Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Apr 4, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,617 of 6,001
I feel like the Stealth's capabilities are really a jump forward. To me, its clear that these have left the last generation of planar magnetics behind when it comes to detail, resolution, staging, and it does it in the most natural way possible. Nothing is shoved into your face, it's all there and up to you to focus on what you want. Where ever your mind wants to wander into the music, it reveals what's there. After about a few minutes of listening, my brain adapts to it and I'm in the mix itself being able to pick it apart. Of course other TOTL planars have that capability, but this seems like a noticeable improvement to me over those.

LCD 5 is the one of the only other TOTL planar that I haven't tried and I'm hoping it's a bit more like the Stealth. Most of the reviewers I trust have really piqued my interest in it. I'm going to see what detail and resolution is like on those and see if it's anything like the Stealth.

I still find it interesting how there are these two polarized camps on this headphone. Almost like we have something in our ears that lets us hear the Stealth's capabilities way more than others who seem to find very little appealing about them.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #3,618 of 6,001
I feel like the Stealth's capabilities are really a jump forward. To me, its clear that these have left the last generation of planar magnetics behind when it comes to detail, resolution, staging, and it does it in the most natural way possible. Nothing is shoved into your face, it's all there and up to you to focus on what you want. Where ever your mind wants to wander into the music, it reveals what's there. After about a few minutes of listening, my brain adapts to it and I'm in the mix itself being able to pick it apart. Of course other TOTL planars have that capability, but this seems like a noticeable improvement to me over those.

LCD 5 is the one of the only other TOTL planar that I haven't tried and I'm hoping it's a bit more like the Stealth. Most of the reviewers I trust have really piqued my interest in it. I'm going to see what detail and resolution is like on those and see if it's anything like the Stealth.

I still find it interesting how there are these two polarized camps on this headphone. Almost like we have something in our ears that lets us hear the Stealth's capabilities way more than others who seem to find very little appealing about them.
I found the Stealth to be a very detailed listen, almost hyper-detailed. As I've said repeatedly here, I just found the bass lacking in quantity and impact, which probably accentuated that perception. The staging/imaging is also quite impressive, the best I can recall hearing on a closed back can. All that said, I simply can't agree that the Stealth's resolution or staging leaves other TOTL planars behind. Apparently a lot of listeners agree with me, but if you (and others) hear it that way, that's great.

You really should check out the Stax SR-X9000 if you want to hear resolution and staging that surpasses planars. IMHO.

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #3,619 of 6,001

its like that with every headphone on this forum though...people will hype it up, then the euphoria comes with new headphone, then the drugs die off...onto the next high...aka headset. Every new headset "this is the best headset since my last headset" lol.

Apr 5, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #3,620 of 6,001
its like that with every headphone on this forum though...people will hype it up, then the euphoria comes with new headphone, then the drugs die off...onto the next high...aka headset. Every new headset "this is the best headset since my last headset" lol.
There's definitely evidence of this on every thread. And I admit to having an addiction to trying new headphones and gear. However, my honeymoon period doesn't usually last this long. By this time, I have usually decided if I'm going to sell or keep the headphone.

Even the ones I keep though, I rarely keep anything for over a year because I tend to get bored of things easily. I also don't have an unlimited budget, so for me to try something new means something old has to go to pay for it.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #3,621 of 6,001
After testing the Stealth with twenty three different Dac/Amps in the last weeks between 500 and 5000 Usd

Here are my personal top three ranking

1.QUESTYLE CMA 15
2.Fii K9 Pro AKM (ESS Version to much lean...no body)
3.Chord TT2 (my favourite Amp and my Number one for my Utopia but with the Stealth only on the third place)

There is only one DAP on the Market which can drive the Stealth satisfactory (not more)..but only in the DC Mode...the M17

NOMAX

PS.and all others to my ears.......failed

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #3,622 of 6,001
After testing the Stealth with twenty three different Dac/Amps in the last weeks between 500 and 5000 Usd

1.QUESTYLE CMA 15
2.Fii K9 Pro (Akm Version)
3.Chord TT2

There is only one DAP on the Market that can drive the Stealth satisfactory (not more)..but only in the DC Mode...the M17

NOMAX

PS.lol
I'm using the K9 Pro ESS version, which is missing some of the magic I had in the TT2. I'm still playing around with it, trying all the inputs, etc. Also just got it, so maybe a couple days of equipment and brain burn in are in order.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,623 of 6,001
Try the AKM Version...much more body (Magic) 😉

Its very easy to hear with the Stealth the different between ESS and AKM

NOMAX

PS.and if you want both....from the ESS (the Resolution) and AKM (the Body)....the CMA 15 with his current amplification provides both 👍

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,624 of 6,001

1.QUESTYLE CMA 15
2.Fii K9 Pro AKM (ESS Version to much lean...no body)
3.Chord TT2 (my favourite Amp and my Number one for my Utopia but with the Stealth only on the third place)

There is only one DAP on the Market which can drive the Stealth satisfactory (not more)..but only in the DC Mode...the M17

NOMAX

PS.and all others to my ears.......failed
That's why I'm out with the Stealth. No Dap can drive it bass is too low. Makes no sense to drive a closed back with my Niimbus.
That's why I go for lcd-5 which sounds amazing out of my M8.

Apr 5, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #3,625 of 6,001
M17 makes a good job for the asking price...and for many ears which want a lean low end it makes a better Job as the K9 ESS

NOMAX

PS.there are some Tracks on my M17 which sounds very pleasant with the Stealth

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #3,627 of 6,001
Try the AKM Version...much more body (Magic) 😉

Its very easy to hear with the Stealth the different between ESS and AKM

NOMAX

PS.and if you want both....from the ESS (the Resolution) and AKM (the Body)....the CMA 15 with his current amplification provides both 👍
On the K9 Pro, which input do you prefer? Have you noticed any difference between toslink and USB?

Also, do you have any experience with the LCD 5?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #3,629 of 6,001
On the K9 Pro, which input do you prefer? Have you noticed any difference between toslink and USB?

Also, do you have any experience with the LCD 5?
Yes i know it
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...iew-measurements.958938/page-83#post-16870516

NOMAX

PS .I'm nobody to say buy a Headphone for thousands and after that...use an EQ to correct the tonality if you are not satisfied🤣
I will not follow this trend...not yet...and not in the future
(few developer/ acoustician are laughing about that in this price category...and i know many 😉)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,630 of 6,001
I have been using the Stealth paired with a Mojo 2 and I get good volume, but I tend to listen at low volumes so it might not be sufficient for others.

Mojo 2 is able to make them sound great and you can EQ the sound, but somehow I always return to flat.

But in my opinion Mojo 2 is good for portability with the Stealth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back