Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Mar 8, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #2,581 of 2,599
So I have had the E3, Expanse, and Stealth. I have what most would consider a pretty modest array of setups (Element 3, Modius / Lyr+, A70 Pro (different rooms / areas of listening). I have a friend who is way more into source hardware than myself(Ferrum stack, Lina Stack). We spent a lot of time testing out different combinations and here are some of my observations:
  1. The Element 3 is an amazing all in one. It drove all of them almost equal to the super high-end equipment. All of the headphones sounded fantastic. Don't worry about having to dump money in to upgrades. If you are happy with how they sound, they are working as intended. You don't need to go broke here.
  2. I couldn't discern any difference in detail retrieval between the 3 headphones. Just different sound signatures. The E3 was the livliest. My favorite was the Expanse overall but it's close.
  3. The build quality on all of them are stellar. My opinion in order would be: Expanse > Stealth > E3 for build quality. All have the same comfort once the headband has broken in and conforms to your head. My initial hotspot has gone away.

Can you comment on how well the Lyr+ does with the Expanse? I'm considering purchasing an expanse and have a Lyr+ that I'd be running it on if I were to do so.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #2,584 of 2,599
I was comparing my Expanse to my Susvara this afternoon. My system is an Aurender W20SE > Holo May KTE > Auris Nirvana > Expanse/Susvara. I also tried my Holo Bliss KTE but I much prefer the Nirvana with NOS Mullard EL34 and a RCA 12AU7.

The Susvara produced a larger soundstage but I prefer the image placement within the soundstage of the Expanse. As Dan said above, the Expanse’s soundstage seems to be very deep. Background vocals seemed to be properly placed behind the main vocalist more so than on the Susvara. The main vocalist, in this case Susan Wong, was sharply in focus on the Expanse and the background vocalist further back to the right. The Expanse was also a bit warmer and fuller but not by much. Female vocals are perfect.

I think the Expanse holds it own and then some against other top flight headphones. I much prefer the Expanse driven by a powerful quality tube amp like my Nirvana or WA23 Luna as opposed to my Bliss KTE or Enleum 23R. If I put a vacuum tube preamp in front of my SS amps then the gap isn’t so large.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #2,585 of 2,599
Hello Expanse-Lovers out there,

i've got my Expanse for a few weeks now and i noticed that the pads smell ridiculous. It is pretty disgusting. I've never had any problems with another headphone so far.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Best
Dominik

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #2,586 of 2,599

i've got my Expanse for a few weeks now and i noticed that the pads smell ridiculous. It is pretty disgusting. I've never had any problems with another headphone so far.

Best
Dominik
Nope, no problem at all.
Is that a brand new unit?

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #2,587 of 2,599

Best
Dominik
Did they start to smell or do you mean that "factory fresh" smell?

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #2,588 of 2,599

Best
Dominik
No odor issue with my Expanse.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #2,590 of 2,599
That is strange 😅

Did anyone already swap the pads on the Expanse?
I swapped pads on the Stealth and they smelled a bit funky for 2 weeks but it goes away, maybe you're very sensitive to that smell

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #2,591 of 2,599

Best
Dominik
No smell here. Did you get the Expanse new or used?

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #2,592 of 2,599
Both my Expanse and Corina had that "factory fresh smell"
However in no way is that an unpleasant odor, just like with a new car it's quite nice.

It also preserves for months if they are kept in the original packaging. My Corina still had it when I switched to it a month ago.
However since it's my daily driver since then, the smell is gone by now.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #2,593 of 2,599
Thanks for your help so far :)

I got mine used but it was literally new and only used a few times 😁 it doesn’t smell like that when I got it.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2,595 of 2,599
Thanks for all your help and advice so far :)

It seems that not the pads themselfs are smelling that bad but rather the „fabric“ material inside that covers the drivers.

Maybe I just have to buy some new pads 😩

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back