Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
May 18, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,306 of 1,906
Audeze basically told me my farts and diaphragm issue were the result of user error :deadhorse:

They did not seem to care that the issues have been getting worse over time.

Their main suggestion was to not plug the headphones in until they are on my head and the amp is on. Of course woo audio says to plug the headphones in before turning the amp on. Who to listen to? :deadhorse:
Considering others have said they got audeze to look at/ fix this you should keep calling and contacting them until u get someone who cares enough to help you

May 18, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,307 of 1,906
Audeze basically told me my farts and diaphragm issue were the result of user error :deadhorse:

Their main suggestion was to not plug the headphones in until they are on my head and the amp is on. Of course woo audio says to plug the headphones in before turning the amp on. Who to listen to? :deadhorse:
It was part of why I let my CRBN go (the stock tuning being the other reason.)

I really wanted to like them. The fit and finish is impeccable, they look awesome, and whilst my first pair definitely had something wrong with it, my second pair functioned totally fine, at least within the parameters of how the CRBN functions.

I've experienced the "stax fart" on all the E-stats I've tried thus far (SR007mk2, SR009S, Shangri La SR, ES1a) but the CRBN is different. The CRBN is like a loud single crack and "stax fart" noise when you break the seal, or even just cause a pressure change that is large enough to cause the diaphragm to flex. When you combine this with the diaphragm sticking if the pressure change is large enough, which means you have to get up, unplug, decharge, re-plug, and go back to listening because its unlistenable with the diaphragm stuck, they become extremely frustrating to use.

The explanation from Audeze is that the diaphragm is tensioned more loosely than other e-stats' to achieve a good bass response, but the bass response.....isn't really any better than other e-stats. Maybe slightly, but I'd way rather have a more "normal" functioning diaphragm and boost the bass via EQ by a couple dB to achieve the same effect.

I think if you listen to the CRBN sitting upright in a chair, and happen to like their tuning, then they are certainly worth trying.

I do most of my concentrated listening at night lying in bed, and the CRBN resting against the pillow meant that any slight head movement caused the diaphragms to stick, ultimately making them incredibly frustrating to listen too.

With all that being said, some people really, really like the CRBN and I am happy for them. Just ended up not being for me.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #1,308 of 1,906
Considering others have said they got audeze to look at/ fix this you should keep calling and contacting them until u get someone who cares enough to help you
Yeah, and this is my 3rd pair of Audeze headphones. Honestly, I was surprised by how they were so quick to blame user error. Though, I’ve RMA’d 3 GPUs from Nvidia, and I’ve come to understand companies will try their hardest to not get you to ship your defective unit in. It just seems to go with the territory, unfortunately.

May 18, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #1,309 of 1,906
I listen to my CRBN reclined in my chair and other than occasionally when I first put them on I don't get the "fart" noise. Lucky maybe who knows. I do feel like they have more bass than other e-stats I have or have had. (009s, Voce, JR) I personaly like the tuning but I'm not sure if I had to choose one e-stat it would be the CRBN. Probably the JR.

But I have never had anything but good experiences with Audeze customer service. Had two headphones fail shortly after 3 year warranty was up. Both were repaired for free with no hastle. I hope their customer service isn't going down hill and there is just some difficult person there now. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

May 18, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,310 of 1,906
I think if you listen to the CRBN sitting upright in a chair, and happen to like their tuning, then they are certainly worth trying.

I do most of my concentrated listening at night lying in bed, and the CRBN resting against the pillow meant that any slight head movement caused the diaphragms to stick, ultimately making them incredibly frustrating to listen too.

With all that being said, some people really, really like the CRBN and I am happy for them. Just ended up not being for me.
I have owned 4 different models of Audeze. I would love to try these. My listening mode is exactly the same as above. I had to pass on the Heddphone because the ribbons would crackle when I moved my head against the pillow. Sometimes the design of an instrument just does not fit your lifestyle.

