Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Oct 27, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #2,386 of 2,606
Tbh the soundstage width is not an issue for me, as both the Rossini ( via Mapper change, widening is more drastic than the HM1 even but at the expense of center image definition and it's a different sound altogether) and the HM1 (more subtle than Rossini, but absolutely no impact on imaging, tonality, etc) have options to expand the soundstage to levels of the Ca-1a, Susvara, etc. Even on the Stealth i can get the soundstage to "too wide " levels, so I leave the Rossini on the "narrow but great center image" setting and just use the Hm1 to widen it. No downsides whatsoever.
What I would love from the Expanse is a bit more impact, and a bit more depth. Those are the only 2 things i'm missing from Stealth compared to the Ca-1a (Star 8 and Mitch's filters). Turning the Rossini to 6v instead of 2v into both the HM1 and Oor gives a TON of slam, and i've been listening that way for a while on the Oor, as it just sounded too soft with Stealth, but it does come with some drawbacks. Bass is a bit exaggerated and comes at the cost of clarity in other regions. 2v is a lot more balanced and with better imaging, even though there's a bit less slam. I don't think this is a current/power issue, but maybe 6v is just a bit "too hot" for the amps and causing some distortion. Can't really explain why bass becomes so bloated otherwise.
Do the Lina and/or Bartok also have mapper that the Rossini has?
Sounds like an interesting option

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #2,387 of 2,606
Do the Lina and/or Bartok also have mapper that the Rossini has?
Sounds like an interesting option
As of the 2.0 Upgrade , the Lina also has it. That's basically what it added afaik (and some filters). Previously you only had one mapper, which, post update, is inferior in every way to the new ones. That becomes Mapper 2 after update, and you can switch between 1 and 3 for Rossini, Bartok (when it got the udate to 2.0), and I imagine Lina as well. It's not just a different flavor like you get with the 6 filters or HQP upsampling filters. It's a more noticeable change as it's closer to the hardware level and it's a doubling of the clock rate with the update. So essentially like overclocking your CPU. It's just better, and 1 and 3 are pretty different to each other.
Are dCS kind of a-holes for locking performance behind a software update for 2 years before you can enjoy the full performance of your device? Maybe, but then again, Intel, Nvidia, do the same thing with GPUS and CPUS, neutering their hardware for years until you get the full performance that was already there (and you have to buy new hardware to get it). Then again, with people always wanting "newer and better", and the astronomically high costs of production for that hardware, it makes sense economically.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #2,388 of 2,606
I've since placed an order for the Expanse. There's really no going back for me to non-AMTS headphones. No intention to get a speaker amp (or speakers), sticking with the HM1. I also find Stealth to have more slam than Susvara for example. What it kind of lacks is the feel that the D8k Pro Le had for example, those were crazy tactile, like they were actually moving air.
Hope the Expanse is a bit more dynamic than Stealth, but i'm mostly getting it out of curiosity at this point, since i've exhausted all other headphones. Right now, the Stealth is the best thing i've ever heard, by quite some margin. The HM1 took it to new levels compared to the Oor.
I tried Oor and HM1 with my personal Expanse at CanJam and same experience you had with the Stealth, I felt the Oor was underwhelming. With the right amp, the Expanse slams, but with the Oor I felt like it didn't.
Haven't heard the Expanse yet but I feel like this interview with mixing engineer Christoph Stickel has a nice description of the differences:
This hits on why the Expanse is my most used out of all my headphones, it's the one I put on when I just wanna have music playing in the background. Everything sounds pleasant on it, it's so comfortable, it blocks more background noise than most open backs while still feeling open, I don't need to use any filters/EQ or adapters with it, etc. Do my CA-1a and X9000 sometimes sound better? Yeah, but the Expanse is the best all around imo and my default for non-critical listening sessions.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #2,389 of 2,606
I tried Oor and HM1 with my personal Expanse at CanJam and same experience you had with the Stealth, I felt the Oor was underwhelming. With the right amp, the Expanse slams, but with the Oor I felt like it didn't.
On a whim I just tested the Stealth with the HM1 plugged directly into the wall as opposed to my Isotek Aquarius power conditioner. Better slam, but sounds a lot "dirtier". I also have a Plixir BAC 1500 on loan from a friend and ....bass is even deeper than the wall, as well as being at least as clean as the Isotek.
Either way, absolutely no complaints about the slam of the Stealth. Can't wait to hear what the Expanse brings to the table.

Oct 27, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,390 of 2,606
I've still never gotten to try the Stealth, would love to get to compare at a meetup someday. I'm always an open back guy but Stealth seems like one closed back even open back people love. My only closed backs are Lirics and they only get used if there's background noise.

Oct 27, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,391 of 2,606
Just gave Mitch my feedback on his filters for the Expanse and thought I'd also post here.

