Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Apr 2, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,586 of 5,996
Can I get your thoughts on how bass compares between the two?
Neither are bass cannons without EQ. The LCD5 had better slam or perceived speed. They both go deep into sub bass. I won't get into EQ as I don't personally use it much. But as stock, the Stealth is the warmer sounding. The bass is more present as well. Others have expressed how things change with EQ but I will leave that to them to comment on.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,587 of 5,996
Neither are bass cannons without EQ. The LCD5 had better slam or perceived speed. They both go deep into sub bass. I won't get into EQ as I don't personally use it much. But as stock, the Stealth is the warmer sounding. The bass is more present as well. Others have expressed how things change with EQ but I will leave that to them to comment on.
Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think there's anything about the LCD5 that is appealing to me right now. It seems to be a nice high end planar that doesn't do anything wrong but doesn't set the bar on anything either. The mids seem to be it's special feature, but from the frequency response, they seem pretty close to the Stealth. Not sure how they actually sound between the two, but I'm guessing pretty close.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #3,588 of 5,996
Can I get your thoughts on how bass compares between the two?
No one here can possibly inform you how these compare. If you are indeed serious just order both, hold to the return guidelines and one goes back. Everyone's ears are different. You can go by test bench results which show actual measurements. How that sounds to you is entirely a different. I used to own a tube amp w/expensive tubes and it did not measure well but had that smooth sound.
I owned an LCD 2 non fazer that was wonderful, I replaced it with the Meze Empyrean which to me was better. The Meze has great bass but to me after listening to the Stealth I could hear that was not accurate like the Stealth's. (I bought these based on a review and knew I could return them if I didn't like them). I read all the dialog here about bass response lacking. I have a grand amount of live Grateful Dead recordings which practically rattle my teeth out of my head from bass. Put on "Baby you're a Rich Man" or "The Word" from the Beatles 24 bit release and even more bass.
Also I would not take advice from a forum where possibly writers don't even own the equipment they offer opinion on or their amp/DAC is totally different from yours.

Apr 2, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #3,589 of 5,996
That's why we have a signature of gear we have and have had. Also I try to give comparisons to other gear and let someone decide from that. But the whole point of the forum is to share opinions and thoughts on the headphone. Not everyone wants or can drop, in this case, around $8500 to compare the two. Even if one gets returned.
But hey, to each his own. But I still ask for opinions and thoughts on new gear before I buy. And will offer them if someone asks.

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #3,590 of 5,996
It's always a good idea to never put too much weight into any one person's opinion. Always take an aggregate of opinions into account.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #3,591 of 5,996
How do Voce compare to Stealth @JLoud? I've always been interested in trying e-stats and the Voce and the new Audeze CRBN seem like they have decent bass.

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #3,592 of 5,996
Anyone here happen to own the TC also and can give a quick summary of the differences of the two headphones? Am looking to consider the stealth as a secondary complimentary headphone!

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #3,593 of 5,996
Anyone here happen to own the TC also and can give a quick summary of the differences of the two headphones? Am looking to consider the stealth as a secondary complimentary headphone!
Welcome to the Stealth thread Frank. I don't know who else owns both - they're both pretty polarizing headphones though. You have good taste.

This is what I posted to Frank over in the Abyss thread:
The biggest complaint about the Stealth is that is lacks dynamics and bass punch. A lot of fans of the headphone disagree. I will say, like most DCA headphones, I've found that they take more time to get acclimated to than most. So, they're not impressive with a quick A/B. But once you relax into the music and the headphone pads relax around your ears creating a perfect seal, then it's really unlike anything I've heard. The realism, naturalness, details, resolution, staging, everything about it sounds like you're in a perfectly treated room. Bass is different on the headphone, it's there and it's deep, but it's never overwhelming and very tightly controlled. Just my quick impressions. I've had them for several months and it took me a few weeks to become enamored with them. Also changed my preference to harman target and now I use EQ on the Abyss to make them sound a bit more like the Stealth's tonality.

Lots more about the Stealth on the Stealth thread - come on over. I don't want to turn this thread into another Stealth debate - it's all there on that thread for you to enjoy.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #3,595 of 5,996
There is nothing to compare, TC is way better headphones in almost every way.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #3,596 of 5,996
Abyss beats it on bass impact and sound stage. Stealth is superior in almost every other area, imo of course.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #3,597 of 5,996

In this thread, It seems not to be the felling for many .. if not, the opposite. :ksc75smile: ..

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #3,599 of 5,996
Abyss beats it on bass impact and sound stage. Stealth is superior in almost every other area, imo of course.

Even there... I already find that it can be nice to lower by one or two db the low frequencies of the Stealth and get even less "muddy" impacts and still go to very low frequencies (between 10 to 30 hz) => this makes impacts quite comparable to the HEDDphone One (deep, fast, clear and ultra low) in a much smaller and lighter headphone.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #3,600 of 5,996
Even there... I already find that it can be nice to lower by one or two db the low frequencies of the Stealth and get even less "muddy" impacts and still go to very low frequencies (between 10 to 30 hz) => this makes impacts quite comparable to the HEDDphone One (deep, fast, clear and ultra low) in a much smaller and lighter headphone.
There's too many factors at play. To get what you ask for, for example, it means unplugging the air-conditioner on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back