Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #3,046 of 5,996
https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=130

A new power oriented player from A&K. From the specs it looks like it will have no problem driving low sensitivity headphones. 15Vrms is a lot of power. But at 919g, it is borderline transportable.

I never owned their Kann line of products, and @newworld666 said Kann Alpha wasn't great at driving Stealth iirc.

Would be interesting regardless. It could be the best bet at portable solutions for the power hungry headphones.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #3,047 of 5,996

A new power oriented player from A&K. From the specs it looks like it will have no problem driving low sensitivity headphones. 15Vrms is a lot of power. But at 919g, it is borderline transportable.

I never owned their Kann line of products, and @newworld666 said Kann Alpha wasn't great at driving Stealth iirc.

Would be interesting regardless. It could be the best bet at portable solutions for the power hungry headphones.
Yea kann Alpha isn't implemented great despite the big power. M11pro can be much better, (but not necessarily on Stealth/lcd4/Susvara) but in terms of implementation and getting better blacks and timing.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #3,048 of 5,996

As we can see their advertisement
1641189781001.png

1) I doubt they understood that most demanding headphones are usually with low impedance and low sensitivity .. the DAP must be able to provide monstrous juice, which Kann Alpha can never do.

2) As usual A&K just indicates voltage without any load .. (Kann Alpha brings loads of distortions when you go to higher voltage)

3) Their wifi/streaming software is real garbage based on obsolete android system, which makes their DAP very often almost unusable or, at least, in low sound quality with most of the streaming providers. You can't expect to add modern players (Neutron/Uapp/Bubbleupn)

4) they never fix issues of their daps like FIIO is doing very well.

I will never try A&K anymore .. no support !

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #3,049 of 5,996
I will never try A&K anymore .. no support !
I support all the points you made and that's what I heard too. The power specs gives a false impression of what it can properly drive, and that's why people have resorted to speaker amps when they don't have to.

It has capacity to drive high voltage but little capacity to deliver clean stable current, which is the whole crux of driving the Stealth /susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #3,052 of 5,996
Hi guys,

does anybody have experience how Stealt fit on very big head/skull? Is it possible that headband strap may touch to the two NiTinol metal rods?

I am very curious about this, because my Ether C Flow are almost touching to those rods: my previous post with the picture
Have you owned Audeze? The steps on the rod is a good indicator of head size. I'm on the last step for the normal rods for example.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,054 of 5,996
sorry, never, I can't stand headphones heavier than 550g
Heddphone couldn't fit my head for example. I find the Stealth fit more comfortable than the Ether 2. The metal rods didn't bother me on the Ether 2 but I didn't keep track of how close the headband would touch the rod. 🤔 But at maximum stretch of the band on the Stealth, there just a slight clearance from the rod if that helps.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #3,055 of 5,996
Hi guys,

does anybody have experience how Stealt fit on very big head/skull? Is it possible that headband strap may touch to the two NiTinol metal rods?

I am very curious about this, because my Ether C Flow are almost touching to those rods: my previous post with the picture
I got a pretty big head and I still have enough "headroom" , pun intended....

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #3,057 of 5,996
Received my Stealth yesterday ( thanks @gahan ) and only had a few hours to listen and compare.

These are quite current hungry HP, just made and A-B-C comparison
A - Chord Hugo 2 - Sounds good and worthy as a travel/transportable companion
B - Chord Hugo 2 to AHB2 with and HE-6 adapter - Sounds fantastic
C - Chord TT2/MS - Sounds very good

D - to be continued, I need to check Chord TT2/MS to AHB2 with and HE-6 adapter but need to re-arrange and move things to same room and to much work right now.

These headphones do need a bit of power to sound its absolute best....

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #3,058 of 5,996
Received my Stealth yesterday ( thanks @gahan ) and only had a few hours to listen and compare.

D - to be continued, I need to check Chord TT2/MS to AHB2 with and HE-6 adapter but need to re-arrange and move things to same room and to much work right now.

E - Chord TT2/MS from the 2 x 3 pin XLR in the back of the TT2, but need to buy a cable to do this so will have to wait as well.....

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #3,059 of 5,996

Hi, it’s my understanding you should not need the Hifiman adapter for solid state amps. You might get even more transparency without it. It was mostly designed for tube amps, to protect the amp. But still, be careful not to turn it up and blow out your drivers!

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,060 of 5,996
Hi, it’s my understanding you should not need the Hifiman adapter for solid state amps. You might get even more transparency without it. It was mostly designed for tube amps, to protect the amp. But still, be careful not to turn it up and blow out your drivers!
Hi, Ok, I did not know that,
I thought it was needed for for low impedance HP, also it does assist to convert speaker taps to XLR as a convenience but if it does create an additional barrier to better sound I am willing to test it out, anyone out there who have used Stealth or similar HP without any adapter/resistor in between? A bit scared as one person on the Susvara thread blew up his HP's....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back