Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #976 of 1,934
I've recently got a positive impression of the hd 820 via comparison to the E3 , I guess its interesting how older headphones get re reviewed this way. They didn't mention what many say, that it's basically a headphone to avoid. A real bad reputation.. I checked the Currawong review again, and you didn't get any impression of it being a disaster at all. Just not enough bass from a satisfactory clamp seal (excuse if I'm mis quoting).. But you didn't actually say you can reccomend it outright. And you didn't compare hd820 in your E3 review.. Im confused now because I was happy believing (I have no way to test headphones) from the majority concensus amd had drawn a line through 820s. Now I am back thinking I can get these with best width in a closed back and I can EQ the bass (bass boost button on an ifi hip dac example).. genres Jazz, Soundtracks , Modern Classical, IDM, Jackson Browne, Sinatra). Thanks.
The problem was twofold: Firstly, Sennheiser were stuck with using a headband design that is unsuitable for closed-backed headphones, so it is hard to get a proper seal for many people. For example, I had to put it at an odd angle on my head to get a seal. The second problem is, they just didn't explain anything to anyone at all, but left people having bad impressions of the headphones, preventing people even having a chance of hearing what they can do.
I had a long conversation with them prior to the review, and was left with the impression that they have fundamental issues as a company communicating with consumers, especially enthusiasts, and have an old-school corporate culture that is holding them back. They couldn't just straight-out say "We were stuck with the headband design. It's not ideal, and you really need to make sure you get a good seal with it. We're going to figure out something better with any future designs.".
This is really why companies like DCA have taken off, because Dan can just be straight-up about his designs, without having to worry about all the corporate nervosa. But also, he can do radical things without having to justify it to anyone but the customer.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #977 of 1,934
The problem was twofold: Firstly, Sennheiser were stuck with using a headband design that is unsuitable for closed-backed headphones, so it is hard to get a proper seal for many people. For example, I had to put it at an odd angle on my head to get a seal. The second problem is, they just didn't explain anything to anyone at all, but left people having bad impressions of the headphones, preventing people even having a chance of hearing what they can do.
I had a long conversation with them prior to the review, and was left with the impression that they have fundamental issues as a company communicating with consumers, especially enthusiasts, and have an old-school corporate culture that is holding them back. They couldn't just straight-out say "We were stuck with the headband design. It's not ideal, and you really need to make sure you get a good seal with it. We're going to figure out something better with any future designs.".
This is really why companies like DCA have taken off, because Dan can just be straight-up about his designs, without having to worry about all the corporate nervosa. But also, he can do radical things without having to justify it to anyone but the customer.
.. Thank you for clarification. So it would seem they wont clamp properly enough for a closed back on my average sized head to get the intended sound.(your head is average and i might be smaller still)..Pity as there's a 1.199euro refurbed outlet set available. The price is tempting if thicker pads worked the seal problem. That and a warm dac and upper level soundtage happiness could come together rapidly...or I wait for a refurb 800s and play it safe + indoors! I'm coming from Shure 840a (which are very good for their price, check em out 😀) and Senn IE600.

On them being PR disaster If you are an enthusiast ,especially über one like yourself , reaching out in all directions for info on new kit, that would leave a bad mark against them as a group to want further dealings with.
If they gave me any guff if my IE600 became faulty I'd go up the road to the Tullamore factory and heckle from the gate (and as being led away)...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #979 of 1,934
Hello people of head fi I wonder if anyone else has a problem with fit. To elaborate a little when I put it on the headband(padding?? Idk what to call it) reaches and comes in contact with the bendy wires on top causing “rubbing” noise each time i make even a slight head movement. It made listening to music incredibly difficult since I am also very aware of the fact and have to pretty much keep my head immobile. Also I wish it would clamp a bit tighter because I cant even look down or else it would slide. Otherwise Im very much enjoying this headphone if not for the fit issue infact it’s the first time I didn’t really have regret for spending so much on a headphone. Please note English is not my native language so please forgive me for any grammatical mistakes made and thanks

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #980 of 1,934
Based on Currawong's description of sound characteristics (I finally took the time to watch his Youtube review), I'm a little bit surprised that I haven't seen more comment about "shouty" upper mids. Then again, I'm likely projecting here based on my preferences.

I'm a little less excited to audition the E3, and way less excited to buy-to-try because I am very averse to "forward" upper mids (I do tend to say "shouty" when the consensus is that upper mids are forward/"intense") in the same way other people are treble sensitive. A buddy is thinking of buying these down the road, so maybe I'll get a chance to listen to the E3 at some point.

I continue to be very intrigued by the tech underlying this set.

