Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
May 15, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #1,291 of 1,894
I listened to my CRBNs all day today. The farting is getting worse the longer I have owned them. Now drivers are getting stuck at times. These are really annoying headphones to own. I might have to get them repaired

May 15, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #1,292 of 1,894
I listened to my CRBNs all day today. The farting is getting worse the longer I have owned them. Now drivers are getting stuck at times. These are really annoying headphones to own. I might have to get them repaired
I had the same issues. I sent them in for repair and when I got them back most of the farting and sticking was gone. I understand they have made revisions to the technology. Some of the upper mid shoutiness was gone as well. For me, the repair was worth the hassle.

May 15, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #1,293 of 1,894
I had the same issues. I sent them in for repair and when I got them back most of the farting and sticking was gone. I understand they have made revisions to the technology. Some of the upper mid shoutiness was gone as well. For me, the repair was worth the hassle.
Thanks for the info. I’m going to contact them first thing Monday

May 15, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #1,294 of 1,894
It probably wasn't fair for the CRBN as the amp has been tweaked for the 009 series with additional capacitors that really bring the 009 into it's full capacity.

When you put the CRBN on the amp, it comes across as too much since the CRBN has been tuned to bring out more of what the additional capacitors add to the Stax.

Hindsight is 20/20 so I can't really give any real insight to the CRBN.
My A-10 gets the latest update later this month. Ray recently had an A-10 come in for repair. As he was working on it he decided to re-evaluate his previous update. With both the CRBN and the SR-X9000 out, he decided to remove the SR-009S tuning and adjust the DC power feeding the amplifier. Now it is just the pure music signal being played. At the same time the voltage output has been increased giving even more headroom.

I can't wait to listen to his latest revision

May 17, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #1,295 of 1,894
Perhaps Audeze needs to do a recall to eliminate the farts.

May 18, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #1,296 of 1,894
Perhaps Audeze needs to do a recall to eliminate the farts.
I sent mine in and the new unit seemed less sensitive at first - but now I’m fairly certain it was just humidity related and it farts about the same as the first set.

Pretty sure the increased pressure from the pads is a trade to provide more low end. So it’s not a defect rather than a balancing of tuning.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #1,298 of 1,894
I actually keep mine plugged in unless I store them away for longer.

I just move slowly when putting them on and everything is fine without farts

May 18, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #1,300 of 1,894
I think (in Ismo style) that this farting thing might be a bit overreacted. Welcome to the world of e-stats (e-farting?) :).
Well, my Stax headphones all farted (if I pressed them, never during music playback), my dogs too (even if I didn't press them), and... well, it's part of life :).

May 18, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,301 of 1,894
I think (in Ismo style) that this farting thing might be a bit overreacted. Welcome to the world of e-stats (e-farting?) :).
Well, my Stax headphones all farted (if I pressed them, never during music playback), my dogs too (even if I didn't press them), and... well, it's part of life :).
My personal issue with the farting was no overreaction. It was so bad that if I merely touched the outer cup they would not only fart, but the diaphragm would get stuck such that I had unplug them from the amp. This didn't just happen some of the time, it happened all of the time with little provocation. When I sent them back, Audeze fixed them, acknowledging that they had made certain improvements to the technology. They do not show these problems now. As far as other estats go, I have both the 007mk2 and the x9000. Not once I have I had any issues with these headphones making noises or getting stuck. I am very careful with them, but I was also careful with the CRBNs and I still had issues. The constant interruptions with the CRBNs made any listening session unpleasant. Maybe it was my particular pair that had the problems, but, believe me, it was real.

May 18, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #1,303 of 1,894
Audeze basically told me my farts and diaphragm issue were the result of user error :deadhorse:

They did not seem to care that the issues have been getting worse over time.

Their main suggestion was to not plug the headphones in until they are on my head and the amp is on. Of course woo audio says to plug the headphones in before turning the amp on. Who to listen to? :deadhorse:

May 18, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,304 of 1,894
Audeze basically told me my farts and diaphragm issue were the result of user error :deadhorse:

They did not seem to care that the issues have been getting worse over time.

Their main suggestion was to not plug the headphones in until they are on my head and the amp is on. Of course woo audio says to plug the headphones in before turning the amp on. Who to listen to? :deadhorse:

Audeze is in the right here because you want the amp to power up (assuming it's tube).
So you should ideally, put on the amp a little bit before you're going to listen - then put the headphone on your head and get a proper seal. Set the volume to 0, then plug them in.
After, you turn off the amp first, then unplug, de-charge using your palm, then place the foam on, then take off the head.

As I said in my review - this headphone is akin to single-razor shaving, vinyl or using a typewriter. All of which have their own fanbase.

May 18, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,305 of 1,894
Audeze is in the right here because you want the amp to power up (assuming it's tube).
So you should ideally, put on the amp a little bit before you're going to listen - then put the headphone on your head and get a proper seal. Set the volume to 0, then plug them in.
After, you turn off the amp first, then unplug, de-charge using your palm, then place the foam on, then take off the head.

As I said in my review - this headphone is akin to single-razor shaving, vinyl or using a typewriter. All of which have their own fanbase.
Don't forget, while listening to music, you aren't allowed to breathe.

Audeze is a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back