MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #5,687 of 5,796
Hey guys. I bought used Ether C Flow. In description it was 1.1 but I think it's not from what I see. In attachment you will find photos of pads and filters that were disassembled. On cans were some non stock pads that when I first turned them on it sounded awful. But I took out pads and seen no filters at all so I added the one that is on the picture and then it started to sound like it should. But I want to know if it's 1.1 or I should ask for some refund.

Attachments

• Filters.jpg
    Filters.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #5,688 of 5,796
Hey guys. I bought used Ether C Flow. In description it was 1.1 but I think it's not from what I see. In attachment you will find photos of pads and filters that were disassembled. On cans were some non stock pads that when I first turned them on it sounded awful. But I took out pads and seen no filters at all so I added the one that is on the picture and then it started to sound like it should. But I want to know if it's 1.1 or I should ask for some refund.
That is the original Ether Flow not the 1.1. The 1.1 mod looks like this with the filter sticker that goes over the diver itself along with 3 tuning pad filters that you can insert into the pad.

DSCF0256.jpg
DSCF0267.jpg

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #5,690 of 5,796
Yes. I'm planning to purchase it with pads as well because these headphones are from end of 2016. Just wanted to make sure as the guy I purchased from is so called reviewer and they are very sensitive if you show them that they're wrong :)

Nov 6, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #5,691 of 5,796
Greetings,

Just bought a pair of Ether Flow Open 1.1 headphones. Listening as I type. The phones sound good, but I really feel like my Fostex TH610 sound very similar. I mean TH610's can hardly be considered end-game, but they seem to keep up quite well. The TH610 are a little bit thinner, but oddly sound more open - even if only slightly. Maybe my expectations were too high. Really don't know exactly what I was expecting, I guess just more. TH610's seem to be a bit more articulate on the highs as well.

I don't know, maybe I am tilting with windmills. Thought about the TH909 for a bit more of a fun sound signature. Very difficult when you can not listen first. Oh well.

I am running both off the Fostex HP4BL with balanced cables.

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #5,693 of 5,796
@mrspeakers are the blue rings on the Ether flows user replaceable? Ive got a nasty chip in the right one id like to fix.

Sorry, they're really not user replaceable. However, if you do want that repaired our shop rates are really low, or goal is to help people keep their headphones in service, not to make service a profit center. Contact info@danclarkaudio.com and Sue can give you a repair estimate.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 24, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #5,694 of 5,796
Hi @mrspeakers,

if possible, then please make your next-gen Ether C Flow headphones with bigger NiTinol metal headband, because as you can see from my picture, the headband strap is almost touching to the metal rods, there is max 1mm gap.
In the the past I also owned 1.gen Aeon Flow Closed, and they didn't have this problem for me, but I prefer the sound of Ether's more.
IMHO they are still one of the best closed-back headphones on the market right now :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Europe to USA

ether c flow headband3.jpg

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #5,695 of 5,796
Greetings,

Just bought a pair of Ether Flow Open 1.1 headphones. Listening as I type. The phones sound good, but I really feel like my Fostex TH610 sound very similar. I mean TH610's can hardly be considered end-game, but they seem to keep up quite well. The TH610 are a little bit thinner, but oddly sound more open - even if only slightly. Maybe my expectations were too high. Really don't know exactly what I was expecting, I guess just more. TH610's seem to be a bit more articulate on the highs as well.

I don't know, maybe I am tilting with windmills. Thought about the TH909 for a bit more of a fun sound signature. Very difficult when you can not listen first. Oh well.

I am running both off the Fostex HP4BL with balanced cables.

Ether headphones like power, they're not WOW effects at the beginning. For me, they are neutral sounding headphones who needs time to love.
They have not body sound like Audeze but they are faster, they are not spaciousness velvet sounding from hifiman headphones but they are more Dynamic. They dont have the dymanic from Focal (Elear , clear )but they are more linear and bigger soundstage.

It's a mix of great qualities.
Versatile reference headphones.

Dec 24, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #5,696 of 5,796
Hi @mrspeakers,

if possible, then please make your next-gen Ether C Flow headphones with bigger NiTinol metal headband, because as you can see from my picture, the headband strap is almost touching to the metal rods, there is max 1mm gap.
In the the past I also owned 1.gen Aeon Flow Closed, and they didn't have this problem for me, but I prefer the sound of Ether's more.
IMHO they are still one of the best closed-back headphones on the market right now :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Europe to USA

A quick fix: purchase a new piece of leather (assuming you'd like to keep the phones original for resale). Remove the OEM leather, and make a template. Shorten the template by 3-4 cm, and cut your new piece of leather.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #5,697 of 5,796
A quick fix: purchase a new piece of leather (assuming you'd like to keep the phones original for resale). Remove the OEM leather, and make a template. Shorten the template by 3-4 cm, and cut your new piece of leather.
I actually replaced the original leather strap for custom longer one, and it increased comfort a lot...but I have very big head, and a lot of headphones I returned because of that

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #5,698 of 5,796
I actually replaced the original leather strap for custom longer one, and it increased comfort a lot...but I have very big head, and a lot of headphones I returned because of that
A shorter strap will provide greater distance between the strap and nitinol wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back