them, and less so the headphones than usual.

O I know you have Ether C, was the Stealth and Ether C similar in tonality? or was it more related to the Ether 2, I love Ether C but HATED ether 2.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,648 of 6,033
One thing I noticed is that the Stealth sounds very different from my memory of the AEON, which was more muffled. The Stealth is completely unlike that.

I think it comes down to how we perceive treble being different, sometimes radically so. Also how much clamping force is exerted, affecting the bass. Likewise, if you're used to a very bass-strong headphone, you will initially find the Stealth to be thin-sounding.

My good ol' non-audiophile friend came around and I videoed his impressions over 2 hours of listening and chatting, and it was apparent how much better the M17 was than the N8ii with the Stealth. Of course, we mustn't forget that this was in DC mode, so it wasn't really a comparison of DAPs in the purest sense. More so though is how the Stealth reveals everything about upstream components, so you're really hearing them, and less so the headphones than usual.

The Aeon Noire has not much similarities with Stealh when you look the presentation as a whole
All is much bigger...clearer...faster..and the greatest strenght the seperation between instruments (melody) and the voices
Perhabs you have the chance to try the Stealth with the CMA 15

NOMAX

PS.unbelievable this combo to my ears......I prefer these over my TT2
Dan Clarks Flagship has for me the fewest weaknesses from all Headphones that i know....and i know all very well on the market😉

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #3,649 of 6,033
In my opinion, the K9 Pro (ESS version) does not do the DCA Stealth justice. I was very excited about it as a new benchmark in value/performance, but it sounds congested for lack of a better word. No space between the instruments, narrow stage, hard to separate layers. I went back to my RME Babyface Pro FS into the Singxer SA-1 and there's better synergy here for some reason, even with the lesser capable DAC. The RME interface does put out +19dbu, much hotter than most consumer level outputs - maybe that's helping the Singxer SA-1 drive the Stealth better. I have it on low gain and there's plenty of headroom. Volume is set to max on the amp and I'm controlling input level from the RME for volume.

I would take this with a grain of salt though because I've been having a stressful week and that does effect listening impressions in my experience. I would love to hear anyone else who might have tried the K9 Pro (ESS).

For anyone wondering, I recently sold my TT2 to get funds for an LCD 5. I'll probably end up selling one of the three headphones I'll have to purchase a better DAC/Amp in the near future. The Stealth was constantly impressive from the TT2 for me.

@Nomax you really recommend the CMA 15 as best pairing for Stealth? I'm considering it. How does it do with LCD 5 and Abyss, have you tried those by any chance from it?

20220407_184525.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #3,651 of 6,033
@ra990 Have you ever punched in oratory1990 EQ on your ether 2 and compared it to the stealth ?
Nope, it's been a long time since I had the Ether 2, but I don't remember it having much in common with the Stealth. They had this textured bass thru midrange that I found very enjoyable.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #3,652 of 6,033
@ra990 Have you ever punched in oratory1990 EQ on your ether 2 and compared it to the stealth ?
Ether 2 was very different from Stealth.
It was some time ago but from memory it was darker/muddier more creamy sounding.
Ether2 reminded me original meze empyrean at least tonality wise - but with a tad better vocals (more natural sounding, not so thick).

Unfortunately it was some time ago and I didn't try eq them.

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #3,653 of 6,033
In my opinion, the K9 Pro (ESS version) does not do the DCA Stealth justice. I was very excited about it as a new benchmark in value/performance, but it sounds congested for lack of a better word. No space between the instruments, narrow stage, hard to separate layers. I went back to my RME Babyface Pro FS into the Singxer SA-1 and there's better synergy here for some reason, even with the lesser capable DAC. The RME interface does put out +19dbu, much hotter than most consumer level outputs - maybe that's helping the Singxer SA-1 drive the Stealth better. I have it on low gain and there's plenty of headroom. Volume is set to max on the amp and I'm controlling input level from the RME for volume.

I would take this with a grain of salt though because I've been having a stressful week and that does effect listening impressions in my experience. I would love to hear anyone else who might have tried the K9 Pro (ESS).

For anyone wondering, I recently sold my TT2 to get funds for an LCD 5. I'll probably end up selling one of the three headphones I'll have to purchase a better DAC/Amp in the near future. The Stealth was constantly impressive from the TT2 for me.

@Nomax you really recommend the CMA 15 as best pairing for Stealth? I'm considering it. How does it do with LCD 5 and Abyss, have you tried those by any chance from it?

I thought so that your impressions are the same as mine with the ESS Version from K9 Pro (to lean/no body)

There is a reason why i was saying....try K9 PRO AKM 😉

NOMAX

PS.about the CMA 15.....this DAC/AMP has not this typical ESS Sound
This Amp combined full body in the low end with sparkle/shine/airness...no harsh or sibilant
And this body is not so much as this from the CMA Master 12 which has not the sparkle/airness

My Concluison about the Questyles

The Master 12 has to much in the lows and to less in the highs for stealth 👎 (combined with stealth...for real Bass Heads 🤣)
The CMA 15 has great body in the low end,bit more as K9 Pro AKM (atypical for an ESS DAC AMP...it seems the current mode amplification makes a great job) and with sparkle/airness.....for the stealth 👍

I think there is only one way for LCD 5 that sounds more correct,EQ..and i am not a friend of it to solve with EQ what is missing in the tonality...and this model (❗for 5000 Euros❗) is missing a lot 😉

Compare side by side..stealth vs lcd 5 with the same track and same volume and tell me which one is more inviting?
Then i am sure you need not to long time for that to find it out which one 👍

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #3,655 of 6,033
Using EQ to fix high-end headphones is kinda funny.
I'm not paying extra and then trying to fix it. Headphone tonality should fit my taste from the start.
Although I am a strong EQ and DSP supporter, I do agree with the idea that a super expensive HP should prove that the developers have worked on making a clean, low distortion and agreeable tuning, not just have thrown in drivers in a nice looking box and called it a high end HP. It is a difficult to achieve thing, that only a few HPs manage, with Stealth being one if them. Just the bass punch and exaggerated air frequencies might strike with a wow effect initially, but that will fade away once ears gain more experience.

Apr 8, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #3,656 of 6,033
Using EQ to fix high-end headphones is kinda funny.
I'm not paying extra and then trying to fix it. Headphone tonality should fit my taste from the start.

In any case....in the highest price segment the tonality should be more correct and fit your ears 👍

NOMAX

PS.and we have to many that makes not a good job....but it does not matter....you can solve it with EQ 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #3,657 of 6,033
In any case....in the highest price segment the tonality should be more correct and fit your ears 👍

NOMAX

PS.and we have to many that makes not a good job....but it does not matter....you can solve it with EQ 🤣
You forgot one think our hearing from 3Khz is not the same and in the end no manufacture can make the best headphone for all humans.
Now I hope X9000 will better suited for my hearing and I only help with a bass shelf when needed.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #3,658 of 6,033
LOL
Yes, that's a problem. You have to choose from treble or/and upper midrange been subdued or extra boosted. There aren't many headphones that can offer balanced approach.
I can live with deficient bass. But i cannot with subdued or extra boosted treble. I'm always missing something and whole presentation collapses.
Or if the treble is boosted my ears bleed out.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #3,660 of 6,033
@alxw0w

With the right amplification.....the stealth can also really show his strenght in the lows 👍

NOMAX

PS.without reflections inside the Cups 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back