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #981 of 1,934
Based on Currawong's description of sound characteristics (I finally took the time to watch his Youtube review), I'm a little bit surprised that I haven't seen more comment about "shouty" upper mids. Then again, I'm likely projecting here based on my preferences.

I'm a little less excited to audition the E3, and way less excited to buy-to-try because I am very averse to "forward" upper mids (I do tend to say "shouty" when the consensus is that upper mids are forward/"intense") in the same way other people are treble sensitive. A buddy is thinking of buying these down the road, so maybe I'll get a chance to listen to the E3 at some point.

I'm usually averse to it as well, but it seems to be less of a problem than I anticipated. It's more likely some people directly comparing headphones that have a more pulled-back mid-range and/or upper-mids might find them too forward. If I pick them up first during the day, it isn't a problem for me -- only if I compare headphones does it sometimes sound "wrong". I think the major saving grace is the sound quality brought by the AMTS which makes this less of a potential issue.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #982 of 1,934
Hello people of head fi I wonder if anyone else has a problem with fit. To elaborate a little when I put it on the headband(padding?? Idk what to call it) reaches and comes in contact with the bendy wires on top causing “rubbing” noise each time i make even a slight head movement. It made listening to music incredibly difficult since I am also very aware of the fact and have to pretty much keep my head immobile. Also I wish it would clamp a bit tighter because I cant even look down or else it would slide. Otherwise Im very much enjoying this headphone if not for the fit issue infact it’s the first time I didn’t really have regret for spending so much on a headphone. Please note English is not my native language so please forgive me for any grammatical mistakes made and thanks
What is the shape f your head? That might help Dan with ideas. I’m picturing larger bit as a longer thinner oval?

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #983 of 1,934

Not “shouty” IMO but not natural or neutral sounding either. My only caveat is that perception of upper mids depends in part on the shape of the ear canal so YMMV.

Edit: this is not something you can EQ your own out IMO. I tried that and also tried a bunch of tuning pads and other damping materials.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #984 of 1,934
I'm usually averse to it as well, but it seems to be less of a problem than I anticipated. It's more likely some people directly comparing headphones that have a more pulled-back mid-range and/or upper-mids might find them too forward. If I pick them up first during the day, it isn't a problem for me -- only if I compare headphones does it sometimes sound "wrong". I think the major saving grace is the sound quality brought by the AMTS which makes this less of a potential issue.
I don’t think we need to compromise at this level of pricing. If something sounds off to you it’s off. Of course your brain is very flexible when it comes to sensory perception and will get used to cans eventually if it’s not too wonky. But why would you continue to eat food you find disgusting initially with the hope that you will acquire that taste later on? Life is too short for that.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #985 of 1,934
We can easily help with clamp just email info at danclarkaudio, Sue will send you a simple kit that takes <5 min, that will likely help with your other issue as well. You can also fiddle with whether the strap is own the crown of the head or rotate it to move the strap forward and the headphone tip along the back of the jaw.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #986 of 1,934
I don’t think we need to compromise at this level of pricing. If something sounds off to you it’s off. Of course your brain is very flexible when it comes to sensory perception and will get used to cans eventually if it’s not too wonky. But why would you continue to eat food you find disgusting initially with the hope that you will acquire that taste later on? Life is too short for that.
Well, my parents used to make me gag down salmon, now it’s one of my favorite foods. Just saying… 🤣

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #987 of 1,934
Well, my parents used to make me gag down salmon, now it’s one of my favorite foods. Just saying… 🤣
Could I introduce you to some Chinese stinky tofu? :sweat_smile:
Yes, that looks like mold to me :beerchug:

1706202973702.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #988 of 1,934
The AMTS and the fascinating struggle to attain a kind of holy grail of open closed backs , reminds my of the other highly important one of the perfect Guinness from another kind of can which I prefer open. The aluminium kind, with the widget inside being the tech. 😄

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #989 of 1,934
That's some impressive hearing capability.:robot:

Every track benefits from the lowering

The result to my ears...

Doesn't seem so puffed up

Drums come into their own better here😎

Bass Notes hits here more harder😎

Here more punchier😎

❗️With music like the next two tracks, the reduction wouldn't really make a sense and not a better clear difference❗

NOMAX

PS.You just have to close your eyes and listen carefully😉...-2db would be too much on the RME
-1 to max -1.5db and then really excellent the low end and more realistic👍👍
(And it's just my feeling as I hear it with my ears)

I take a relaxed view for the 2.500 euros asking price
In the even higher price segment, however, I would like to see in the future the golden middle between Flat and the 2018 Harman
This would serve those who want fun as well as those who value a more natural presentation

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #990 of 1,934
And sorry for my editing but I have to work with the translater 🙈
(So I hope you will please forgive me 🤪)

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Sopp
Back