May 18, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,311 of 1,906
surprised to hear this discussion because over the years my experience with audeze support has been stellar in fact so good that it kept me going back

May 19, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,312 of 1,906
I think the stax fart issue falls into to two buckets for most users: 1) not terribly bad, noticeable, but over time you can be mindful of how you move while listening and when you put on/remove them; or 2) extremely bad and unacceptable, extremely persistent regardless of what you do and at grave levels.

I haven't had much of an issue since I've been more mindful of it. But it's clear to me that others have a bigger issue with theirs. Especially after the earlier vid from someone that shared video on here as well--just way louder than anything I've experienced with mine. I totally get why people are really frustrated on that front.

As far as the general tuning, I'm mainly a fan. Especially for a first time stat offering.

May 19, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,313 of 1,906
For anyone looking to try the crbn I’m selling my unit (which was sent in for a new fart-less one) for a substantial discount.
I stretched myself thin with a double SRX9000 order in hopes that one of them would come in earlier than the other but instead both of them ended up shipping last week (and charging my credit card).

May 19, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #1,314 of 1,906
For anyone looking to try the crbn I’m selling my unit (which was sent in for a new fart-less one) for a substantial discount.
I stretched myself thin with a double SRX9000 order in hopes that one of them would come in earlier than the other but instead both of them ended up shipping last week (and charging my credit card).
Do you hear it vs CRBN?

May 19, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,315 of 1,906
Do you hear it vs CRBN?
You are not gonna find many that prefer the crbn. I’m sure someone would. I guess.

That farting issue is really bad. I’d demand a fix or return if mine was that bad. I definitely wouldn’t let audeze tell me it’s my fault. I’d be livid.

May 19, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #1,317 of 1,906

I'd like to clear the air here. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I handled your ticket.

In no way was that an insinuation that you made mistakes and we weren't going to help (I have zero incentive to do anything but make the customer happy within reason), so please reply back to so we can assist you further.

For issues like this, we typically give customers the basic information about these CRBN issues and why they occur, and how to possibly address them. Then we wait for a response on whether these steps worked or not, and if not, proceed with getting their information to proceed further on having the unit sent in for inspection/repairs/replacement.

We didn't get a response up to that point. Once you contact us, we'll be more than happy to get your unit back for inspection/repair.

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #1,318 of 1,906
I'd like to clear the air here. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I handled your ticket.

In no way was that an insinuation that you made mistakes and we weren't going to help (I have zero incentive to do anything but make the customer happy within reason), so please reply back to so we can assist you further.

For issues like this, we typically give customers the basic information about these CRBN issues and why they occur, and how to possibly address them. Then we wait for a response on whether these steps worked or not, and if not, proceed with getting their information to proceed further on having the unit sent in for inspection/repairs/replacement.

We didn't get a response up to that point. Once you contact us, we'll be more than happy to get your unit back for inspection/repair.
Thanks for your response. I have been trying your suggestions, as I said I would, and it has not fixed the issue. I will respond back to you via email. I appreciate you taking the time to look into this personally.

May 19, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #1,319 of 1,906
I found this comical but also sad. Michael sent his CRBN to Audeze so they could fix the electrostatic noise issue being discussed above. He got it back after some weeks, opened the box live on air, and this happened. See at 52:46.

I suppose Audeze can argue that something happened during shipping, but that's very unlikely. I am a bit taken aback.

May 19, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,320 of 1,906
I found this comical but also sad. Michael sent his CRBN to Audeze so they could fix the electrostatic noise issue being discussed above. He got it back after some weeks, opened the box live on air, and this happened. See at 52:46.

I suppose Audeze can argue that something happened during shipping, but that's very unlikely. I am a bit taken aback.

Things happen, unexpected or not. We are also taking care of this directly.

You can absolutely be assured that issues like this get taken care of. All people have to do is literally contact us at support, and 99.9% of the time, we will have some solution. I understand the frustration of not getting things as expected, but that's why customer support exists.

We don't 'brush' people off or say tough luck or anything. If it's within a legitimate reason (and many times not), there will always be a path taken to assist.

I'm in the support system every morning to night. And we take matters like this very seriously.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back