DAC/AMP Question. HD-25-ii
May 11, 2010 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BassinURface

Head-Fier
I finally got my hands on my HD-25-ii ! [My first legit cans] woop woop!

Anyway I needed a little advice. I was reading that the HD-25's dont really need to be amped on the go .. lets say from an ipod. I was looking at the pico slims but i have no idea what to expect from it.

But my real question is here Im always with my laptop .[ Laptop DJ .. house electro] and I was thinking should i get a portable Rigg.. Or leave it alone and maybe get a DAC/AMP for my laptop .. etc Ibasso D4 mamba? 

I basically dont want to feel like I need an upgrade for a while and I can drive a lot of headphones with it. So any recommendations comments would be appreciated!

Thanks head-fi! except for the wallet thing 
beerchug.gif

May 11, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 5
The Mamba is a great item to get for your needs. Whether you plan to go it with the laptop or use an iPod, the Mamba can handle it with aplomb.  As a DAC it is very good, giving you a very crisp, clear, punchy sound with a lot of body and weight. You can then output it through the amp section to your HD25 with very good results. I do not know how the HD25 sounds with the mamba though, actually I don't know what the HD25 sounds like period as I have never heard it.

Using your iPod you can use an LOD straight to the mamba and get an excellent sound as well through the amp. Same thing.

One thing about portable amps... don't expect too much out of them, they do not work magic, they are usually not going to make headphones sound different. Unless it's a really huge powerful, quality home amp.  

The only portable amp I heard that significantly changed the sound characteristics of headphones I used with it was the D10 Cobra.

May 11, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 5
just saw this thread
and i have the same problem (even have the same phones)

i have been told to look at the
uDAC & the ibasso d2

May 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Fantastic headphones - I've been using them for over 10 years in its various incarnations - with no amps. 

Only started using it with a Milletts portable tube amp TTVJ/Hybrid last year. 

It's really superb - opens up the sound stage and adds more powerful bass attack and tight rhythm section.  You can hear the bass lines so clear and the
mid-range really gets stretched sonically that no one who's ever whinged about the HD25II's being "too dark" will refrain from seeing the light. 

Waiting for my Headamp Slim amp.  No sign of it for another month yet so can't help there.  There is no point in using a Fiio5 - these do minimal exc. 
bass improvement.  

If the Headamp is anything like the packaging, I can't wait.   These headphones don't need a digital volume pot either.  Get a rich warm tube amp if you're
listening to music from your laptop.  If you do active sports whilst listening to music, you need to strap up a tube amp to stop vibrations.  Or just get a steady state one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back