Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Sep 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 482

did not have an amp (out) so why in the world would a DAC hiss :wink:

Ah ok I got ya.  haha I didn't think of that.  So no hissing then =) 

Hmmm that makes me rethink where I got the hissing though...I think its because I was thinking of pairing the CLAS R/MKIII.  I think that the MKIII may be what may cause the background hiss.  I don't currently have these but I am reading around looking for something to use with my CIEMs.  

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #17 of 482
I have had the theorem 720 for a couple of days now and have listened for a few hours with many different types of music. I have compared the sound quality with my RSA intruder amp/dac using the same IEMs. My IEMs are the JH Audio 13 pros. I am using my galaxy S4 as the source. I am connecting my JH audio 13's to both amp/dacs using moon audio silver dragon balanced connector. I have both the theorem and the intruder set to the low output setting. I am using poweramp pro to play music when connecting to the intruder and USB audio recorder pro when connecting to the theorem. I only tested 16/44.1 files. 

The theorem 720 has a more neutral presentation than the intruder with more micro and macro detail with all types of music. The theorem fits the size of my galaxy s4 better especially for traveling. The intruder has a warmer fatter sound that covers up small details in the music. The theorem has a deeper soundstage that sounds more natural to me than the intruder. 

The theorem is much larger and heavier than the intruder. With my source and IEMs there is no question there is noticeable hiss when listening to the theorem. The hiss is easily heard when connecting the IEM cable to the theorem and turning it on while keeping the volume at the lowest setting. The hiss is not as noticeable while listening to rock/pop music. Unfortunately I can easily discern the hiss while listening to any music that has quiet passages. The XRCD2 version of Hell Freezes Over has great dynamics with very quiet passages. The hiss is heard in all of the quiet passages. The hiss is loud enough to obscure background detail and outer detail especially in classical music. The theorem pops and clicks when connecting my galaxy S4 to the USB port using the moon audio silver dragon USB cable. It has no problems using the same type of cable that comes in the box with the theorem. 

Overall I like the neutrality of the theorem better than intruder. However, the intruder is dead quiet with my IEMs. The better detail of the theorem is partially negated by the background hiss. The hiss covers over the very thing that makes the theorem so good - the greater detail. 

If I had to choose, Which I do have to choose. I have to choose the intruder because of the lack of background hiss. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #19 of 482
My new Theorem 720 out the box pictures

Source : iPhone 4 s
Dac / Amp : Cyber labs Theorem 720
Cable : moon audio silver dragon v1
Iems :
No hiss to low noise
Earsonic Sm 64 v1.
Unique Melody 3 DD universal
Phonak Pfe 232

Hiss without music play
Demo 1964
Fit Ear MH 335 DW
Westone Um 3 x rc

Headphone : LCD 2 rev 3 Zero Noise
LCD 3 Zero Noise
Fostex TH 900 can hear very low noise / hiss

SQ out the box :

I am under estimate from this dac amp Thorem 720
SQ excellent if without hiss to BA iems
Power : the biggest power from portable dac / amp
Is bigger than my Alo RX 3 B
It is definitely more for Headphones than iems

Is you like clarity ,very good detail , very good separation, very excellent bass impact and speed and wide and tall soundstage than Cyberlabs Thorem is your choice

I love out the box SQ

My IMO

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #21 of 482
My another pair set up with new Theorem 720

Source : iPhone 4 s
Dac / Amp : Cyberlabs Theorem 720
Headphone : Fostex TH 900
Cable : cyberlabs stock cable mini USB to LOD

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 482
Cyberlabs Theorem 720 as pure I Device DAC

Source : IPhone 4 s
Dac : Cyberlabs Theorem 720 as pure iDevice DAC
Amp :Mass Ko Bo 385
Iem : Unique Melody 3 DD

SQ : heavenly Sound Quality

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #26 of 482
My Cyberlabs Theorem driving balance headphones

Source : iPhone 4s
Dac / Amp : Cyberlabs Theorem 720
Headphones : LCD 2 rev 3 with Norse Audio balance RSA
Sennheiser HD 800 with Whiplash customer made twag Twcu balance RSA
Cable : mini USB to Lod stock cable from acyberlabs

With balance cable you can get more balance in all frequencies

I love my Theorem more and more :D

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #27 of 482
Ultrasone ED 8 Ruthenium best synergy with a Theorem 720

Source : IPhone 4 s
Dac / Amp : Cyberlabs Theorem 720 DAC
Headphone : Ultrasone ED 8 Ruthenium
Cable : Whiplash Audio Twag / Twcu hybrid cable v2 balance RSA

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #28 of 482
Picture Spam
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #29 of 482
It is plus point , Theorem has line output like my IBasso HDP R10

You can use your line out put as pure DAC from your Theorem .

And connect to another external amp

I was more getting at built-in versus external amp purely SQ

Putting aside weight, size etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back