Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Mar 23, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,261 of 1,906

I am curious how the first impressions will last after 3-6 months, both with the X9K and CRBN. I know some people already got second thoughts with both, after a blooming first love. It happens with headphones and many other things. :)

While I liked the X9K at first listening, and I could also tell I could not improve much on their sound with ear pad mods (I won't even try), since the change direction I usually get would work against them. I can imagine what might have caused some disillusion with them: they show all roughness in the audio chain and it takes the best components to "clap together" into the fluid musical experience they are capable of, much more than any modern Stax models (the SR-Omega, SR-Lambda, 007 Mk1 still stand the test of time).

Now I have not heard the CRBN yet, but by your description of the hard memory foam pads and looking at them, my experience with many e-stats and dynamic headphones whispers to me that one might be able to seriously improve the CRBN by using thinner pads (I would estimate about 50% less thickness in the front and 30-50% in the back), even with the same foam, but possibly there are better "sounding" foams as well (hard to say without seeing/hearing them first). I am sure Audeze has put some effort in this, so this is just a hunch.

But it's good they departed from the "Audeze sound" and it's good it has depth. I feel a lot of potential in the CRBN. Eagerly waiting for the CRBN 2 and 3. :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #1,262 of 1,906
I am curious how the first impressions will last after 3-6 months, both with the X9K and CRBN. I know some people already got second thoughts with both, after a blooming first love. It happens with headphones and many other things. :)

While I liked the X9K at first listening, and I could also tell I could not improve much on their sound with ear pad mods (I won't even try), since the change direction I usually get would work against them. I can imagine what might have caused some disillusion with them: they show all roughness in the audio chain and it takes the best components to "clap together" into the fluid musical experience they are capable of, much more than any modern Stax models (the SR-Omega, SR-Lambda, 007 Mk1 still stand the test of time).
The X9K are very good. I’m happy with where they sit among other recent releases

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,263 of 1,906
Received my new CRBN's today. This is a fully-new unit that was made 3-15-22, not a repair.

Happy to report that while they still do sticking/farting noises when pressed - they no longer are so sensitive that they produce the sound while on head/making normal adjustments during wear. Stax units are far less sensitive, but this is an acceptable amount. By memory this unit sounds a little bit clearer than my less set, but bass is not compromised - so perhaps the old ones really were defective.

A few other observations - this unit's marble finish has more white in it, which looks great - the carrying case says "Audeze" on it last one didn't have any labeling. Could be my eyes but I think the headband on the old unit was closer to gray than this one. Appears darker.

I now have two TRUE summit-fi systems in the house

*Joseph Grado hp-1000 "improved upgrade by Joe in 2009" -> Mjolnir Pure Bipolar

*Audeze CRBN > Mjolnir Carbon
Dac: Denafrip Pontus ii

A detailed review of the fight between the two inbound :)

IMG_3869.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,264 of 1,906
This album has a really, really amazing 3D soundstage on the CRBNs. It's like a moving topography map. It's crazy.

wJMVKS1.png

It's metal. The cover is intentionally misleading

Mar 31, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #1,265 of 1,906
I sent my CRBNs for repair and received them back last week. They have managed to greatly reduce the driver sticking and farting sensitivity, and there is noticeable improvement in the overall tone quality. The forward, sometimes shouty mids have been tamed and the bass is tighter. Kudos to Audeze for standing behind their product and the customer. The customer support experience was exceptional.

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,266 of 1,906
Just got the CRBN in. This is the first time that there is an advantage to wearing eyeglasses for headphones. It takes away the stax farting issue given that there is a slight displacement of the earpads away from the face. So, for non-eyeglass wearers...put on a pair of matching sunglasses and you are good to go, and look cool at the same time

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,267 of 1,906
Just got the CRBN in. This is the first time that there is an advantage to wearing eyeglasses for headphones. It takes away the stax farting issue given that there is a slight displacement of the earpads away from the face. So, for non-eyeglass wearers...put on a pair of matching sunglasses and you are good to go, and look cool at the same time
Lol. Downside to this though is that the seal improves bass… whole point of the dilemma

Apr 4, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #1,268 of 1,906
Lol. Downside to this though is that the seal improves bass… whole point of the dilemma
This is true but the breaking of the seal is so slight particularly with a thin eyeglass temple that I don’t think it makes a significant difference in the bass. I am not sure about a thicker temple but thankfully my eyeglass temple is very thin.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #1,269 of 1,906
The CRBN is my favorite headphone release since the SR-007 MK1. It is certainly the most useful new e-stat released in the past 20 years for all genres of music, excelling even with vintage shellac transfers. It does sound strikingly similar to the HE-90. The HE-90 is possibly even less detailed and more diffuse, while being also being more emotive and romantic. However, I'm not really an HE-90 fanboy; I've passed over buying them for myself 5 times in the last 5 years, even for as little as 14K USD with the amp included and a spare set of drivers.

