D.C. Area Meet (Sunday, August 30, 2015) - part of CanMania @ Capital Audio Fest (CAF) 2015
Aug 25, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #166 of 234
Hi all, looking forward to meeting fellow enthusiasts! I will be present Sunday noon through early afternoon and am bringing:

FiiO E12

Vorzuge VorzAMP Pure II and Pure II+

FiiO E17, E18

Chord Hugo

Resonessence Labs HERUS

iFi iDSD micro

Astell & Kern AK120II Red Wine Audio mod

OPPO PM-2, PM-3

Audeze LCD-XC

assorted AudioQuest and Moon Audio interconnects

some SACD rips from my PS3 and assorted "hi-res" purchases. See y'all!

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #170 of 234
Hi all, looking forward to meeting fellow enthusiasts! I will be present Sunday noon through early afternoon and am bringing:

FiiO E12

Vorzuge VorzAMP Pure II and Pure II+

FiiO E17, E18

Chord Hugo

Resonessence Labs HERUS

iFi iDSD micro

Astell & Kern AK120II Red Wine Audio mod

OPPO PM-2, PM-3

Audeze LCD-XC

assorted AudioQuest and Moon Audio interconnects

some SACD rips from my PS3 and assorted "hi-res" purchases. See y'all!

Wow! Highly interested in hearing the Chord. See you Sunday.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #171 of 234
So these just arrived 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #173 of 234
Initial impression is slightly better clarity over tubes.  I really like how this amp is sounding with these, and I have a Lyr 2 so no issues with noise floor, not even on high gain.  Whatever fuzzyness there was to the sound with tubes is totally gone, everything sounds just a little bit more precise and tight compared to listening with tubes in and I'm really digging it.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #174 of 234
Initial impression is slightly better clarity over tubes.  I really like how this amp is sounding with these, and I have a Lyr 2 so no issues with noise floor, not even on high gain.  Whatever fuzzyness there was to the sound with tubes is totally gone, everything sounds just a little bit more precise and tight compared to listening with tubes in and I'm really digging it.

That's interesting. Do you detect any differences in bass depth or decay rates?

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #175 of 234
That's interesting. Do you detect any differences in bass depth or decay rates?

No so much in depth, as that was never really an issue for me with the Lyr 2 in the first place, even with tubes (I was using a pair of NOS Amperex Orange Globes).  Decay does seem just a bit quicker, which may be what I am describing as that cleaner, tighter sound.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #176 of 234
Thanks to @Asr, we're going to have an ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 elctrostatic/dynamic headphone at our meet. Even as I write this, the Dharma is winging it's way from Colorado to Maryland. Asr organized the recent Denver meet and arranged with ENIGMAcoustics to pass it along for the DC meet, and ENIGMAcoustics is happy to have it at CAF. The Dharma is an interesting hybrid headphone and will be nice to have at the meet.

If possible, someone should try the Dharma on the MicroZOTL 2 that will be at CAF courtesy of Urban HiFi. That should be really interesting....
wink.gif

Or even better, maybe someone could ask Urban HiFi if they'd consider moving their MicroZOTL 2 to the Head-Fi meet where it would likely get way more attention.....

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #177 of 234
Do you all know if there will be a HP room Saturday like there was last year in addition to the meet? Saturday may be the only day I can come :frowning2:

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #178 of 234
  Do you all know if there will be a HP room Saturday like there was last year in addition to the meet? Saturday may be the only day I can come :frowning2:

I think the main issue is headphone vendors are heading to London this coming weekend. So we locals are simply hosting our own meet on Sunday. So no, I don't think there will be a headphone room like last year. I read that Woo Audio would still be participating, and (just conjecture on my part) they may have a couple of headphone amps.

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #179 of 234
Gotta say this is really turning out to be an expensive hobby - replacement of one component drives the desire to replace another. The first headphone I plugged into the Multibit (Denon AH-D2000) sounds absolutely fantastic. It really opens up. The other three headphones I've been using (HiFiMan HE-400S, NAD VISO HP50, and Sennheiser HD650) really aren't registering anything sonically new for me. I guess those three were built to "tame" harsh digital sound.

I'll bring the whole kit, but really recommend you plug in your own headphones, via 1/4" jack or your own amplifier, to hear for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back