Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,426 of 1,907
Briefly, how do you find the E3 presents with Cayin HA-6A ?

Been on look out for good/great tube amp impressions with it.
In short, I felt they paired very well. Finally a headphone, that let me go to 13:00 on the volume knob and see the needles really dance. Happy to expand more on that as well tomorrow.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #1,427 of 1,907
If anyone is using Mojo2 with E3, and you want a bit more neutral sound at either end, these DSP settings might help:
20Hz +2, 125Hz -2, 3000Hz +1, 20kHz -3

Here’s what you’ll get as a deviation from the normal frequency response:
1709081981515.png

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #1,428 of 1,907
Some people here are describing the E3 as having bass slam. Would these phones be ideal for movie watching and gaming?
I'd love to know as well, how are these for gaming?

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #1,429 of 1,907
If anyone is using Mojo2 with E3, and you want a bit more neutral sound at either end, these DSP settings might help:
20Hz +2, 125Hz -2, 3000Hz +1, 20kHz -3

Here’s what you’ll get as a deviation from the normal frequency response:
1709081981515.png
Do you get any veil when using DSP with your tweaks ?
Only the Audeze Reveal preset plug-in seemed to create no veil trying various ones, till I stopped using DSP plug-ins for that.

Tabbing it on and off, there always seemed to be a presentation drawback with parametric EQ.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #1,431 of 1,907
If you want 95% of the Stealth with a warmer sound and more Bass, just close one of the little holes on each cup, sound will be more relaxed and balanced.
But whiiiich hole ?

Am having a T50s flashback.....get out the grams scale and special magic pixie angel hair damping materials...then Sage burning ritual around the cans and play a special ascending and descending frequency for 36 hours exactly before listening.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #1,434 of 1,907
Do you get any veil when using DSP with your tweaks ?
Only the Audeze Reveal preset plug-in seemed to create no veil trying various ones, till I stopped using DSP plug-ins for that.

Tabbing it on and off, there always seemed to be a presentation drawback with parametric EQ.
Using Mojo2, I do not hear any veil. There is not supposed to be with this “Ultra High Def” DSP according to the designer:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...age-95-of-thread.885405/page-92#post-16792115

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,435 of 1,907
I've searched the DAP comments in here and wanted to bump the topic with some new folks in the thread. Anyone had experience with the E3 and a DAP or SMALL (read: bedside/chairside sized) DAC/AMP besides the Hugo/Mojo2/or A&K CA1000 that exceeded your expectations and you are happy with?

Something that would fit on a table a bit smaller than this:

Attachments

• image89305.jpg
    image89305.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #1,436 of 1,907
Thanks! The Stealth is great! Will be happy to elaborate on that asap 😉
hi, do you mind sharing your comparison VS Stealth while the impressions are fresh?

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #1,437 of 1,907
hi, do you mind sharing your comparison VS Stealth while the impressions are fresh?

Don’t mind at all 😊

I need to caveat that the Stealth I have here is ca. 2 years old and probably well burnt in, while the E3 is just a week old and probably clocks around 35-40h now. I’ve been reading up on this thread from the start (still have 32 pages to go) and saw some apt descriptions on the two, with the main difference being what Dan described as sth that is more “felt” than heard. What I did hear is that my E3 comes off as a little brighter, more direct and in my setup sth like 4db louder than the Stealth which, on exactly those qualities, was the more “authoritative”, not quite more relaxed but sth like a Brando vs DeNiro or Obi Wan to Luke. Same “feeling” is for the (sub)bass which, in an A/B type of fast comparison had more character on the Stealth, but after 20 seconds that evens out more.

To me personally, this difference is not worth 2K. Sadly, for what I’d like to have 2K to just spend is the fit of the Stealth. The longer I’ve been wearing both, the more I mind the clamping force of the E3. And I would now go as far as not even calling it “comfortable” anymore. I’m really too sensitive in this regard, but sadly can’t help it. While the Stealth’s pads are little more rigid (less soft) than the E3’s (which have pretty nice, soft pads) they sit softer on my head and come pretty close to what I can accept for a whole album. With the E3, I start messing with the cups after every 2nd song.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #1,438 of 1,907
@mrspeakers is there any way to loosen the clamping force slightly on the E3 (other than exchanging the whole mechanism like Plakat did)? That would truly make it perfect for me 😇

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #1,439 of 1,907
☺️ The stealth thread is riddled with “is there anyway to increase the clamping force on the stealth” questions. So I’m sure there’s a feeling at DCA HQ of “we can’t win”, It’s always something, ha!

For me I prefer cup shape of stealth to e3 so far, e3 seem to get me on the rear corners of my jawbones a bit so I have to adjust every so often.

These are what I had hoped for beyond the Stealth for sure though. A bit more “fun” tuned with the same clarity and black as night background.

Feb 29, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #1,440 of 1,907
☺️ The stealth thread is riddled with “is there anyway to increase the clamping force on the stealth” questions. So I’m sure there’s a feeling at DCA HQ of “we can’t win”, It’s always something, ha!

Totally feel that (sorry, Dan!) and so wish it was the other way round. I just cannot justify spending 2K on clamping force difference 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back