Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #3,031 of 5,996
HP out between pro iDSD vs pro iCan is a mixed bag I've yet to understand. In some HPs pro iDSD is sufficient, in some other HPs that's not necessarily power hungry, pro iCan is better. LCD4 is not that power hungry but it has a hollow middle presentation on the pro iDSD and is more linear on the pro iCan for example.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #3,032 of 5,996
HP out between pro iDSD vs pro iCan is a mixed bag I've yet to understand. In some HPs pro iDSD is sufficient, in some other HPs that's not necessarily power hungry, pro iCan is better. LCD4 is not that power hungry but it has a hollow middle presentation on the pro iDSD and is more linear on the pro iCan for example.
It's always good to have headroom so I picked the Pro iCAN...

Also I don't know since it doesn't have XLR out wondering if the Pro iDSD Signature 4.4 is iEMatched like the Pro iCAN 4.4 (doesn't look like it from the user manual), that would be an issue for headphones so I think not... maybe @iFi audio can help make sure.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #3,033 of 5,996
It's always good to have headroom so I picked the Pro iCAN...

Also I don't know since it doesn't have XLR out wondering if the Pro iDSD Signature 4.4 is iEMatched like the Pro iCAN 4.4 (doesn't look like it from the user manual), that would be an issue for headphones so I think not... maybe @iFi audio can help make sure.
I'm starting to see the headroom thing as a misnomer. I drive the Susvara at -6dB (+16dB or +19dB max) on the Dave with lots of headroom and you have people here saying it still couldn't drive it. I drive it at max volume on my modded Phonitor One which is just a fraction of the power of a Hugo 2 and it's one of the best sound I've heard.

Anyways, between the pro iDSD and pro iCan I think it's the power management and amount of current the device can output cleanly. In a certain chain combination the pro iDSD HP out can sound better than the pro iCan. I have since forgotten the combinations atm. And m17 to pro ican can be more elegant that pro iDSD to pro ican anyways. I read the m17 can get hot, if I plan to use it as a streamer, that means I have to navigate on it strapped to the fan and deal with the heat while I navigate?

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #3,034 of 5,996
I'm starting to see the headroom thing as a misnomer. I drive the Susvara at -6dB (+16dB or +19dB max) on the Dave with lots of headroom and you have people here saying it still couldn't drive it. I drive it at max volume on my modded Phonitor One which is just a fraction of the power of a Hugo 2 and it's one of the best sound I've heard. Anyways, between the pro iDSD and pro iCan I think it's the power management and amount of current the device can output cleanly. In a certain chain combination the pro iDSD HP out can sound better than the pro iCan. I have since forgotten the combinations atm. And m17 to pro ican can be more elegant that pro iDSD to pro ican anyways.
Well Pro iDSD delivers 11.7v balanced and Pro iCAN roughly twice (23v)...
Now iDSD is all in one so it's optimized and it probably is enough for 90% of HP and the DAC is a quad config and must be superior to M17 purely technically.
I'd be curious to check Stealth out of Pro iDSD, but I am happy with M17 and Pro iCAN, real heaven :)

I read the m17 can get hot, if I plan to use it as a streamer, that means I have to navigate on it strapped to the fan and deal with the heat while I navigate?
Honestly you'll get cozy with the stand very fast, all the people I know like me love this on their desk, the fan is useful yes especially if you run harder to drive HP with all to DSD on at high volume but the heat is not crazy either, I mean my Shanling M8 was hotter for example.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,035 of 5,996
Thank you. Besides I plan to use it as a transport so I expect it to run cooler. I just have to consider leaning over on a weird angle to navigate the UI if it's on a desk with the fan accessory at worse. I can pick it up to navigate at best and put it back.

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,036 of 5,996
Thank you. Besides I plan to use it as a transport so I expect it to run cooler. I just have to consider leaning over on a weird angle to navigate the UI if it's on a desk with the fan accessory at worse. I can pick it up to navigate at best and put it back.
I find myself navigating it from the Stand, and that's the real comfort to me keep the screen on with longer time to off on power and it's even better with double tap to wake

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #3,037 of 5,996
I'm calmly waiting for more m17 adopters and such in the coming months and see a shift from egoic beefy amp users controlling the narrative transition to conversation on signal path optimization.
As much as we may disagree on things, you put the M17 on my radar. I’m very interested in it now :beerchug:

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #3,038 of 5,996
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #3,039 of 5,996
I look forward then to a couple of experts explain away how the Dave HP output of 33Ω (1.4w) can't drive a Susvara that only needs <142mw.

Cheers
actually I believe the 1.4 is at 16 ohms so you do not have a clue...why are we paying attention to this knucklehead..the dave amp or whatever we want to call it is actually outstanding with an lcd-5 or utopia

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #3,040 of 5,996
actually I believe the 1.4 is at 16 ohms so you do not have a clue...why are we paying attention to this knucklehead..the dave amp or whatever we want to call it is actually outstanding with an lcd-5 or utopia
From Chord’s site

Headphone Output:

1% THD 6.8v RMS with 300Ω (154mW)

1% THD 6.8v RMS with 33Ω (1.4w)

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/dave

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #3,041 of 5,996
As much as we may disagree on things, you put the M17 on my radar. I’m very interested in it now :beerchug:
Cheers. Let me know how it goes if you still have the Stealth. I suggest a powerbank that does 12vdc to do external power to get a lower, denser playback seeing that your Dave has a hard time driving the Susvara/Stealth which speak of the AC mains quality. Dc cable quality with the powerbank is a game changer experience too. Best consumer one is Ghent audio. I make my own 17awg silver occ dc cables for better extension top and bottom. You've seen that japanese YT video I've shared that has the m17 powered by Elite vs powerbank?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #3,042 of 5,996
I stand corrected but my point holds...the susvara does not receive 1.4 from the dave at 60 ohms

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #3,044 of 5,996
well I thought your point in pointing it out was to suggest it does...wasnt it?Otherwise what was the point?

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #3,045 of 5,996
well I thought your point in pointing it out was to suggest it does...wasnt it?
You can guesstimate what it is based on the spec but it is clear that there's enough headroom.

I'm playing the Stealth on the modded Phonitor One that is a fraction of the power and I'm getting thicc bass. The kick drum has a healthy density, accuracy and tonality that even the Susvara or LCD4 can't touch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back