Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #2,566 of 2,599
@number1sixerfan do you have any more details about how the GSX Mini sounded with the Expanse?

It's been too long for me to go into much detail, but I do remember vividly the sound not changing much as I compared it with my EC Studio B and speaker amps at the time. In comparison, the Susvara did change quite a bit. The Mini felt sufficient for the Expanse, but not the Susvara.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #2,568 of 2,599
Effect Audio sent me a CODE24 cable to try -- this is a nice upgrade to the stock cable. I think it's the first coaxial cable I've ever seen for headphones, other than the CODE23, which is the copper version. Adds space to the sound while keeping the great dynamics, whereas the stock cable gives a sound that is more mid-range focussed. The CODE23 is a bit more mellow, and I like it with the Stealth more. Unfortunately the headphone version is $999, and it's a bit stiff. Icing on the cake if you have a TOTL system though.

IMG_9643.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,569 of 2,599
Effect Audio sent me a CODE24 cable to try -- this is a nice upgrade to the stock cable. I think it's the first coaxial cable I've ever seen for headphones, other than the CODE23, which is the copper version. Adds space to the sound while keeping the great dynamics, whereas the stock cable gives a sound that is more mid-range focussed. The CODE23 is a bit more mellow, and I like it with the Stealth more. Unfortunately the headphone version is $999, and it's a bit stiff. Icing on the cake if you have a TOTL system though.

An energetic, "strong" attack notes from top to bottom, full body and dense tonality, also with expansive soundstage. I haven't tried with Expanse, but synergise well with Meze Elite.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #2,570 of 2,599
A really nice award...

"After conducting more than 200 tests, influential German online magazine Litemagazin , specializing in lifestyle and technology, has awarded its prestigious awards for best products. In the headphones category, Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE took the first place."

426613550_801229035354777_1935005525784797663_n.jpg

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #2,571 of 2,599
A really nice award...

"After conducting more than 200 tests, influential German online magazine Litemagazin , specializing in lifestyle and technology, has awarded its prestigious awards for best products. In the headphones category, Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE took the first place."

Congratulations! Enjoying mine on daily basis, it is a fantastic product.

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #2,572 of 2,599
Super stoked.

Comparing Meze Elites and DCA Expanse this weekend at home.

Running FLAC/WAV Roon-->USB-->Chord Qutest-->Asgard 2.

But...I've been looking to move into tube world and currently considering Cayin HA-6A, Cayin HA-300MK2 or Woo WA22.

Any recommendations on what tube amps would give the best synergy with BOTH the Elites and Expanse? Open to other options. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #2,573 of 2,599
Super stoked.

Comparing Meze Elites and DCA Expanse this weekend at home.

Running FLAC/WAV Roon-->USB-->Chord Qutest-->Asgard 2.

But...I've been looking to move into tube world and currently considering Cayin HA-6A, Cayin HA-300MK2 or Woo WA22.

Any recommendations on what tube amps would give the best synergy with BOTH the Elites and Expanse? Open to other options. Thanks.
I can heartily recommend the HA-300 with the Expanse. Those 300Bs give such great sense of imaging and space, and broaden the Expanse’s soundstage.

Although I’ve not specifically heard the Elites on the same amp, I can’t imagine it not working. It’s so easy to drive.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #2,574 of 2,599
I can heartily recommend the HA-300 with the Expanse. Those 300Bs give such great sense of imaging and space, and broaden the Expanse’s soundstage.

I was surprised to hear that some didn't find the Expanse expansive (sorry here lol), and then another person pointed out this same thing regarding 300bs, which is what I use it with as well.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #2,575 of 2,599
I was surprised to hear that some didn't find the Expanse expansive (sorry here lol), and then another person pointed out this same thing regarding 300bs, which is what I use it with as well.
To me the Expanse definitely don’t do HD800 style oversized soundstage, but are instead more in the Utopia style of small soundstage and pinpoint imaging (but much better, to me). Kind of ironic given the name.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #2,576 of 2,599
To me the Expanse definitely don’t do HD800 style oversized soundstage, but are instead more in the Utopia style of small soundstage and pinpoint imaging (but much better, to me). Kind of ironic given the name.

Yea for sure. Definitely not HD800 or e-stat like levels, but like you mentioned, definitely better than the Utopia in example.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #2,577 of 2,599
I think Expanse has a huge soundstage. That said, it presents differently from the HD800 in a couple of ways.

Expanse places the first row closer to you, so vocals etc are more "intimate," but it also places the furthest objects pretty far back, so front to back depth on Expanse is very large.

I'm not sure if this is how you're viewing soundstage, but often I hear that "it's smaller" when discussing vocals that are nearer, vs overall depth of field. Of course perception and impressions can vary by user and you may be thinking about this way I am and just have a different experience...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #2,578 of 2,599
I think Expanse has a huge soundstage.

I would say it has a pretty accurate soundstage.

What it doesn't (cannot and shouldn't do) is to project the whole sound stage in front of you, like with loudspeakers or a live performance. I was in the nice circumstance to visit a quintet last Wednesday in the local music hall. The sound of the ensemble is not as wide and spread out as a lot of people would like it to be in their hifi setup. It is simply in your front, with some left-right sensation, and diffuseness and reverb due to the hall acoustics that give it its 3D sensation.

IMG_4373.jpeg

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #2,579 of 2,599
I think Expanse has a huge soundstage. That said, it presents differently from the HD800 in a couple of ways.

Expanse places the first row closer to you, so vocals etc are more "intimate," but it also places the furthest objects pretty far back, so front to back depth on Expanse is very large.

I'm not sure if this is how you're viewing soundstage, but often I hear that "it's smaller" when discussing vocals that are nearer, vs overall depth of field. Of course perception and impressions can vary by user and you may be thinking about this way I am and just have a different experience...
I can agree with that. I guess linguistically I was using “soundstage” to describe width, and “pinpoint imaging” to describe depth and placement of images. I agree the Expanse is just very different than the HD800 in how it portrays the stage; with the HD800s, I’m watching the band from a good few rows back, but with the Expanse I’m in a room with the musicians set up around me. So I think we’re saying the same thing, you’re just saying it better :)

In any case, I’m hearing what you’re describing.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,580 of 2,599
I can agree with that. I guess linguistically I was using “soundstage” to describe width, and “pinpoint imaging” to describe depth and placement of images. I agree the Expanse is just very different than the HD800 in how it portrays the stage; with the HD800s, I’m watching the band from a good few rows back, but with the Expanse I’m in a room with the musicians set up around me. So I think we’re saying the same thing, you’re just saying it better :)

In any case, I’m hearing what you’re describing.
…so that’s why we call it Expanse! 😎

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back