Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,401 of 2,602
I've occasionally pulled the Diablo off the shelf to give it another listen. It really needs HQPlayer to sound other than dull now.
It's a sad state of affairs that some of us have to rely on as dependencies. This is the unfortunate reality for some though.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,402 of 2,602
There is no fast/compact oomph/sub bass in the acoustic world 😎

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #2,403 of 2,602
Interesting. The G5 has basically the same power ratings as the m17 but I definitely notice it's missing some oomph when I use the G5 with the Expanse.
L7 Audiolabs measures the G5 at around 800-900 mW as the Expanse impedance is in between 16 and 32 ohms.
1698597504309.png

M17 has around 2.25 Watts if we take the average of the 16 and 32 ohm specs (Couldn't find measurements)

1698597547306.png

I found the G5 to sound pretty good with the Stealth, but I sold it since it was unusable with iems due to the extreme EMI/RFI sensitivity (I could monitor what my phone cpu was doing in realtime)

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #2,404 of 2,602
M17 has around 2.25 Watts if we take the average of the 16 and 32 ohm specs (Couldn't find measurements)
Ah, my source on the specs was wrong and showed 1.1-1.4W

Screenshot 2023-10-29 124820.png

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #2,406 of 2,602
No point in mucking around. You want a Mjolnir. :L3000:

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,408 of 2,602
Hello from Vienna,
I hope that you can give me some advice - I am really interested in the DCA Expanse but I have heard that this headphone is quit power hungry. Now my equipment is the Astell & Kern SP 3000 and the PA10. Would this be a good pairing, has it enough power for a satisfying listening experience?
Thank you very much for your advice and response in advance
Kind regards
Alfred
Unfortunately it's not possible to actually answer this direclty because AK publishes only the output voltage swing for both the 3000 and PA10, but they do not specify power into differing loads. In the past I have never found any AK DAP other than the KANN to actually have enough current capability to drive planars, they seem very targetted to IEM or high Z dynamic drivers.

The PA10 has the same output voltage spec as the 3000 making me suspicious it may actually be the same amp module. My suggestion to you would be to find a portable amp to go with it or to look at a higher power DAP from FiiO or other makers who publish specs at 32ohms. The higher the better. An alternate is simply a Chord Mojo 2 connected to your phone, which has plenty of power, a solid DAC and won't bust the bank.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 2, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,409 of 2,602
An alternate is simply a Chord Mojo 2 connected to your phone, which has plenty of power, a solid DAC and won't bust the bank.
I mean..."plenty" might be overly generous here. I travel with the Mojo(albeit 1) and Stealth and...it just makes me sad compared to my main system. So much so that I would rather carry the HM1 with me and use the Mojo in dac mode (also makes me said, but I can't blame the Stealth as it's a different beast this way), or just go with Airpods Pro 2 and call it a day.

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #2,410 of 2,602
I mean..."plenty" might be overly generous here. I travel with the Mojo(albeit 1) and Stealth and...it just makes me sad compared to my main system. So much so that I would rather carry the HM1 with me and use the Mojo in dac mode (also makes me said, but I can't blame the Stealth as it's a different beast this way), or just go with Airpods Pro 2 and call it a day.

One day, when I travel to europe, there will be a time I go to a cafe, and someone beside me set a HM1 on the table. I would love to see that haha.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2,411 of 2,602
One day, when I travel to europe, there will be a time I go to a cafe, and someone beside me set a HM1 on the table. I would love to see that haha.
LMAO. My "portable" stuff is just "transportable" to another location, still listening at a desk. Airpods pro/Car speakers for anything on the move. Though I would have no problem taking the HM1 into the office. I used to travel with Sony Z1R and Mojo in my backpack every day 8-9 years ago :)

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #2,412 of 2,602
I'm guessing that it's no more than 750mw-1watt @32 ohm what comes out of my Sp3000 in balanced mode😎

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,413 of 2,602
No point in mucking around. You want a Mjolnir. :L3000:

As I have received a lot of questions about how the Lotoo performs with the two flagships from DCA😎
I'll let you know😉.... is on its way to me 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #2,414 of 2,602
I get all kinds of questions when I travel. I set up the Chord Hugo 2/ Cayin C9 Combo and headphone of choice that day. People can’t help but to stop and talk. Be careful they also want to hear the setup too.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2,415 of 2,602
As I have received a lot of questions about how the Lotoo performs with the two flagships from DCA😎
I'll let you know😉.... is on its way to me 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
We enjoyed the sound of the Lotoo products a lot when we listened in Munich...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back