Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Nov 7, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,416 of 2,594
As someone who is considering grabbing a pair of the D8k Pro Le currently (they're so very pretty) and also owns and enjoys the Expanse, I'm curious to hear more about how it compared to the Stealth (and therefore presumably how it compares to the Expanse)
Bass on the D8k Pro Le was great, one of the best i've heard, soundstage bigger than Stealth, tonality was a bit off to my ears and I couldn't get over it. Comfort was not great, even with the leather headband, but not as bad as people say. What really sets Stealth apart for me is the clarity it has and just how much stuff you can hear at once compared to the D8k Pro, Susvara, pretty much anything else non-AMTS. By comparison it sounded really muddy to me. As for the lack of soundstage on the Stealth...Hm1 fixes that.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #2,417 of 2,594
I tried the fabeled Expanse several days ago at my local headphone shop with my Astell & Kern SP3000 together with the AK PA10. Luckily I can say that this combo can drive the cans. Unfortuantely I find the sound of the Expanse rather harsh and unpleasant and lacking musicality. I also tried the Final D8000 Pro and now this was a really pleasant surprise. Simply great. I bought it immediately (the Ltd. Edition) and boy this is really excellent! And also a big step up from my former headphones the Abyss Diana TC.
The Expanse is not a good match with portable gear. They are just too insensitive, so you quickly find the limits of whatever you plug them in to. The harshness you would have heard would have been from the amp. Put it this way: I've been listening with them out of an Audio-gd Master 10 power amp! Albeit, the gain has to be turned right down with both the TT2 and Master 10 for it to be viable. As has already been said, portable gear will just get shouty as it tries to push both voltage and current to the headphones. The Final D8000 and Pro are definitely much easier to drive.

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #2,418 of 2,594
Yes I got that. I think it is not a got idea - at least for me - to build my system around an insensitiv headphone. I want my existing audiophile equipment to sound as good as possible. And the Expanse is simply not capable of achieving this task. What a shame. Glad I have found the D8k Pro…

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #2,419 of 2,594
Yes I got that. I think it is not a got idea - at least for me - to build my system around an insensitiv headphone. I want my existing audiophile equipment to sound as good as possible. And the Expanse is simply not capable of achieving this task. What a shame. Glad I have found the D8k Pro…
Yeah insensitive headphones are a double edged sword.

They bring blacker background and are less prone to be affected by noise from the gear, but at the same time require decent amounts of power to sing.

Expanse with Feliks Envy tho, that's a magnificent pairing. Especially since the tubes help with the soundstage on the Expanse

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,420 of 2,594
The Expanse is not a good match with portable gear. They are just too insensitive, so you quickly find the limits of whatever you plug them in to. The harshness you would have heard would have been from the amp. Put it this way: I've been listening with them out of an Audio-gd Master 10 power amp! Albeit, the gain has to be turned right down with both the TT2 and Master 10 for it to be viable. As has already been said, portable gear will just get shouty as it tries to push both voltage and current to the headphones. The Final D8000 and Pro are definitely much easier to drive.
An amp that can drive low impedance loads and current double as the load deceases by half is perfectly ideal for the Expanse. No need to use a monster power amp for excellent results.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #2,421 of 2,594
An amp that can drive low impedance loads and current double as the load deceases by half is perfectly ideal for the Expanse. No need to use a monster power amp for excellent results.
SMD mini CFA3 would be something.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #2,422 of 2,594
Having tried the Stealth with the Mojo...it sounded limp af. So much so that I now travel with the Stealth, Mojo and HM1, even if it's a bit of a pita.

Nov 9, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #2,425 of 2,594
And now I'm also much happier with the Expanse ☺️

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-austrian-audio.969871/page-74#post-17812016

NOMAX

PS.The bass /low end are no longer so thick and spongy......and best of all.....the performance is so airy.....heavenly😇
And who knows...maybe the soundstage button will also be available via a firmware update from RME for the PRO/SE 😉
(PRO SE+SCORE ONE=4.000 Euros and not over 8.000)

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #2,427 of 2,594
Dang it, totally forgot I was deaf and poor, thanks for the reminder!
Well hello 8 year ago me. Lol. I was spamming it can't get much better than the Mojo for years. I would love to sell everything and get some money back :)
Mojo is better than some higher powered stuff i've heard, but it really can get much better with the Expanse.
And now I'm also much happier with the Expanse ☺️

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-austrian-audio.969871/page-74#post-17812016

NOMAX

PS.The bass /low end are no longer so thick and spongy......and best of all.....the performance is so airy.....heavenly😇
And who knows...maybe the soundstage button will also be available via a firmware update from RME for the PRO/SE 😉
(PRO SE+SCORE ONE=4.000 Euros and not over 8.000)
Yeah 6v vs 2v is a game changer with the HM1 and Oor. I agree that the HM1 could've been cheaper, but then I look at the new amps that came out since at double the price that offer no real objective improvement, just tubes thrown in, and feel better.

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #2,428 of 2,594
But I wouldn't have thought it possible that the difference is so big with the Score One
I couldn't tell the difference before with lower RME DAC output level with the Expanse 🙈
Really strange the whole thing🤣

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #2,429 of 2,594
Well hello 8 year ago me. Lol. I was spamming it can't get much better than the Mojo for years. I would love to sell everything and get some money back :)
Mojo is better than some higher powered stuff i've heard, but it really can get much better with the Expanse.

Well hello 30 years ago me, back in the day my dedicated listening room... Simon Yorke turntable, Lyra Clavis De Capo Cartridge, CAT Signature Pre and Jadis JA 200 mono blocks... Many speakers, too many.
I know what it’s like to believe whole heartedly in a fairy tale, however methodical blind testing undid my hobby, a bitter pill to swallow, but the truth does set you free.
It’s easy to see through the silliness in high end audio forums but I’m willingly to be indulged if anybody can back up their opinions or claims.

As to your preference for the HM1 over the Mojo, was this a remark based solely on impressions without testing? Not a dig at all, just for my curiosity.

Otherwise it’s back to topic ...anyone tried connecting the Expanse to pair of Krell MRA-Master References?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #2,430 of 2,594
This post feels somewhat … disloyal? … given how vigorously I’ve praised other cans, but

Expanse might be the best

One Can to Rule Them All

given my musical preferences & chain

Volumio Primo ==> mTT2 ==> DSHA-3F ==> Expanse

I use cross-fade 1 on my TT2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back