Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 22, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #946 of 2,026
Getting used to the mojo 2 ui such that my only qualm is the wired connection with phone. Does anyone have impressions on adding the poly (doubling the price of mojo 2)? At that price ($1300) I could step into an entirely different category...
Poly is a waste of money.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #948 of 2,026
Don't get me wrong, but I don't know where the HD820 would be ahead of the E3 😂

NOMAX

PS.The HD820 is a pure disaster for me personally 🙈
I wonder if Sennheiser has any competitive closed back headphone? Not teasing just curious.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #950 of 2,026
Sorry to hear that. Did you find these problems in normal music listening too, or only in your studio work? I had a bit similar case years ago in my little home studio with loudspeakers.
In normal music listening the loudspeakers sounded totally normal, but with some instrument (raw) sound the other speaker distorted slightly. The seller believed the problem, changed the speakers and the problem vanished.
Occurred to my mind that these kind of problems possibly don't come evident in normal quality control. I believe Dan Clark surely is very interested to find out the cause of your rattling sound problem(s).
It is not readily apparent in most music but IS audible. It wasn’t until I was working on my own track after about 2 hours of use when I noticed it, but after isolating it, and realizing what was causing it, it did rear its head in other music too.

For example, in the song Mother’s Love by The Vernon Spring, the piano has most transients in the right ear, despite that, there low-mid resonance from the piano causes a great deal of noticeable rattling in the headphones.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #951 of 2,026
Getting used to the mojo 2 ui such that my only qualm is the wired connection with phone. Does anyone have impressions on adding the poly (doubling the price of mojo 2)? At that price ($1300) I could step into an entirely different category...
If you primarily use Roon, Poly is a must have, IMO. If not, it depends on how you consume your portable music. If you have a large local (SD card) collection or want to stream with unlimited data, Poly might still be for you.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #952 of 2,026
Here are some options:
1. Buy Poly
2. Stream from your laptop/PC --> Mojo 2 --> headphones
3. Use your phone to cast/airplay to your streaming app on your laptop/PC

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #953 of 2,026
It is not readily apparent in most music but IS audible. It wasn’t until I was working on my own track after about 2 hours of use when I noticed it, but after isolating it, and realizing what was causing it, it did rear its head in other music too.

For example, in the song Mother’s Love by The Vernon Spring, the piano has most transients in the right ear, despite that, there low-mid resonance from the piano causes a great deal of noticeable rattling in the headphones.
In my old case piano sound was the difficult one too. It's difficult to say is the rattle or distortion caused by dynamics in certain frequency area and heard as some kind of acoustic resonance.
I made a little google inquiry with headphones rattle and it didn't seem to be an especially rare phenomenom. Cases were reported with many different hdph labels. Causes like little hair particles resonating inside the structure or some structural components contacting and resonating. Hopefully your problem gets a good solution.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #954 of 2,026
In my old case piano sound was the difficult one too. It's difficult to say is the rattle or distortion caused by dynamics in certain frequency area and heard as some kind of acoustic resonance.
I made a little google inquiry with headphones rattle and it didn't seem to be an especially rare phenomenom. Cases were reported with many different hdph labels. Causes like little hair particles resonating inside the structure or some structural components contacting and resonating. Hopefully your problem gets a good solution.
Thanks very much! Beyond that, these headphones are fantastic, I do think my issue will be resolved one way or another, as DCA seems to be very on top their customer support, and they've been very transparent with me. Theses might be the most tonally-balanced headphones I've ever used - almost everything sounds good on them.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #955 of 2,026
Thanks very much! Beyond that, these headphones are fantastic, I do think my issue will be resolved one way or another, as DCA seems to be very on top their customer support, and they've been very transparent with me. Theses might be the most tonally-balanced headphones I've ever used - almost everything sounds good on them.
You're wellcome. Have you tried to exclude e.g possible cable problems which might cause such disturbances that you are hearing. Maybe the E3's are not at all responsible for the heard rattles. If possible try to exclude all the possible causes one by one.

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #960 of 2,026
I hope it's okay if I continue to let you guys know about the E3 unit I have that's rattling (my second rattling pair) - today I discovered that there is actually loose metamaterial in the left driver too, I didn't notice until I looked closer with a light, but yes, unmistakably loose bits in my driver, I can move them around with my finger through the film, I found this quite insane. Moving the metamaterial around didn't remove/change the rattling in the left driver either, meaning there are two separate issues with this second unit! Both on the same ear. I didn't want to prod at the loose material in fear of anything getting worse, but I wanted to check if it was movable, it was indeed.

I feel the need to reiterate, I got these only 2 days ago, I've owned TOTL headphones for 3+ years and sold them in like-new condition, I take good care of my units ... I've never seen QC issues this serious before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back