Good thing: the CRBN does essentially the same thing as the HE-90 while being more detailed and having some actual bass. The HE-60, by comparison, is more dynamic and much less diffuse (the HE-60 are HE-90 are not particularly similar in any outstanding way except for the Senn voicing). That said, the HE-90 has an emotive presentation that stands the test of time.

That said: the CRBN is not an e-stat tour-de-force. It is not the most detailed or accurate (transient speed, tonality, transparency) e-stat, and not by a long shot. For that purpose, the SGL SR is unrivalled. The poor marble-embellished HE-1 amp can't keep up with its headphones, which with their 3D-printed ceramic stators are likely, in fact, exquisite, if only they could be properly amped.

On farting: not a single one. I charged them for an hour in the Megatron before listening. A couple of members privately pointed out they also wear glasses when listening, as I do. This is the same behavior as the SR-007 MK1. Without glasses, the leather earpads seal tightly around the face, and the increased pressure difference between the two sides of the stator can cause farting.

On forwardness: this is the least-forward e-stat by a major manufacturer since the SR-007 MK1 and the HE-90.

On amping: this is a surprise, as the CRBN is much harder to drive than the SR-009, and is similar to the SR-007 MK1 in terms of current requirements.

Critical listening kings: X9000/SGL SR
Relaxed listening kings: SR-007 MK1/CRBN

I suspect that the X9000 is a viable mesh stator alternative to the mesh stator SGL SR, but I don't have a pair of the new Stax flagship on hand in order to confirm that for myself.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,270 of 1,906
The CRBN is my favorite headphone release since the SR-007 MK1. It is certainly the most useful new e-stat released in the past 20 years for all genres of music, excelling even with vintage shellac transfers. It does sound strikingly similar to the HE-90. The HE-90 is possibly even less detailed and more diffuse, while being also being more emotive and romantic. However, I'm not really an HE-90 fanboy; I've passed over buying them for myself 5 times in the last 5 years, even for as little as 14K USD with the amp included and a spare set of drivers.

Good thing: the CRBN does essentially the same thing as the HE-90 while being more detailed and having some actual bass. The CRBN blows the HE-60 out of the water on all fronts except for one: the HE-60 is more dynamic and much less diffuse and damped (the HE-60 are HE-90 are not particularly similar in any outstanding way except for the Senn voicing).

That said: the CRBN is not an e-stat tour-de-force. It is not the most detailed or accurate (transient speed, tonality, transparency) e-stat, and not by a long shot. For that purpose, the SGL SR is unrivalled. The poor marble-embellished HE-1 amp can't keep up with its headphones, which with their 3D-printed ceramic stators are likely, in fact, exquisite, if only they could be properly amped.

On farting: not a single one. I charged them for an hour in the Megatron before listening.

On forwardness: this is the least-forward e-stat by a major manufacturer since the SR-007 MK1 and the HE-90.

On amping: this is a surprise, as the CRBN is much harder to drive than the SR-009, and is similar to the SR-007 MK1 in terms of current requirements.

Critical listening king: SGL SR
Relaxed listening kings: SR-007 MK1/CRBN

I suspect that the X9000 is a viable mesh stator alternative to the mesh stator SGL SR, but I don't have a pair of the new Stax flagship in order to confirm that for myself.
Interesting you don’t have any farting , both of my units and the demo I tried at a shop had it.
Do you have any other amps to compare how the megatron does vs something like a BHSE/Carbon with the CRBN? I’m considering tracking one down myself

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,274 of 1,906
Just coupled my CBRNs with my new Malvalve.
Even without amp burn-in they are now better than I thought possible :)

Setup.jpg
Malvalve finally realized the headphones output should be at the front and not at the back!!! That was something always pushed me away from that amp…..

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 8, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #1,275 of 1,906
After a 3 month delay I finally got the opportunity to listen to my new CRBNs. The wait well worth it. These are the end game for me. Best HPs I ever heard. I use a BHSE to drive with an Accuphase DAC and Melco streamer as my source. No need to provide a review, plenty of people have done so. Stax 009 will go up for sale, no need for them.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back