Cypher Labs Theorem 720
Jun 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #361 of 482
Has anyone used both the hifi-m8 and the theorem 720 dac? Was wondering how they compare to each other and which DAC/AMP to get currently am using the HE-400i and also Fostex TH600.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #363 of 482
I have had both but kept the Theorem. Both are good but I prefered the sound (and size) of the Theorem over the M8, especially with planars and the HD650.
But tastes are personal of course.

Have you looked at the Hugo or Alo CDM?

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #364 of 482
I had the M8 and now have the 720 - damn this thing has some punch to it. Superior to the M8 IMO - but my M8 had the IEM mod, so power isn't equal to the T720. Maybe a regular M8 would have equal punch - but signature is superior on the 720. It sounds better all around. I was worried about the hiss everyone talks about, but it really is less than negligible - you can tell when the amp turns on, but it hardly qualifies as hiss. I have used SE846, UM Pro50, 1964 Ears V8 and V6-Stage - all except the Pro50 are super sensitive, but I can pause the music and the background is pretty black...

Whew - I was a bit worried about it. Mine was bought used so there are some hours on the unit - I imagine it just needed to be burned in a bit. 

The sound is rich and dynamic - detailed and neutral with a hint of warmth... Lots of air.. I haven't found a piece of music it cannot keep up with - and it has such great control over the BA headphones - they are able to turn on a dime. I am simply using it as a DAC/Amp with my iMac....

Brilliant - just brilliant.

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #365 of 482
  I had the M8 and now have the 720 - damn this thing has some punch to it. Superior to the M8 IMO - but my M8 had the IEM mod, so power isn't equal to the T720. Maybe a regular M8 would have equal punch - but signature is superior on the 720. It sounds better all around. I was worried about the hiss everyone talks about, but it really is less than negligible - you can tell when the amp turns on, but it hardly qualifies as hiss. I have used SE846, UM Pro50, 1964 Ears V8 and V6-Stage - all except the Pro50 are super sensitive, but I can pause the music and the background is pretty black...

Whew - I was a bit worried about it. Mine was bought used so there are some hours on the unit - I imagine it just needed to be burned in a bit. 

The sound is rich and dynamic - detailed and neutral with a hint of warmth... Lots of air.. I haven't found a piece of music it cannot keep up with - and it has such great control over the BA headphones - they are able to turn on a dime. I am simply using it as a DAC/Amp with my iMac....

Add to the wonderful sound sign, CL customer service is top notch. I once sent my 720 to service, David sent me back a new one. Emails were replied within an hour. They are awesome :x

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #366 of 482
I have to say. I agree. Cypher Labs customer service is the best in the industry. I hope someone important from the company reads and knows this. Great product, great (if not better) service. Impossible to find in this era. I hope David knows I still am VERY grateful for sending me an extra connector when the original one had a bad connection as well as being an honest person and giving me a price match. I very much dislike the arrogant - audiophilic types who belittle people who may not know as much about this hobby. CL is the farthest thing away from this. I'll tell you what though, I'll never buy any equipment from the person who makes "silver dragon" cables...I didn't find him very professional at all.

And it's also great to hear you are enjoying your 720. I love it to death. I use IEMS quite a bit, so I did experience the hiss somewhat, but only during extra quiet passages. It just sounds sweet, brings out an extra dimension and layering quality to your music. I also love the rotary dial. Very fun to have some tacticality in a world of digital/touch screen equipment.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #367 of 482

I got to tell you, the M8 is one of the most disappointing products I had to review. It was just lifeless compared to the 720. YMMV.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #369 of 482
I've just ordered my balanced cable for my Oppo PM-3 and Theorem 720 from Surf cables. I hope to hear an improvement in SQ.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #370 of 482
The one thing that did intrigue me about the m8 was the eq adjustments.

Not sure if it is a positive or negative, but the EQ controls on the M8 are subtle, very subtle bumps in bass/treble. The one thing I did enjoy was the adjustable OI switch - when I would listen with my Velvet or UM Pro50 a higher impedance did make (again) a very subtle difference. Most people I spoke to about the amp though, left it on >1ohm and forgot about it.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #371 of 482
guys http://www.head-fi.org/t/778239/cypher-labs-sustain84-desktop-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #372 of 482
Currently have this setup:

Ipod touch 5th gen --> 720 DAC --> Ibasso PB2 --> balanced cable --> HD650.  The sound quality is nothing short of amazing.  Anyone who complains about the hd650 "veil" should try this.  

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #374 of 482
Currently have this setup:

Ipod touch 5th gen --> 720 DAC --> Ibasso PB2 --> balanced cable --> HD650.  The sound quality is nothing short of amazing.  Anyone who complains about the hd650 "veil" should try this.  

Got this set up except my source is 5.5G mod by Vinni Rossi and no HD-650. However, CL720 and ALO RxMK3B have excellent SQ if go with balanced HP.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #375 of 482
I just found out now that i won cypherlabs contest last year for the custom theorem 720.it seems davids email went to my spam folder that i overlook it.:sob:

Omg I am crying for you. This is the saddest thing I've ever heard on head fi. :disappointed:
Sorry that happened. The Cypher is just amazing and I am currently saving up for it to upgrade my FIIO E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back