Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Feb 19, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #1,366 of 1,893
IMO E3 doesn’t have a sibilance problem, rather a problem with unnatural forwardness in the upper mid. The issue is less obvious with warm tilt gear but it’s still there. I tried a few EQ to fix but EQ ended up degrading the mid quality generally. I also tried full set of DCA tuning pads, TP, stocking, and other damping materials to varying degrees of success but none cured or mitigated the problem enough to my liking.

But even with that problem E3 is your only option if you want closed (that sounds open) and can’t stand the anemic bass/lack of emotion/lack of dynamic from Stealth.
I wouldn’t say it’s unnatural…maybe just a very close position, versus mid-hall?

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #1,367 of 1,893
Would you please measure the inner hole of the pads (to acommodate your ears)? I have big ears and I'm very sensitive when pads touch them :slight_frown:

And, for which genres do you prefer the E3s? Or you consider them a multigenre pair of headphones?

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #1,368 of 1,893
Would you please measure the inner hole of the pads (to acommodate your ears)? I have big ears and I'm very sensitive when pads touch them :slight_frown:

And, for which genres do you prefer the E3s? Or you consider them a multigenre pair of headphones?

Very nearly 3" tall and 2" wide measuring across the center. It has one of the biggest inner diameters I've encountered in a long time. Despite that, its group delay/internal reflections are as minimal as an IEM - truly marvelous engineering.

Genre preference really comes down to the person. I find that I favor the E3's frequency response (or with a tiny 1-2 dB bass shelf, I'm indifferent to this) for every genre. I seem to very strongly favor Harman preference tuning; going off of memory I'd never want to go back to the sound signatures of even other headphones I loved like the Stax SR-009 which previously towered over everything else I'd heard for my preferences.

The treble just outclasses all other over-ears for me, the mids are perfect but I'm ambivalent about moving them back ever so slightly with that small bass shelf (that's how I perceive it). The bass is where I want it +/- 1-2 dB and I get a great seal. I don't listen too loudly so bass distortion isn't a problem for me.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #1,369 of 1,893
Very nearly 3" tall and 2" wide measuring across the center. It has one of the biggest inner diameters I've encountered in a long time. Despite that, its group delay/internal reflections are as minimal as an IEM - truly marvelous engineering.

Genre preference really comes down to the person. I find that I favor the E3's frequency response (or with a tiny 1-2 dB bass shelf, I'm indifferent to this) for every genre. I seem to very strongly favor Harman preference tuning; going off of memory I'd never want to go back to the sound signatures of even other headphones I loved like the Stax SR-009 which previously towered over everything else I'd heard for my preferences.

The treble just outclasses all other over-ears for me, the mids are perfect but I'm ambivalent about moving them back ever so slightly with that small bass shelf (that's how I perceive it). The bass is where I want it +/- 1-2 dB and I get a great seal. I don't listen too loudly so bass distortion isn't a problem for me.
Have you heard any of the Abyss Diana line to qualify that ?...cans you were referring to ?
Even at Diana 2 level I found that can's treble absolutely jaw-drop amazing....never heard anything more natural or better...their ergonomics though were not good and really need an entirely fresh exterior IMO....golden line of planar drivers in wonked can bodies.
I've just not got the E3 in front of any more matched gear than Hugo 2 to really hear its full presentation as with my ears I have a volume ceiling with them - due to H2's combined brightness/hardness upper mids.
Others seem to have no issue with H2 but not for me with this can. My other thicker presentation euphonic cans are perfect with H2...such a simple audio chain with a DDC unit velcro-d on to it.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #1,370 of 1,893
Have you heard any of the Abyss Diana line to qualify that ?...cans you were referring to ?
Even at Diana 2 level I found that can's treble absolutely jaw-drop amazing....never heard anything more natural or better...their ergonomics though were not good and really need an entirely fresh exterior IMO....golden line of planar drivers in wonked can bodies.
I've just not got the E3 in front of any more matched gear than Hugo 2 to really hear its full presentation as with my ears I have a volume ceiling with them - due to H2's combined brightness/hardness upper mids.
Others seem to have no issue with H2 but not for me with this can. My other thicker presentation euphonic cans are perfect with H2...such a simple audio chain with a DDC unit velcro-d on to it.

I don't think I've ever listened to the Dianas, only the Abyss AB-1266 and Abyss Phi CC. I was unimpressed by those to say the least, but that has no bearing on the Dianas.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #1,371 of 1,893

Thanks a lot. When you first listened to the E3s (I saw that in your review), you said that they don't make the K371 terrible.

How do you compare both headphones, being both Harman oriented?

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #1,372 of 1,893
Thanks a lot. When you first listened to the E3s (I saw that in your review), you said that they don't make the K371 terrible.

How do you compare both headphones, being both Harman oriented?

The biggest differences I hear are in the treble where the E3 sounds more linear (not sure if it even is) and generally more special somehow, and then separation and spatial properties sound better on the E3, plus the mids sound slightly more natural to me. This is with the K371's main issues EQ'd away, since by default it has a gap to plug just below 4 KHz (makes a big difference) and is too bassy for me.

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #1,373 of 1,893
So today it's E3's turn again to impress me with his performance
(That it doesn't mean that I only have ears for the composer)

Well, I don't know where you can improve the mids and highs here..... it doesn't get any better acoustically speaking

Close your eyes and enjoy these two legends😇 with the E3 👍

NOMAX

PS.And about the low end of E3....Everyone knows my personal opinion 😎

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #1,374 of 1,893
I don't think I've ever listened to the Dianas, only the Abyss AB-1266 and Abyss Phi CC. I was unimpressed by those to say the least, but that has no bearing on the Dianas.
given the rant I read on your profile about the relative merits of audio components why would you ever come on this site?

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #1,375 of 1,893
I used to own the original Abyss an I know what you mean…
Tried some Diana variants over the past few years and really don’t see/hear them calling me.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #1,377 of 1,893
Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,378 of 1,893
Thanks for sharing, hadn't seen it yet!

One of my favorite things about pretty much all the E3 reviews has been that most of them seem to have had no material "con" or "quibble."
Understandable... its a really solid offer. One can always nitpick but after owning them for some months the only flaw I see is that I don't spent enough time with them -- hardly your fault though :wink:

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #1,379 of 1,893
The room is simply always realistic in which the voice and the piano are placed 👍

NOMAX

PS.Nice evening to all from Austria

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #1,380 of 1,893

I would actually suggest the Abyss MR they are not clampy at all and they would allow air flow
I ended up returning E3, trying Hifiman he1000se returning them for brightness and landing on the he1000v2 at $1200 then added Audio-gd R28-NOS for another $1200. I'm loving the sound, but still find myself cringing with certain horns, violins. It's way better with this warm setup, but it makes me think it's just my hearing.

I remembered this discussion and the suggestions above. Do I recall correctly that these cans are well known for avoiding harsh/bright highs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back