"This one (Expanse) was already pretty spot on and tough to improve with a filter. One interesting observation is that the perceived loudness increases on the neutral filter but to my ears doesn't on the treble extension filter. The neutral filter also makes me feel like I'm sitting closer to the singer, the presentation changes a bit when I switch between them. I think I like the treble extension filter best. When I toggle that off and on I feel there's a "thinness" that goes away when the filter is on. Interestingly I don't get this thinness feeling ABing the neutral filter when that's off, perhaps because the perceived loudness increase is countering the "smoothness/body" increase I get on the ext filter and it winds up having that slight thinness both on and off. Long story short I like the treble ext filter, it feels a little fuller. It's a mild change, not as dramatic as the CA-1A filters everyone loves. Actually as I'm listening more maybe I like the neutral best? That perceived loudness increase is making some songs more punchy/dynamic. Listening to Digital Bath by Deftones currently and that track benefits from the neutral filter. The drumline is noticeably punchier."

TLDR I found in some situations the neutral filter seemed punchier and the filter with treble extension felt "fuller". Overall preferred the filters on, haven't yet decided which is my favorite though. The neutral/default one is great for rock, it was kicking ass with Deftones and RATM.

Oct 28, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #2,392 of 2,606
Just gave Mitch my feedback on his filters for the Expanse and thought I'd also post here.

"This one (Expanse) was already pretty spot on and tough to improve with a filter. One interesting observation is that the perceived loudness increases on the neutral filter but to my ears doesn't on the treble extension filter. The neutral filter also makes me feel like I'm sitting closer to the singer, the presentation changes a bit when I switch between them. I think I like the treble extension filter best. When I toggle that off and on I feel there's a "thinness" that goes away when the filter is on. Interestingly I don't get this thinness feeling ABing the neutral filter when that's off, perhaps because the perceived loudness increase is countering the "smoothness/body" increase I get on the ext filter and it winds up having that slight thinness both on and off. Long story short I like the treble ext filter, it feels a little fuller. It's a mild change, not as dramatic as the CA-1A filters everyone loves. Actually as I'm listening more maybe I like the neutral best? That perceived loudness increase is making some songs more punchy/dynamic. Listening to Digital Bath by Deftones currently and that track benefits from the neutral filter. The drumline is noticeably punchier."

TLDR I found in some situations the neutral filter seemed punchier and the filter with treble extension felt "fuller". Overall preferred the filters on, haven't yet decided which is my favorite though. The neutral/default one is great for rock, it was kicking ass with Deftones and RATM.
I'm also using Expanse with Mitch filter. The natural one is my choice. I prefer it over stock tuning.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #2,393 of 2,606
Thanks to Jude and the Head-Fi crew for having me out to discuss EXPANSE!

Naturally I got back to San Diego and then we got a string of weather that nearly broke the grid due to heat and humidity, such is life!

I'll answer common questions here as the thread grows so people don't have to search for information.

Please note that headphones are in stock and available in the US from our site as well as select retailers throughout the week.

EDIT: Per discussions on EQ points for Expanse to adjust tonality to be closer to STEALTH: PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, -2.5dB. Conversely to make Stealth sound closer to Expanse, PEQ 175Hz, Q=2.6, +2.5dB.

Also note that if you feel Stealth bass is just right at high levels you may want to increase it at low volumes due to how we perceive bass at different volumes. Similarly if you find Expanse to be a bit bass-forward at high levels you may find the bass just right as volume decreases. EQ can resolve both these considerations to improve your experience as your volume levels change.
Hello from Vienna,
I hope that you can give me some advice - I am really interested in the DCA Expanse but I have heard that this headphone is quit power hungry. Now my equipment is the Astell & Kern SP 3000 and the PA10. Would this be a good pairing, has it enough power for a satisfying listening experience?
Thank you very much for your advice and response in advance
Kind regards
Alfred

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #2,394 of 2,606
@AlfeedE

Sp3000 has to less power for the Expanse

NOMAX

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #2,396 of 2,606
Yes also...try the ifi diablo 👍

NOMAX

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #2,397 of 2,606
Yes also...try the ifi diablo 👍

NOMAX
I've occasionally pulled the Diablo off the shelf to give it another listen. It really needs HQPlayer to sound other than dull now.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,398 of 2,606
Simply never going to be able to power the Expanse well with a portable imo, they just don't have the current for it.
My G5 sounds "fine" with the Expanse and it works in a pinch but it's clearly missing dynamics/impact.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,399 of 2,606
I don't feel i'm missing a lot power-wise with my FIIO m17, it gets nearly there, but it's such a brick some people refuse to call it "portable" lol.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #2,400 of 2,606
Interesting. The G5 has basically the same power ratings as the m17 but I definitely notice it's missing some oomph when I use the G5 with the Expanse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back