Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Mar 9, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,231 of 1,907
Well, finally got home where my CRBNs were waiting for me. Been having some trouble with weird static noise/stax fart noises, that once they start even continue if the headphones aren't playing anything just hanging on the stand. I'll keep playing them and hope it sorts itself out with a bit playtime.

IMG_2093 2.JPG

The BHSE in black may look even nicer than in blue (my unit) :). Also, I hope you get things sorted out with a new pair soon.

Mar 10, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #1,233 of 1,907
With all this talk about the He90 & He1 I'm becoming curious about the headamp aristaeus's pairing with the CRBN... probably not enough juice, but wonder what the synergy might be.

I'd guess that it will present a slightly warmer/sweeter midrange, but the bass control/slam wouldn't be to quite the level you'd find with a top-end amp like a BHSE or Carbon. Thoughts, @justin w. ?

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,236 of 1,907
My replacement CRBN have arrived, and I'm thankful in saying that they seem to be working just fine. I definitely think there was something up with my previous pair now. Looking forward to getting some serious listening in now :)
IMG_2111.JPG

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,237 of 1,907
Ok so I've done some listening with the CRBN now with the replacement pair, here are some very initial and subject to change over time impressions.

Initial impression is positive. The build quality is really good, very nice materials and overall feel, very impressed in this area. Pads are sumptuous and deep feeling, though the clamp is stronger than the other electrostats I have here. Not hard enough to be annoying though.

the overall sonic image is smaller than the Shangri-la Sr and similar the SR009S and 007mk2. Front to back (rather than the overall width, or height of the soundstage) feels quite a lot smaller and closed in. Width and height are both good though, decent overall depth. The sound is very sonically dense, not "floaty" or "ethereal."

I think these might be a pair of headphones that impresses more long term rather than sounding initially epic but gets fatiguing over time.

In terms of difficulty to drive I think these might be more similar to the 007mk2 than the 009S or Shangrila Sr (with the SR009S being the easiest out of the four.)

Mar 17, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,239 of 1,907
@ufospls2 you can confirm no e-fart noise at all? That's incredible, can't wait get my replacement.
I sent mine in and am told that they have been repaired, not replaced. Apparently, they have "fixed" them and they are preparing to send them back. I wonder what the real problem with some of these headphones is?

Mar 17, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #1,241 of 1,907
@ufospls2 you can confirm no e-fart noise at all? That's incredible, can't wait get my replacement.

Well, there are still e-fart noises if you break the seal in a quick manner. My pair were making static crackling noises constantly when playing music, and that has been entirely resolved. They are actually usable now, comfortably so (at least thus far.)

If I had to guess, there was maybe a small run of drivers that had problems, in the beginning of december perhaps? My original pair were built in december, the current were built a month later near beginning of January. That is all supposition on my part, however.

The only reason I got a replacement not a repair was because my dealer had another pair in stock, and did a swap as I had just gotten them and they didn't work straight out of the box. If my dealer hadn't had a pair in stock, I would have just sent them to Audeze HQ to be repaired.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #1,242 of 1,907
Well, there are still e-fart noises if you break the seal in a quick manner. My pair were making static crackling noises constantly when playing music, and that has been entirely resolved. They are actually usable now, comfortably so (at least thus far.)

If I had to guess, there was maybe a small run of drivers that had problems, in the beginning of december perhaps? My original pair were built in december, the current were built a month later near beginning of January. That is all supposition on my part, however.

The only reason I got a replacement not a repair was because my dealer had another pair in stock, and did a swap as I had just gotten them and they didn't work straight out of the box. If my dealer hadn't had a pair in stock, I would have just sent them to Audeze HQ to be repaired.
Mine was a December production as well.

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,243 of 1,907
Mine was a December production as well.
To those of you who have had your CRBNs repaired or replaced I'm wondering if the bass is now lessened or diminished in any way as a consequence of fixing the sticking, farting issues? Anyone notice anything different in the sound?

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,244 of 1,907
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #1,245 of 1,907

Users who are viewing this thread

Back