Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 12, 2022 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,599

As open-back headphones go, there’s nothing quite like the new Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE. While it was developed and built using the platform and technologies pioneered on the closed-back STEALTH, the EXPANSE brings entirely unique qualities to open-back headphone voicing and design. We talk with Dan Clark about the EXPANSE, show you measurements (and measurement comparisons), and provide subjective impressions and comparisons.

The headphone measurements in this video were made in our measurement lab at Head-Fi HQ using the following equipment:

produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla

Sep 12, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 2,599
Thanks to Jude and the Head-Fi crew for having me out to discuss EXPANSE!

Naturally I got back to San Diego and then we got a string of weather that nearly broke the grid due to heat and humidity, such is life!

I'll answer common questions here as the thread grows so people don't have to search for information.

Please note that headphones are in stock and available in the US from our site as well as select retailers throughout the week.

EDIT: Per discussions on EQ points for Expanse to adjust tonality to be closer to STEALTH: PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, -2.5dB. Conversely to make Stealth sound closer to Expanse, PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, +2.5dB.

Also note that if you feel Stealth bass is just right at high levels you may want to increase it at low volumes due to how we perceive bass at different volumes. Similarly if you find Expanse to be a bit bass-forward at high levels you may find the bass just right as volume decreases. EQ can resolve both these considerations to improve your experience as your volume levels change.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 12, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 2,599
Sep 12, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 2,599
I’m glad to hear it’s not just an open backed Stealth. The bass response has me interested for sure! :beerchug:

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 2,599
Also, this should probably be in Summit-Fi, given the price

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 2,599
Can't wait to hear these and compare them to the Stealth this weekend at CanJam! :L3000:

I've got these, the MM-500, Atrium, Caldera, 109 Pro, and the Focal Utopia 2022 to get some ear-time with! Gonna be busy!!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 2,599
Will their be any kind of a trade-in/trade-up opportunity for Expanse for current Stealth owners from DCA?

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 2,599
Personally I'm not a fan of reviews coming out right at the launch. (Not just for DCA, for any manufacturer)

It is basically impossible for those reviews to be unbiased, as the reviews were orchestrated by the manufacturer.

The product should be released first, then people should review them independently without any bias or pressure.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 2,599
@Currawong review is up as well.

[

Currawong did hit upon the issue with the regular Stealth that caused me to sell it.

"no bass".

That was the same issue with the original "Aeon". It had no bass.

So, if this new edition "Expanse", solves that problem, and also adds more soundstage, then that is good to know.
Currawong stated that its basically the same STEALTH CLOSED sound, yet, we who have owned many headphones, know that a open version of a closed and vice versa is not the
"same sound"..... but if its in that same family of sound, TONALLY, then thats also good to know, as the Stealth has a unique sound.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 2,599
Currawong did hit upon the issue with the regular Stealth that caused me to sell it.

"no bass".

That was the same issue with the original "Aeon". It had no bass.

So, if this new edition "Expanse", solves that problem, and also adds more soundstage, then that is good to know.
Currawong stated that its basically the same STEALTH CLOSED sound, yet, we who have owned many headphones, know that a open version of a closed and vice versa is not the
"same sound"..... but if its in that same family of sound, TONALLY, then thats also good to know, as the Stealth has a unique sound.

The Stealth has a ton of bass.

Stealth = Green
Utopia = Red
1663016033979.png

You're probably not getting a good seal for some reason.
Mine hits nearly as hard as the TH900.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 2,599
Super interested in the Expanse.
That tasteful elevation on top of harman Bass, coupled with the metamaterial sounds really tempting.

Will have to wait financially for a while, but it has a Slot very high on my list of interests.

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 2,599
The Stealth has a ton of bass.

Stealth = Green
Utopia = Red
1663016033979.png

You're probably not getting a good seal for some reason.
Mine hits nearly as hard as the TH900.
I think that it is important to separate the topic of sub-bass (20hz-80hz) from the topic of mid-bass (80hz-200hz). The Stealths have a healthy serving of sub-bass rumble but I think most people who say that they "lack bass" are looking for more mid-bass impact. Perspective also matters. If they're coming from a vigorous dynamic headphone that has a boost in the mid-bass (such as the Stellias or Z1Rs or Verite Closed) the Stealths will sound quite light in the mid-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back